Colo Pre/Post match discussion (R)

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by PZ, Aug 16, 2002.

1. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, no Fish or Kev. Should be interesting.

2. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we stick with a 3-4-3 (and if so, who is up top)? My guess: we go back to a 4-4-2 and hope for a counter-attack goal from Glinton or Cobi. When LA beat Colorado, their shrimpy Scot was sitting out a game for cards. He needs to be watched, having beaten us once at the RB already.

3. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We put cobi, mulland and glinton up top, have them rotate left to right, right to left, etc, run them ragged.

4. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only should we look out for Spencer, but Chung and Henderson as well. Our defense needs to play smart and contain them. It looks like we'll have to play the counterattacking game.

5. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Cybersoccernews says that Spencer is still nursing a knee injury, so he is questionable.

6. ProudNatRN

ProudNatRN Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jun 10, 2002
    Norwalk, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, what do you think if we FINALLY play Sasha up top alongside Jones and Glinton? I mean, from what I heard Sasha wasn't exactly comfortable playing midfield against the Crew. I'm sure he's happier playing up top, and happy players simply play better, like last year. I've said it a million times, forget Moreno, he's in the same boat as other players like Polic, Bardales, Ching, Quijano, etc., destined to ride the pine. Anyway, if we continue with the 4-4-3, the midfield and defense should shape up with Cien, Pete, Kiwi, and EZ at mid, plus Marshall, Lalas, and Califf in the back with Reis in goal. That lineup I believe is capable of scoring goals against Colorado, especially in dead ball situations. We need to utilize Sasha, EZ, Lalas, and Califf's ability in the air, considering our ground attack will be severely hindered with the absence of Fish up top. What do you guys think?

7. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injury Report has him listed as "Probable". Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

8. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Help !!!!

Someone please tell me that :

Alexi Lalas will play tomorrow

and that Tyronne Marshall will be in the starting 11

and that Danny Califf's shoes will be tied together so we will have at least half a chance.

Someone !!

Anyone !!

Tell me the Galaxy Players threw Danny outta plane on the way back.

i was hoping this would be reported on ESPN, but it wasnt. but there soccer coverage sux hard.

Sky sports didnt report it either... they just said Danny Califf was a bouncer at nudie bar in hollywood. which would be true but Califf cant read criss-cross offensive move or a lob in the box, so i assume he cant read a drivers license or tell a fake I.D. when he see's it.

When the Galaxy moves next year, i hope they dont tell him where there playing. maybe he'll move and play in madagascar next year.

9. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    I'll be down in L.A. tomorrow. I'm thinking of going to the game. Should I wear my Quakes kit? ;)

10. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, no Ruiz or Hartman, but I still believe we can (and MUST) win this game.

Why?????????

Because we're playing at the RB (7-1-2), Cobi's on a roll and, hopefully, we're pissed off about the Crew game & will take out our "rage" on the Crapids.

Guess I'm an ETERNAL optimist. Hey, it's better than being a pessimist.

I'll be watching on DirecTV's Shootout package & look forward to a GALAXY victory.

GALAXY 2
    Crapids 0

Reis gets a clean sheet & Cobi continues his roll with his 4th goal in three games. The other goal??? How about Alexi, on a header off a corner kick.

GO, GALAXY!!!!!!!!!!

11. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    man this sucks...... no more games for Dolemite! i'm up north at my folks house and am leaving for college (again) in a couple days, so i'll be missing the rest of the home games. i really was looking forward to the home and away games against the Josers. oh well, tis time to get my book learnin on.

any idea if we might see tennyson play today? hopefully we'll get back on track with a big win. Go Galaxy!

12. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Tennyson - until the A-League season is over (including playoffs.)

Where are you attending college, Dolemite?

13. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    oh yeah, forgot that he won't be able to play till later.

I'm going to Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pa. too bad the Gs don't have any more road games in DC or Columbus, otherwise i'd go and see them

14. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    Before the home and home series (the final two matches of the regular season) with San Jose in September, the Dudes (this is LA ;)) have three of their next five at home (Crapids, Gizzards, MetroTurds) and they are just a mere five points out of first. If the GaLAxy are in first by Sept. 14th, the Dudes will be in the driver's seat to win the top seed.

15. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    For tonight, I've got a feeling about United. DC has been just one or two steps away from putting it all together on the pitch. Hudson will have DC firing on all cylinders against the Flakes.

If DC pull it off, the Dudes must capitalize by taking full points against Colorado.

16. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    There is a result in this post! [R]

Well, I was almost right about Hudson's boys and their match against the Flakes. Result below:

Flakes 2 - 2 DC United

Not a bad result for the Dudes, as a win against Colorado closes the gap to only three points.

JUST WIN, DUDES!

17. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SOLID WIN, G-MEN!!!!!

Wasn't thrilled with our first half performance. What can I say....I'm a PERFECTIONIST!!!

Cien...with two goals??? Will wonders ever cease (unfortunately, I missed his second, as I was getting myself another drink.........I know I'm such a LUSH!!).

Wish the f**** Metros had done their job by beating Dallas, but I guess that's asking too much of such a LOUSY team!!

At least, D.C. got a point from the Quacks!!

