College Coaching Openings

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by soccersoccersoccer, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    There's always a chance, especially if the team does well this year.

For non-revenue sports, ADs like the path of least resistance and hiring the assistant or interim coach usually falls into that category.

2. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Good post. Very interesting in looking at some established guys making a change. Also find it funny, that only in Men's Soccer does someone not possibly leave an Akron or an Ivy for an ACC job.

3. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Simmons of Northern Illinois University has accepted the job at Oregon State University. I'm sure Associate head coach Eric Luzzi wants the job, but that NIU will begin " national search" immediately to find a replacement for Simmons. I always thought that he might want the OSU job having come from there, but am still a little surprised sinced Simmons just signed a new three year contract at NIU. It appears that NIU is going to have to do some scrambling to find their new coach, as the season is just around the corner.
    I hope that Eric Luzzi is given some strong consideration for the job, he has done a good job the last few years. I can't help but wonder how this will effect the new recruits. On the surface it appears that NIU will again be a very solid side this coming season.

4. Boss DJ

Boss DJ Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Very good hire for Oregon State - congrats to Steve, a really good guy.

I agree that Luzzi will probably get the call at NIU, and probably should given the timing.

5. Boss DJ

Boss DJ Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Just looked for a link to Simmon's to OSU move - is it confirmed?

6. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confirmed, I was told there will be a press conference in a couple of days.

7. soccermama3

soccermama3 New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Here's a link to the local newspaper announcement: NIU Soccer Coach Leaves for Oregon St.

Steve and Kylie will be missed at NIU. I agree that Eric Luzzi is the best candidate for the job.

8. mountie

mountie New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    The program at NIU has been so driven by Simmons it will need a similar personality to continue to climb the ladder. Luzzi is the best candidate at this time but hopefully for his sake he wouldn't be maning the rudder with no one at the oars. He can continue the way Simmons started however he will need assistance.

9. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Congrats to Steve Simmons. Class act who did a great job in getting his team to play the way it was necessary to succeed.

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    My emphasis. Did this question ever get answered?

11. jojoboom

jojoboom New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington
    I don't recall any answer to that question. It's common knowledge that Oregon State is in financial trouble. Obviously the program is carrying on so who knows what Hararea was really saying when he made that comment.

12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Yes, back in post #373 ... less of a concern now that they've hired an established coach.

13. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Eric Luzzi, new head coach at Northern Illinois University. He's a good man and will do well. It will be intersting to see who Eric brings in as his new assistants, the 2009-10 season is just around the corner.

14. markb57

markb57 Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Indiana
    Joe - Amen, brother...Has the Pack has ever had an AD that did anything but hate on soccer? Or is this just another case, like so many in life, explained by simple ignorance?

15. Futbol0020

Futbol0020 New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Chicago
    Any reason both James Madison AC positions are posted on NCAA website?

16. maestro13

maestro13 New Member

Dec 2, 2008
    ON a seperate note...I was looking around on web last night and noticed that Bryan Scales is now an assistant with the U15 national team.................win one game, get fired then get a national team job...what a country!!!!

17. lionsnake

lionsnake New Member

Jun 29, 2009
  18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Welcome to June 11.

19. GauchoSoccerManiac

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, that was deja vu all over again for me.

20. justanopinion

justanopinion New Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Matthew Okoh - Named Asst. Coach at Air Force