College Football 2007

Discussion in 'Football' started by Footer Phooter, Sep 1, 2007.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    five questions.

1) Nebraska: Callahan - Keep or dismiss?

2) 1st BCS coach fired this season will be...?

3) SEC east champion will be...?

4) BXII South champion will be...?

5) Best head coaching candidate willing to take the job at GT? :eek:

2. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
  3. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1) I think he'll keep his job until the end of the season, at least. Obviously, it depends on the results for the remainder of the season. I think the results will be mediocre to poor and he will not be the Head 'Husker next season.

2) I really have no idea. How about Tommy Bowden at Clemson. Clemson has not been too bad under Bowden, but I don't think they have met the expectations of the Clemson fans, be they realistic or not.

3) South Carolina will win the SEC-E. Please, any team but UF. I'm not sure my heart is ready for an LSU-UF rematch. Not that LSU has sealed it's fate as the SEC-W champ, by any stretch of the imagination.

4) By process of elimination, Oklahoma will be B12-S champ.

5) As long as it's not Bo Pelini, Gary Crowton, or Les Miles, I'll don't really care :D. I hear that Callahan may be available. ;)

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Undecided myself, as this was asked to learn how others are reading the situation. I think he's reached that point of "not being able to take them any higher, ere go will Nebraska require a change by virtue of not accepting the new norm?"
    I'd have put this one in but did not want to be too ACC centered. I'm convinced he's reached the same point as Callahan and if they continue to struggle this year he might be politely excused. If not a trip to Jacksonville this year was supposed to be an improvement over last year. Still some dangerous games ahead for them so he's on the line, but as with Tech the question becomes "Is there a better alternative who'll take the job?"

As a program Tech's a step down from LSU so no fear of Miles leaving for the Jackets. However, Tech's new AD, Dan Radakovich, is from LSU and might know if any of the assistants is the right man for the job. Current coach Gailey is in the same trap I've outlined above, and this past weekend proved he's more capable of coaching a team down than up. I can accept not being in the same tier as Texas, UF, etc, but I can't handle a coach failing to improve his team. I'm wondering if Bobby Johnson(?) out of Vandy could do well with a more competitive program, but don't know much about assistants from other teams.

5. Boundzy

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only place Miles would go is Michigan. LSU's OC, Gary Crowton, has HC experience at La Tech and BYU. If Miles stays at LSU, rather than going to Michigan, I think Crowton will eventually leave for another HC job. However, I doubt that he'll leave after this year, so he may not work if GT need a HC at the end of this year.

LSU's DC, Bo Pelini, gets a lot of press related to open HC jobs. I keep hearing that he does not have a desire to be a HC. Reportedly, he dislikes the PR part of the coaching gig - though, I'm not sure that's true. He has done very well with LSU's defense. He moved from DC to interim HC at Nebraska in 2003 after Solich was canned, but Callahan fired him. NU would be better today if they had kept Pelini and passed on Callahan.

As for Bobby Johnson, he's been at Vandy for a while (5 or 6 years?) and although they have the occasional upset victory - I think they beat UGA last year - I'm not sure he is the first person to whom I would turn to lift a program.

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I tend to agree with this line of thinking. Callahan's style isn't comprehensive football, so either he needs a new DC or Nebraska needs a new HC.

True, but look where he's doing it. Simply making that team competitive and winning the occasional big game is pretty impressive considering the regular competition and the nature of the school he's recruiting for. I've no doubt that he, Jim Grobe (Wake) or Paul Johnson (Navy) could do well at a school with better resources, more support and better chances to win. The question is "how much better?" :eek:

7. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd just like to say, the last minute of the USC/Stanford game gave me an orgasm ;)

8. Boundzy

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You shared that orgasm with 92,000 others at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge!

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Eww.

[​IMG]

I don't know what the big deal was. LSU was already ranked #2, likely #1 in the BCS and controls their own destiny with regard to the BCS title game. After all, #2 is just as good as #1 for qualification. And it's not like OSU or South Florida was going to pass them. But I know full well how much the SEC ego must be stroked, as it were, so have at it. Will only make their fall from grace all the sweeter. ;)

10. Boundzy

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I'm glad that LSU is in a position from which they CAN fall! Beats the alternative.