Only two BAD points about tonight's game........NO goal for Cobi, which would've made it a PERFECT night (at least, he had two assists) & the attendence (WHERE ARE OUR FANS??? 12,000 for a Saturday night game??? That's PATHETIC!!!!

BTW, that goal credited to Lalas was an obvious own goal. Not to take away from Lalas (it was a NICE header), but replays showed that it went in off the Crapids GK's knee.

Anyway, a GREAT win for our GALAXY!!!

18. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    correct me if i'm wrong, but this is the first time we've scored 4 goals this season, and only the third time we've scored more than 2...

19. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to explain what bothered me about our first half performance. I thought our possession game was NON-EXISTENT!!!

However, in the second half I thought we did a MUCH BETTER job of ball-possession.

Also, I MUST add KUDOS to our D!!!!! GREAT job on shutting down "El Pibe" & Henderson & Chung!! Didn't see any of those three have ANY impact on the game!! We totally shut them down!!!

Now, I'm off to party with a video of Van Halen & some more liquor!!

Any Galaxy fans, who are VH fans???

There's only ONE way to rock!! And that's the Galaxy way!!!!!

20. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right on the money, dashiel!! We scored three goals against Dallas (at the RB) & at the Crapids.

First time, we've scored four goals in a game this year, hopefully won't be the last.

21. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all Wohooooo, The attendance woes i think wre i reason, I think people thought that without the Fish we could not score, quite a paradox huh. Second I am satisfied with the fact that we are not as dependent on ruiz, Now if we could play like that with him on the field, we might actually hav a chance at the cup, Double ....maybe?

22. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you, ssanchez. I'm also VERY HAPPY that we showed that we don't need "El Pescadito" to win an MLS match.

However, obviously I'd rather have him in the lineup.

Hopefully, we can build on this win (I know we're said this MANY, MANY times).

I'm STILL optimistic that we CAN & WILL win the Double (MLS Cup & US Open Cup)!!!

C'mon, Galaxy, let's show the world that we're the BEST!!!!!

23. Nakata10

Nakata10 New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Planet FIFA
    Went to the game tonight, it was my first MLS game because I never cared for MLS. I was a bit biased because I follow other leagues, but I went with a unbiased view and honestly had a great time. It was sort of like when I went to watch the Brazil/ USA match last year. That was an amazing game by Brazil and the US.(I still think Brazil was not going at full stride just on cruise control and they were amazing.) I think the first half went ok. Just enough to get by Colorado and I think either Colorado sucked or the Galaxy did a good job leaving no room on the field for them. Colorado players were mostly stationary and no one really seemed to try to create space or run into one. Alot of their ball movement tend to stay in one place and they really didn't try to move to the other side that quick. I think Cobi and Cien freely roaming the field throughout the game worked well against them because it opened up alot spaces, chances and goals for the Galaxy. In the first half, it looked like Maestroni was doing a good job covering Cien and he was not having that good of ball posession as well as being open. Cien was non-existent in the first half but in the second half Colorado tried to push up more and gave more room to him. Once they were forced to attack, it gave the Galaxy alot of spaces.

I think if the Galaxy can keep up this sort of game with combination of short passing with through passes, Cien and Cobi having a free role and a tight defense they will have a good run during the playoffs. I wish they would have a better pressing game but for tonight playing a combination of zone and man mark defense worked well against a poor Colorado offense. My highlight was Cien`s first goal. After missing the PK, he stepped up to make two goals and it was great.

When the playoff starts, I'll be back to the Rose Bowl.

I hope the Confederation Cup does come here. That would be amazing and I am sure to make the trip to whereever it is.

24. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Short guys heading in goals! First Jones, now Cien! What a performance by him. And was that Mullan with two assists? Dang, maybe we shouldn't start Ruiz just to see what kind of other miracles we can perform. Colorado looked lost and didn't come to play apparantly. Reis had an easy night.

Riot Squad looked great, despite the absentees. I couldn't hear you because there was no volume on our set; had to listen to other sports going on.

25. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playoffs are still a month off. Why not show up on Wednesday for the match vs KC, or the 30th vs. NY or even, Tuesday in Fullerton of the Open Cup Semi vs. Dallas?

Great performance by the G's. Simon, Cien and Peter pretty much dominated the midfield. Valdarrama looked like the old man his is.

Hell, it finished 4-0 and Cien even flubbed a penalty. Not sure if former G David Kramer enjoyed this return to the RB....but he's still better than Campos. :p

Guess we don't need Fish for all out scoring after all....but I wonder what the result would have been if we had him last night...ouch.

I'm not too worried about the attendance. I talked to a guy at halftime (wearing a Mexico jersey with L. Hernandez on the back....gave him a ton of sh!t about it :)) who said it was his first G game but really was enjoying it and said he plans on coming back and being a G fan (as long as they aren't playing AmeriCrap) Put a good product on the pitch and the attendance will fall into line.

Gotta love the Smurfs dropping a couple of points yesterday as well.

One downer, what was the deal with the lack of men's rooms on the east side of the stadium? They charge us $5 for piss water yet don't provide us with anywhere to get rid of it...nice job.