Colombia's position throughout WCQ

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Alonso#13, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Alonso#13

Alonso#13 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    New York City
    Fourth place is not a bad place to be after three games considering that we played Brazil and La Paz in our first two matches. Would like to see more goals scored for Colombia though because we all know how important goal differential can be.

Argentina 9pts. +7
    Paraguay 7pts. +5
    Brazil 5pts. +5
    Colombia 5pts +1
    Uruguay 4pts. +4
    Chile 4pts. 0
    Venezuela 3pts. -2
    Peru 2pts. -2
    Bolivia 1pt. -8
    Ecuador 0pt. -10

2. MrPaisa

MrPaisa New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Madison, NY
    lol

3. Alonso#13

Alonso#13 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    New York City
    you are an evil guy! even though i would like for Ecuador to have a successful campaign at least we no longer have to hear their sh!t about how their football is better than ours. However im sure they are going to be ungrateful and blame it solely on LFS.

4. MrPaisa

MrPaisa New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Madison, NY
    we'll see them do that even after they finish with 0 points after 12 games.

5. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That is freaking fantastic considering we've had the toughest schedule so far!

The fight is gonna be between Uruguay, Chile and us - and its only gonna get tougher because Chile's got a team of kids that are very gifted, once Bielsa gets a hang of them, they will be hella dangerous.

6. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    basically

Paraguay has beaten a weakened Ecuador, had a lucky game against Uruguay and a tough game against peru(who tied BRASIL TOO)

still very open I think that its just like we all think

Brasil/Arg better than everyone tho brasil away from home isnt really impressing me

Colo/Paraguay/Uruguay/Chile 3-5 too bad there only 2.5 places

Ven/Peru getting better and can suprise

Ecuador/Boliva have no chance and should start thinkin about 2014, hopefully boliva will steal alot of points from our direct opponents

7. Alonso#13

Alonso#13 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    New York City
    So far it seems as things are going our way, even though we have only scored one goal the teams we are competing with for positions 3-5 have been tying their games. Hopefully Colombia can turn El Campin into a fortress and not give up any points to Peru,Chile,Uruguay,Paraguay.

8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I started thinking about this last night. There is a measurement from the old days, called the English Median or something like that. Supposedly a team should won all home games and tie abroad, in order to be in contention. But that was when a win was worth 2 points, not 3. However, I think that we can elaborate on the concept based on the following assumptions:

We will have 3 Categories of teams (Based on results so far):

Cat. 1: Argentina & Brazil
    Cat. 2: Paraguay, Uruguay, Chile, Colombia
    Cat. 3: Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia

Then my assumption is that a Cat 1. team should beat any team at home, tie Cat 1 and Cat 2 when visiting and beat Cat 3 at their place. Cat 2 probably will tie Cat 1s at home, lose with them when visiting, beat other cat 2 at home, tie them when visiting and beat cat 3 away and at home. Cat 3 really only can hope to beat Cat 3 at home, tie the cat 2s at home and take a point from their visits to other Cat 3s. To make my point, that is the measure of points that you expect them to win, not reality.

According to this:

Brazil and Argentina are expected make= 27+4+12=43 points.
    Cat 2 teams are expected to make 2+21+7=30 points.
    Cat 3 teams are expected to make 9+4+3=16 points.

I am not predicting again, that is the bar they'll be measured against. Reality-Expected= "Qualifiers Median" or QM. The scores do not add up BTW.

Now we have the table of results:

Argentina 9 pts: Beat Cat 2 at home, Beat Cat 3 away, Beat Cat 3 at home: Expected 9pts: QM=0
    Paraguay 7 pts: Tied Cat 3 away, Beat cat 2 at home, beat cat 3 at home: QM=0
    Brasil 5 pts: Tied cat 2 away, beat cat 3 at home, tied cat 3 away: QM=-2
    Colombia: Tied cat 1 at home, tied cat 3 abroad, beat cat 3 at home: QM=0
    Uruguay: 4pts: Beat cat 3 at home, lost against cat 2 away, tied cat 2 at home: QM=-3
    Chile 4pts: Lost against cat 1, beat cat 3 at home, tied cat 2 away: QM=0

So far Argentina, Paraguay, Chile and Colombia are doing what is expected from them. Uruguay and Brasil are behind of what they're supposed to have today.

