Colombian National Team General Thread

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by sidspaceman, May 18, 2015.

1. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Es verdaderamente una vergüenza toda esa defensa menos Davinson, Arias y Borja. Si así van hacer las cosas, preocupa, las posiciones no se pueden regalar por pasadas actuaciones o por qué Mina sea 6’5”, ahí que vivir en el presente.

pepinointer repped this.
  2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Mina was our WC goal scorer. He is coming off an injury. And is like a nuclear weapon. You don’t bench your Superman. He is our big game player like James. If Mina wasn’t at the WC we wouldn’t have made it out of group stage. No Falcao and we would have scored only 2 on Poland :)

My issue is the size of the roster 23!!! Is the fed still trying to save money. Or the 23 Mina is injured. Or just recovering like Uribe.

Who is replacement for Uribe? On this roster? Cuellar?

Or a sub for Quintero/James unless he plays part of the game without a #10 and try’s wingers.

Also annoyed we dropped interesting young options like Benedetti, Campuzano, Lucumi(just returned from injury)

If you say based on form... then wtf are the Nacional players doing here. Wtf is Fuentes, Cantillo, Bernardo and Cardona on this list. Those 4 not getting called isn’t really excuseable.

Then why no Borre and Borja up top. I get Cucho he is u20 and hasn’t scored in his club in forever.

Azucarero repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Queiroz mentioned that he wants to build upon what Pekerman built and do little changes here and there as variants.

I think that is the correct way about going at it if he wants to be successful in the Copa.

After the Copa we will probably see the Bernardos and Borres get a chance.
    But for now it is just better to focus on the guys who have played together in the last Cycle and some players from the recent friendlies.

4. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That was last year bro! We’re in 2019. Listen I love me some Mina, he’s big time but he doesn’t play! So he gets a reserved spot for life because he’s a weapon on set pieces? You have to earn to be on the team, or else we’re just gonna have players with no hunger and don’t care for playing time because they have a spot on the roster regardless of form a la ospina for the past 4 years. I don’t believe in that when there are more deserving players to be looked at.

jay luis repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3630 HomietheClown, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    It is not an easy decision within this situation.

Mina has already proven that his club minutes do not mean much when he barely played for Barca and still was one of our best in the World Cup.

But his lack of minutes and playing rhythm could be a detriment as you portray plus the appearance of being entitled a spot for not much merit is another concern I understand.

Queiroz obviously looked at the pros and cons and as the media has mentioned also had a discussion with Scolari about Mina.

Ultimately he saw that the advantages out weighed the disadvantages and called him up to the squad. Especially with very few opportunities with all the players to reveal his tactics he had to make the tough call.
    That said, there is no guarantee he will start so that is something he has to fight for and prove in training and in the friendlies. Let's see if he can do it again.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  6. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Good question. I posted a similar comment that got little response about midfield combinations. Looks like GC is the only one in the mix who who has B2B attributes that Uribe possesses.

I just don’t think there is enough games available to test out guys like Cantillo, Campuzano, etc in addition to Uribe when players like Lerma and even Barrios to an extent are still making a home in the CM at the NT level.

What are your potential combinations you think we will see in CM or who do you want to see play together?

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3632 HomietheClown, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    If I remember correctly Cuellar started with Barrios against Argentina so he is obviously the main candidate to replace Uribe.

And in other tactical formations I would not be shocked to see 2 DFMids or the 3 DFMids formation that we all hated against England.

Furnaccio repped this.
  8. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    shoiuld be cantillo........but logic wasnt called up this week....even the uribe called up is problematic, he is recovering from an injury....

It remembered me like bolillo called ups...when he arrived in 2010....like 0 scouting.

4 years ago for these matches were called up and used a lot of new players: franco, murillo, darwin andrade, bocanegra, barrios, cardona, cuellar etc........

i understan that isnt the best idea to prove players in middle of wcq....but if isnt prove now so never.......

crzdcolombian and kromekote repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I would have liked to have seen Cantillo too.

He explained that he saw Uribe play a great 90 minutes for America and that convinced him for the call up.

4 years ago I can understand Pekerman experimenting because he already knew the players and had a working relationship with them.
    This is totally different.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I said in an earlier post in the Libertadores matches I have watched they did not look bad at all. He probably watched the same matches.
    Also during the press conference he clearly stated that he liked what he saw when they played Millos at el Campin when he was in the stadium.

11. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    For folks stating CQ is rigorous on building from the back and up, take a moment to reflect that dating back to the beginning of the 2000s, Colombia has always been one of the most solid, least scored defenses in Conmebol. So he's not rebuilding something that's been broken or needs a ton of tweaking.

