Colombia in Gold Cup?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by chibchab, Jan 2, 2003.

1. chibchab

chibchab Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night in a Colombian news show it was mentioned that Colombia would participate in this summers' Gold Cup. Is this news? Any info?

2. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    They've been involved before (2000), this wouldn't be a surprise as CONMEBOL usually sends at least one team to the Gold Cup.

3. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Nothing against Colombia, but they were just here and they will be participating in the Confederation Cup, which the US is in as well. I hope to see new teams in this Gold Cup. I hope Iran will be a guest, but I doubt it with the current political climate.

4. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Sorry to disappoint ya Kasi but I am pretty sure that Colombia is going to be one of the guest teams. The other guest team is probably going to be Peru.

5. chappler

chappler New Member

Dec 16, 2000
    cities for gold cup

Anybody heard what cities and venues will be used for the Gold Cup in July?

6. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I've heard Boston, D.C. and Miami.

7. SocrStopr13

SocrStopr13 Member

Apr 29, 2001
    How much do you think tickets will cost?

8. RalRhino

RalRhino New Member

Jan 28, 2001
    North Carolina
    This is my pet peeve with CONCACAF (well, my main one.) Why ask nations from outside of the region to play in the regional championship? Its not like there aren't enough teams to fill out a 12 team field. Yes, Columbia might be better than the CONCACAF teams not in the Cup, but what happens if they win the whole thing? Technically, they would be inline to represent CONCACAF in the next Confederations Cup.

CONCACAF will never be taken seriously until they stop inviting outsiders to play in the Gold Cup!

I would be very interested in hearing from someone who disagrees with this opinion.

In an unrelated story, UEFA announced that, based on their strong performance at the World Cup, Senegal has been invited to play in Euro 2004.

9. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Hard to get too excited over guests like Colombia and Peru. At least Colombia is a highly ranked country, but they just participated in the Gold Cup. I guess the prestige of having a South American side will help boost the tourney.

10. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Seems like Peru got the boot and Brazil will get the invite instead.

11. chibchab

chibchab Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know, I think it boosts the competitive level of the tournament. I mean if you replaced Colombia and Brazil, provided they do participate, with say Belize and St. Kitts, the level is just too low and interest may be affected.

12. RalRhino

RalRhino New Member

Jan 28, 2001
    North Carolina
    Provided that Brazil and Columbia send their "A" teams, which they won't. I would rather see Panama, El Salvador, Haiti, etc.

Again, how many other confederations invite outside nations to play in their regional championship?

13. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think CONMEBOL is the only other one.

14. CrazyMLSfan

CrazyMLSfan Red Card

Oct 31, 2002
    The Home Depot Center
    El tema de que X pais llevara el A team o B o C team, como que ya paso de moda. Yo creo que si la liga colombiana or brazilena trae jugadores de sus ligas y los mexicanos y estadounidenses tambien, pues la competencia es justa. Ahora, si Brazil viene con sus estrellas de Europa y USA solo con los de la MLS, entoces es injusto. Creo que el que gane es el mejor y ya. Esta es una competencia de entre ligas locales sin los jugadores que juegan en Europa.

15. chibchab

chibchab Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Panama,ES, and Haiti will probably be there anyway.

Even Brazil and Colombia's B team is better than the countries they're displacing.

16. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    Perhaps, but so would France & Italy's B teams - why don't we invite them while were at it? Regardless of the invited teams' quality, it does seem silly to have non-region teams in a tournament designed to crown the regional championship.

I'm not actually sure that we would see all three of Panama, ES & Haiti in the Gold Cup. If Brazil & Colombia were to be invited there would be just 10 teams at the most from Concacaf. Mexico, the US & Canada are in for sure, if we assume that Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala, Jamaica & T&T grab spots (two of those didn't qualify last time, so we shouldn't assume, but just for the sake of argument) that would leave only 2 spots left for the likes of Haiti, El Salvador, Panama, Cuba & 2002 Q-Finalist Martinique to fight over. By inviting guest teams we'll be assuring that a few teams that can reasonably compete in Concacaf will not be in the Gold Cup.

Yes, Comnebol invites teams from other regions into their tournament, but not at the expense of other Comnebol teams. Concacaf is unique in that regard.

17. vtravi

vtravi Member

Feb 13, 2000
    Brimfield, Mass
    I think they should combine concacaf and conmebol.
    Have Copa America for North and South America. This would make to tournament far more exciting.

18. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002

Easy, the fact that CONCACAF invites teams from South America is part of the deal for the Concacaf teams to play in Conmebol and Copa America. Playing in Copa America is a huge boost and it sure has helped us playing. But since Mexico now is permanent invitee, well if you want to screw Costa Rica or the US from getting invited so that some bad soccer nation like Cuba can play in the gold cup, then thats you.

Also since most of North America is also part of South America, its doesn't look as bad. Its not like when they invited South Korea or Japan to the Copa America.

19. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Exactley what part of North America is in South America?

20. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002

My bad. I meant to say Latin America instead of South America.

21. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

and since when did Warner and Blazer care about legitimacy anyway (for the record I do agree with you.)

22. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    O.k. that makes more sense.

23. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    isn't just like Copa America, if a team from outside the CONCACAF wins it, then the highest CONCACAF finisher goes?

24. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    UPDATE

as all the players return home from confe cup...

the team will use 4 or 5 from that grp, on july 5th they will Join a grp of 18 selected from 3 teams that represented colombia in recent copa Libertadores: america de cali (7)
    DEPORTIVO CALI (5) Deport Independiente Medellin (6)