--------------------------
    While I am giving the info, this part of the table should not be relevant to the final results:

Venezuela 3 pts: Beat Cat 3 away, lost to cat 1 at home, lost to cat 2 away: QM=+2.
    Peru 2pts: tied cat 2 at home, lost to cat 2 away, tied cat 1 at home: QM=+1
    Bolivia: lost against cat 2 away, tied cat 2 at home, lost cat away: QM=0
    Ecuador: lost against cat 3 at home, against cat 1 away, against cat 2 away: QM=-3.

9. MrPaisa

MrPaisa New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Madison, NY

wow, boy do you have free time on your hands :)

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well, some free time a quick mind and fast hands.... :p

11. CtrlAlltDel

CtrlAlltDel New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    you are presuming that the progress can be expected to be monotonic with incremental gradients or subgradiants. But I do not think that method of analysis is apt due to the fact that chance plays such an integral part of the final positions of each team in the WC qualifying table.
    after you have a greater amount of matches played (%50 of them perhaps?), with more statistics to reference, you could possibly make more accurate predictions. it is so early in the qualifiers that you could even look at the team comparisons and their future results/rankings surjectively, especially with the way Paraguay is playing.

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Of course it is very simplistic, because basically is base on what I assume each team is expected to do. But basically it is very true for the middle of the pack teams: 30 points seem to be a likely target. I am not expecting this measure to predict who will qualify, only to tell who is doing what is expected from them.

13. jinks

jinks New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    London, England
    Nice thinking. Looks a good emphasis for results.

I have to admit that nearly enough every team has upped their stakes so having a 27 point threshold to auto qualify isnt unrealistic now. Taking points from the 2 big boys wasnt seen much in previous qualifiers.

But damn nice analysis but I hate us being placed in a Cat. 2. :D were should be seeing ourselves as Cat +1

14. yj777

yj777 Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Bogota, Colombia
    Club:
    --other--
    Your analysis is every similar to the one i did previously.. one of the differences being that i place Paraguay in the upper tier.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13258083&postcount=44

The scores and standings are (mostly) not accidental.
    The chances of Ecuador and Bolivia turning their ship around and qualifying
    to the WC are slim to none.
    The main zone of equilibrium will be Chile / Uruguay / Colombia and i expect two of those teams to make it to the WC along with Argentina, Brasil and Paraguay.

15. MrPaisa

MrPaisa New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Madison, NY
    Paraguay will lose to both Argentina and Brazil. You can subtract minimum of 3 points lost by them or maximum of 6 they won't be able to collect.

Brazil we already tied, we won 1 point. We will prob. not gain the 3 or the 1 at Maracana.

Argentina, if we win, we will have 3, if we tie tommorow we will have 1. Expect no more than 1-3 points from Argentina. Don't be surprised if we have 0 points from these guys.

Let's see what happens when Paraguay plays Brazil, Argentina and La Paz. I would like to see where they are ranked after that. Also after they play Chile, Colombia...

Then again, Peru tied with Brazil, and not sure if Brazil will let the 3 points against Paraguay slip away, Dunga might seek blood after Wed's game. Paraguay will face the wrath of a desperate Brazilian side and a hotstreak Argentina. Bolivia might play an ultra defense or heavy offense in the second half to reclaim at least some home field advantage.

I really think Paraguay is being overestimated by alot of people.

16. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    paraguay vuelve a la altura de quito a perder
    ecuas tienen que jugar este partido como el ultimo chance
    Y de ganar los ecuas, se empareja esto mucho - por todos lados
    igualan a venezuela y salen del fondo
    Yo no veo como Venezuela pueda con 3 pts esta semana, ese equipo es muy pobre futbolisticamente hablando. Hay que rezar por el empate de Chile en santiago para mantener distancias.

17. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Simple but logical. I think it would work if each team had some sort of weighting implied on their consistency in previous campaigns (this would dictate the std. deviation), and then you could run simulations but they'd only tell you what team's SHOULD do or really aim for realistically.

But then anything can happen on the pitch and there is a reason we play the game. I hope tmrw is one of those that break the norm for Colombia!

18. colombo

colombo Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Cookie again!!

19. colombo

colombo Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Not very acqurate, compared with 2006 actual results:

Argentina 34
    Brasil 34
    Paraguay 28
    Ecuador 28
    Uruguay 25
    Colombia 24
    Chile 22
    Venezuela 18
    Perú 18
    Bolivia 14

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Pero para la eliminatoria a Korea/Japon, Argentina basicamente hizo esa cantidad de puntos (43) y aunque Brasil decepciono (-14 de mi QM), Ecuador y Paraguay estuvieron exactamente en lo que yo propongo.

1.Argentina 43
    2.Ecuador 31
    3.Brazil 30
    4.Paraguay 30
    5.Uruguay 27
    6.Colombia 27
    7.Bolivia 18
    8.Peru 16
    9.Venezuela 16
    10.Chile 12

Aun asi, en ningun momento dije que mi medida se basara en eliminatorias anteriores. Es una medida subjetiva creada con base en lo que se ha visto hasta ahora y tal vez hay algo de historia.

El concepto es el siguiente:

Medir lo que cada equipo ha hecho comparado con lo que se espera de el.

En numeros, Ptos ganados vs. Ptos que se espera que ganen.

En el post inicial explico como llegue a la medida: De Brasil y Argentina se espera que ganen todo a excepcion de sus visitas al otro rival y a los del segundo escalafon: Basicamente 13 partidos ganados y 5 empates, que suman 44 no 43 puntos como dije. Obviamente no se va a dar, pero es lo que se espera de ellos.

De los de media tabla, tal vez este numero se acerca mas a la realidad: 30 puntos, que ademas son la garantia de ir al mundial.

21. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    hace 4 años despues de los mismos 4 rivales teniamos UN punto

hoy en dia son 8

22. CtrlAlltDel

CtrlAlltDel New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    estos 6 puntos que ganamos son de ORO!

23. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    its 8/12 points :) !!! 2 wins, 2 ties :) 66% of the points :) not bad

and we show'd that LA CAPITAL SE RESPETA !!!!

Pinto I wanted u fired after that team u put on the field was a joke, I wanted to call 411 Honduras Ray Reuda !!! and didnt make any changes but so happy right now !!!

Now the next 2 games are away games last time we beat Peru and lost to Ecuador, I think we should at least get 4 points here (tho we are better than both teams, it might be difficult being away from home and 12/18 points with 12 games and 60 points left to fight to get at least 15 isnt a bad deal

24. CtrlAlltDel

CtrlAlltDel New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    I was talking about the wins vs. VENZ & ARG. And we can handle Peru any where just fine, I know we have in the past. But This Colombian team is so unpredictable that you dont know what to expect.

If we get a point out of Peru in Peru we will be in very good form. If we beat them, Peru is staying home for the next WC once again.

25. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    we need experienced leaders GRISALES IS IT !!! This guy i was hating on cause thought he is too old and said he was going to retired like 2 years ago but PLEASE DONT !!!

when he comes in it feels like we got 3 more players on the field...

Tessor stay in Mexico !!!!!!!! He def isnt what we are looking for

Padrino ... think ur Right and need to give Mao his shot, or Pino

cause Bustos is a free kick god ~!!!