College looking for players who love the game

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Coach Downing, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Coach Downing

Coach Downing New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Bennington Vt
    Dear Forum Member,

I am the head Men’s and interim Women’s soccer coach at Southern Vermont College. I am working hard to develop two new programs for players who truly love the game.

As coach of the Men’s and Women’s soccer team, it is my objective to build a team of players who truly love the game and want to play competitively at the DIII level. If you are a player or know of any players that are graduating in 2006 – or are beginning to look at colleges for 2007 – please have them contact me so that I may send them a FREE application to our college and talk with them more.

Thank you for your time and help,

In Soccer,

Coach Todd Downing
    982 Mansion Dr.
    Bennington, VT 05201

www.svc.edu
    Ph: 802-447-4662
    Fax: 802-447-4652
    E-mail: tdowning@svc.edu

2. cent

cent New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Would u be interested in a 42 yr old man who is going thru mid life crisis??? :)

Good luck with your program!!

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, do we have to be in shape? And do we have to go to school there?

If not, I'm your guy!

Seriously, best of luck. In hindsight, I really wish I had gone to a DIII school and continued playing rather than trying, very unsuccessfully, to walk on at a D-I school.

I'm quite happy with my education, but would trade it for a good education from another school AND the change to have played college ball.

Something to think about for HS players who aren't sure-thing D-I players.

4. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Yo
    Hook me up!

5. Coach Downing

Coach Downing New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Bennington Vt
  6. laweez

laweez Member

Jun 29, 2001
    NC
    I sent this out to our 88 club team for what it's worth.

7. soccerzaball

soccerzaball New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Tulsa
    In my opinion, you may want to connect with club teams in affluent areas. Obviously, State Cups are fertile grounds as well. I also think Division I coaches would be helpful in recommending motivated players who are not at that level.

Good luck

8. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another group that you might want to consider contacting is the alumni organization of the school. Who better to sell the school then alums. Maybe they could send something out in their news letter or magazine.

9. Teletubby

Teletubby Member

Dec 10, 2004
    You may do well to get involved with VT ODP. Traditionally they don't have kids playing at top schools and you may be able to entice them to stay.
    Here is their web-site
    http://www.vermontsoccer.org/vsa/odp2.htm

Good luck!

10. Coach Downing

Coach Downing New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Bennington Vt
    Thank you for all the advice and help. As you can imagine I am trying everything to get the word out. I haven't seen to many other coaches using this board to help build two fledgling programs and it has found its way to some great possibilities.

I would love to work with the odp program as I have in the past as a player and a coach. But building what I am trying to build does not leave any outside time. I do hope to work with the odp in the future.

Thank you again for all your help,

Todd Downing

11. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Coach,

Don't forget to tell 'em about Bennington College! That's got to be a draw for young men. ;)

BRF

12. livestock

livestock New Member

Dec 27, 2004
    be here now
    I think the Ephs have the say of the land in them thar hills. The SV guys do OK with the SV girls. Tough to compete with the NESCAC's in that game, too.:D

13. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't "Josh" of the Metrostars live in Vermont?

14. Coach Downing

Coach Downing New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Bennington Vt
    Just wanted to bring this to the top for any player who maybe looking

Coach Downing

15. TundraEagle

TundraEagle New Member

Jul 7, 2005
    Coach Downing,
    It might be easier to spread the word if there was some idea of aid, especially for out of state. Not in specifics, but in general can you help a deserving player or no, only aid is academic or need. My son has committed elsewhere, but there is still a lot of communication amongst his team contacts, parent chats, etc... I know some on his team are still looking, but perhaps haven't gotten over that they may not be courted by a D1 school.

16. Coach Downing

Coach Downing New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Bennington Vt
    We are a DIII institution and are unable to give out athletic scholarships. We do how ever give out a lot of other scholarships and aid with our average incoming freshman receiving $13,500 in total. We are also the least expensive private college in VT with a total cost of $21,322. This makes us very competitive with many colleges a crossed the nation with a great chance to see time on the field your freshman year than just the bench. I believe DIII you play for the love of the game and the team, not for the college or scholarships and those are the players I am looking for.

Coach Downing

17. laweez

laweez Member

Jun 29, 2001
    NC
    Good luck with THAT.

18. hocho

hocho New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Braintree
    I commend the guy....doing the best he can with what's available.

19. laweez

laweez Member

Jun 29, 2001
    NC
    I actually wish him the best, but it's disingenuous to think no one he finds is going to want any aid.

20. EJDad

EJDad New Member

Aug 26, 2004
    On the contrary. The vast majority of kids playing in college do so for no money. Some have used their athletic ability to get into a school they might not have had a shot at, others pick a school and just play. Do the math- More DII and DIII programs than DI and even the DI's are not head counts. Each DI program has MOST of its players paying to go to school.

So why shouldn't the guy go for it? I'd rather my kid play for a go-getter like this than some guy waiting for people to knock on his door.

Good luck!

21. masoccerscout

masoccerscout Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Springfield, MA.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. I wish more college coaches would actively look for good players instead of going the foreign players route. In the stronger soccer areas like NJ, Eastern NY, Eastern Pa., Maryland, North and South California, Texas, etc. etc. I see a lot of good players that go to Division 2 and 3 schools for a variety of reasons and the Division 2 and 3 coaches that go after them actively do well, even if the school is not located in one of these areas.

22. Coach Downing

Coach Downing New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Bennington Vt
    I look all over the country for players who love the game and there is at lest one in every town. He or she may not be the future Mia or Freddy but if they have the passion for the game and we are a great college fit for them, I want them on our team.

Don't let college divisions, club levels, or high school size be the determining factor of good soccer, let it be the passion, comradely, and sportsmanship out on the pitch.

Thank you again for all your help and interest in this thread.

Coach Downing

P.S.
    All of my players are receiving some form of aid and I hope every player I bring in receives aid as well. I work for my players and the future growth of this team, not for the college or my future career; they will take care of themselves.

23. Coach Downing

Coach Downing New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Bennington Vt
  24. Coach Downing

Coach Downing New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Bennington Vt
    I am still looking for a couple of players for both thhe men's and women's programs if there are any players out there still looking.

Coach Downing