Colorado - San Jose (Friday, 10/10) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The final score is:

&nbsp[​IMG] [​IMG]
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 0 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 0

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp You can read a recap of the game here.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

2. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would rather have three points instead of one, but you'd have to be very, very impressed by the manner in which the Quakes had to defend for long periods of time.

Conway answered all of his challenges with flying colours, and Waibel-- another whipping boy on these boards-- appeared to play a strong match as well.

I thinl we may have to owe Conway a bit of an apology, for the way that we collectively doubted him and his abilities in the run-up to this match. :)

3. jose8lo

jose8lo BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 9, 2002
    washington
    no question about it: Conway man of the match!he stopped everything Colorado threw at him.(with a little bit of luck also).

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should. And present him with the Fans-Eat-Crow Award. Woo-hoo JoCo!

5. Brad May

Brad May New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Appology?

I don't think we owe Conway an appology, his games up to now have been less than stellar. But we do owe him an "Attaboy!" for a SUPERB game tonight.

I was happy with a point on the road as many players as were out tonight. Colorado really does match up well with us, don't they? One of the few teams that has enough speed to play us even at our own game. Good showing by the boys, after getting outplayed the first half to pick it up have the better of the game for long stretches of the second.

Faria deserves a mention. He's not fully fit, and not in sync with the other players yet, but he looked very good out there. He could also hold the ball, something we have missed since Ching went down, and showed good creativity. He is going to give DeRosario a serious run for the second forward spot.

Good job by Mullin also, playing out of position.

I hope we are playing better than that when we (probably) face Colorado in the playoffs, but a lot of good things to take away from this match.

GO QUAKES!

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'd have to be first in line, among those who doubted Conway, in his place in the Quakes' starting eleven today.

And among the first in the queue to say that he played brilliantly, as well.

I like my crow BBQ'd medium well, thanks. :)

7. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you get back here and get the catering operation going again, you can put that at the top of the menu at any tailgate you work. "Two servings, please."

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just two? Somehow, I don't think me and one other person were alone in thinking so. ;)

I think there were a lot of Conway doubters tonight...

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And by the way, I do miss BBQ'ing for you guys at the tailgates (an operation independent from my then-partial employment at Caterman, by the way). :)

That was an endeavor that brought me a lot of joy. Will have to do that again, if and when I ever get back there.

11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those two were just for me. There are a lot of people out there who deserve many more servings than that.

12. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    Mullan missing from the midfield really hurt last night...

he was solid in the back for sure...made some "interesting" tackles and was able to get forward, but when he is not going forward, the Quakes attack falters....

Lagos killed a number of attacks as only he can...

props to Conway..seemed to enjoy himself out there for a change!

13. Tony Cheval

Tony Cheval New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Colorado
    Good show guys, now go spank the Gals. :D

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Appology?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp With an overall record of 15-15-2 against each other, I'm definitely not surprised! :D

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

15. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. Please beat the Fire.

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It seemed that Mullan's speed in the back is what snuffed out many of the Rapids' attacks (Waibel and Roner would have undoubtedly been burned several times if either had played right-back in this game). :eek:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp This could be considered either a good thing or a bad thing, considering that Mullan's speed and attacking prowess is needed in the midfield.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

17. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    As a Conway dissenter, I will grant that he had a good game, but reserve my judgement until I see this consistently from him. One good game does not make up for three years of crap.

He did look confident, which was nice to see. I think we were lucky to escape with a tie.

18. trueblu

trueblu New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    san jose
    Give Conway a little credit..
    The team, defensively , needs to be strong.. When he has had really BAD games it is because the defense sucks..
    I think they came together last night..

Bravo Conway!

19. I agree with Brad and Doug. Hats off to Conway tonight, but it doesn't erase his mediocre showing in his previous games. I hope tonight is the start of what we can expect from him, but so far it is positive outings one, negative outings two. But a step in the right direction nonetheless.

Liked Faria a lot, nice turn to get his shot in. But you could tell from the start of the game we just weren't on form. And sweet touch by Landon to get the back heel in, I've got to think that anyone who has played up front with him over a couple of games would have been looking for it and would have buried it. Give Faria a full season next year and watch out, Landon's gonna be setting the table for him all season.

Would have been nice to see Ramiro's shot go in in overtime, but Garlick did well to deny him. Even a blind pig...

20. Kind of an usual observation to make during a soccer game, especially while the family is gathered around the tv, but last night we noticed the rather unfortunate profile of John Spencer's head. Forevermore he shall be know as Penishead.

21. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bearing that in mind, I wouldn't hesitate keeping him there, whenever the situations permit.

There's more than enough depth in the midfield in order to allow for that to happen.

Another inspired strategical stroke of genius from Frank Yallop. :)

22. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    I think the Quakes made a conscious effort not to put men forward. The were going to sit back and force the Rapids to beat them. It worked pretty well because the only dangerous chances the Rapids had were on Quake giveaways.

I think we'll see a different style on Nov. 16th though. I'm confident the Quakes will come out aggressively, regardless of their past disasters.

23. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what Mullan said afterwards, on the subject of his performance at right back...

http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=10102003_SJCOL&version=quotes

"In the first half, I just worked as hard as I could, because I was not comfortable out there. In the second half, I felt much better and I communicated more with the right midfielder. I think I figured out the position much better in the second half. I am not sure if I want to play out there again though."

24. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he's shown us (and himself) that he CAN do it. I think that if he continues that intensity and concentration, he will make up for past blunders.

25. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always knew he could do it. Wasn't I the one who was telling you all in the off season to give him a chance? That I knew he was capable of doing well? Yes I was.

But that still didn't make me feel any better before this game. I'm really glad that he lived up to my pre-season expectations. And that he made me eat my words (we're screwed!). Honestly though, he still made me nervous out there. Like has been said, he's gotta play that way consistently before he stops making me nervous.

However, do you really think he's going to be given THAT many opportunities to "make up for past blunders." Pat's still here.