Is a 75% Mina better than a 100% Bernardo? Not in a game with points that matter. However in this call up of friendlies, one thing Mina does seem to offer is a positive spirit and fun in that locker room and that's something every team needs, specially this Colombia. But as much as I like our defenders to score at will and have MOTM performances, I'd prefer our offense step up and be a constant threat in attack. We need to put the ball in the back of the net and I surely hope Mina wasn't selected based on his WC last minute heroics.

In no way do I see these as the final locked in 23 for CA.

pepinointer and Furnaccio repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Good points.

At the end of your post though I will address-
    I think we all can agree that we want the offensive players to step up.
    But as Queiroz has said all he cares about is winning and it does not matter how we win.
    If it means Mina is scoring a majority of our goals will lifting up the Cup feel any different? Certainly not. It will be a great feeling even if we have Ospina score on desperation last second corner goals. :p

And no one is really saying this is the final 23 from what I have seen in this thread.

13. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The 23 bothers me because that is always the excuse. We can only take 23 to cups so that’s why we didn’t try more people

Or can’t play him at a WCQ, WC, Copa America with so much on the line. Then when do you try players!!!!!

23 is too small this roster should have been 30 players at least and dumped the two Nacional players and Murillo.

Also with all this Pekerman didn’t work at all that Pinto and Velez keep talking about. He called Pekermans team. Plus for all the scouting he didn’t bring anyone new!!!

As much as I dislike the Nacional guys. Murillo hasn’t been good since he left Spain for Inter 4 years ago!!! Has no one scouted him in 4 years!!! Before people go looking for old post about him. Yes !! I thought him and Franco were our new Ivan Córdoba and Yepes... sue me!

14. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    How Helibelton keeps getting called up is beyond me.

crzdcolombian, pepinointer and jay luis repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He has been a part of the process for years now and was called up by Reyes last time around who probably liked what he saw in practice and against Argentina.

It is a sad state of affairs that he is our best option after Arias but it is what it is.
    Just have to hope that Arias stays healthy and does not get too many cards.

16. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Pekerman borught and debuted for national team since 2014 to 2018:

Barrios, Lerma, Mojica, Izquierdo, Borja, Mina, Davinson, Matehus Uribe, Fabra, O Murillo, (i only mentioned this guys because arrived to the final)................

so ignoring that he called sebas perez, edwin cardona,

But you should be very clumsy and maliocus to say that "he didnt bring anyone new" when he debnuted and use as main actors like 10 new players....

Is time that you stop repeating you bullshit based on nothing ....and see the facts,

For the record the first called up of Pekerman with the National team:

He changed all the defense...but no, according to mr genius he didnt bring someone new.................mina always was in the radar.

[​IMG]

Azucarero repped this.
  17. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No, he isnt our best option after arias........he is the result of lack of scouting.

He never have played good with the national team.

For example the best right back thi season is called daniel muñoz from rionegro aguilar of 22 years............we dont have record of a season of helibelton at that level that muñoz is having for example...........the same piedrahita is playing better than him.

crzdcolombian repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He is our best option according to the coaching staff and Fed and when pertaining to him being a part of the process.

Not saying that he is the best based on pure talent or potential.
    Those players in the league are either still too raw or have no international experience.

19. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yes coaching staff is the one that takes the decision and in venezuela are took by madiuro.........that doesnt mean they are right.

crzdcolombian repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Obviously Reyes and/or the Federation think he played well against Argentina in the last friendly he played in.

The players you mention have not been a part of the process..

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am not saying they are right. I am not saying they are wrong either.
    Just there's more factors to consider than how a player is playing for Rio Negro or Junior when trying to make decisions for a cohesive team and preparations for a major tournament.
    And I respect their decision.

22. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    For me is clear that is wrong to called up helibelton....he isnt better than anyone.

At least machado had an important past

kromekote repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You are basing it on a guy who plays at Rio Negro and Junior looking better in your eyes.
    But there's more to consider obviously.

24. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not is only that, please dont ridiculize me in your hurry to justify all the stupid choices because "they are the one that decided".....all people that have wacthed him recently can realize that his level is not for a NT........in last friendlies he ratified as well.........agasint argentina u-23 he wasnt close to be good.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Obviously the most important people making the decision think he is good enough and have played well enough.

I also do not believe your premise about all people as a consensus who have watched him realize the same thing.
    I have read various articles online speculating that he and Machado would be called up based on form.