You are correct - #2 is the same as #1. At #2, if LSU wins out, they would make the NC game regardless of other outcomes.

The reaction from the crowd was to-be-expected. What was disappointing to me was the reaction of the LSU players. I did not like seeing the players celebrating the USC loss while LSU was losing 14-17 (soon to be 14-24) to a very good UF team.

LSU has several tough games remaining, including a trip to the Commonwealth this week, and Auburn and Alabama later in the year. Not to mention the SEC Championship game, if LSU wins the SEC-W. You don't git nuthin' fer being #1 rite now.

Long way to go, cart before the horse, counting chickens before they hatch, one-game-at-a-time, and all that.

11. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notre Dame week.

12. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    please win

for the acc

so the next game against us will be #10 vs. #3 (hopefully) and another top ten matchup in our season

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    +1.

14. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Jagz is trying his best to make it happen.

15. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Folks,

What the f*** is up with Wannstedt and Pitt?

Seriouxly? :eek:

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you were expecting something different from Wanny, then I beleive the question is "What's up with you?!" ;) by now you know my stance, so believe me when I say I'd keep Chan Gailey over Wannstedt any day! :eek:

17. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had a choice between Tom O'Brien or Wannstache...

I'd definitely live through another season of TOB...and that says a lot. I'd even consider going through another season of Dan Henning.

18. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ah yes, Dan Henning. Another in the long line of barely-competent Atlanta Falcons coaches. What's he up to these days?

My current list of coaches poised for the axe:

Chan Gailey
    Greg Robinson
    Dave Wannstedt
    Tommy Bowden
    Dennis Franchione
    Mike Stoops
    Ed Orgeron

First name that comes to mind as a "commodity" willing and able to step up would be Mike Price (UTEP) or George O'Leary (UCF), though I'm uncertain if there will be takers or if those two are willing to leave seats that are modest but comfy.

19. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was OC for the Panthers at one point, but isn't there anymore. Not sure what he is doing. As long as it ain't on BC's campus.

20. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    tommy bowden will never get fired, all the clemson fans down there love him, there was a "keep tommy" chant coming up from the vt away section at the game last week

seriously though, i think he stays a few more seasons, a bigger bowl though, will ensure his tenure, not another music city, or car care bowl, and hopefully never, a humanitarian bowl, he needs a peach bowl, or another trip to orlando for the champs sports bowl, and hopefully one day a bcs bid, too bad, the acc is tough as nails, to even go undeafeated in to get a shot at the national championship

21. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To get the Peach Bowl berth, Klimpsen must be at the very least, 2nd in the ACC-Atlantic. To get the Champs Sports berth, they have to 4th in the ACC overall.

It's possible, but Wake and Maryland (at the moment) are doing quite well for themselves. Didn't expect FSU to sh*t the bed in the 2nd half last night.

22. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    i saw it coming, fsu has been inconsistent and they played too close of a game against an awful nc state side the week before

props to hawaii, too bad their schedule won't help them in securing a bcs bid, although for the naysayers, boise state had to play sjsu in ot last year as well, although voters blow when it comes to consistency

23. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    The replay reversal at the end of the Ole Miss-Alabama game was wrong. The ruling was that when the receiver went out of bounds, he couldn't be the first to "catch" the ball. If you read rule interpretation 7-3-5, however, once the defender is the first to touch the ball, any player who went out of bounds is eligible to catch it. The Alabama defender was the first to touch the ball, so the Ole Miss player was eligible to take it away from him and the catch should have stood.

24. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PERFECT week in college football for me...

Pitt Lost

ND Lost

PSU Won

#1 LSU gets upset

sooo freaking happy :)

25. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok... NOW it's perfect

#2 Cal loses :D

looks like Ohio State is our new #1, just in time to be upset in Happy Valley in 2 weeks (I can dream.. right?)