College Coaching Openings

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by soccersoccersoccer, Oct 6, 2008.

1. JBohland

JBohland New Member

Feb 6, 1999
    Nobody I talk to seems to know or was willing to talk about, including some current players. Again, most of this talk about NCAA investigation is speculation at the moment, as nobody saw this coming in Blacksburg. I do know two international recruits on full rides were declared ineligible last year, something that did not go over well with the administration. Oliver was also not terribly well liked by other coaches in the ACC--the players I know felt like Wake Forest's staff greatly enjoyed crushing Tech 7-0 this year b/c of their feelings towards Weiss.

There was also just a meeting of the Board of Visitors this weekend, so the timing of all of this is quite interesting. Not sure when or if we'll get the full story on this--will be sure to relate it if it comes my way. At the very least, it is clear there was a great deal of friction within the athletic department when it came to Oliver.

2. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Give the Hokies some credit, it was 8-2.

That sucks for Weiss. Unfortunately he doesn't have the luxury of coaching a sport where you can be an a-hole/jerk/whatever and get away with it.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Interesting. No athletic department likes to see the full-rides on the non-rev teams not play, especially for academic reasons. Two is really bad.

The first rule of all non-revenue sports coaches is to not embarass the university. Having two academically ineligible players violates that rule. Not saying this is what did Ollie in, just pointing it out.

I don't see this having much to do with it. Can't see Tech's admin giving a rat's ass what other coaches think of their coach.

I mean, if they cared about what other people think, would Marcus Vick have lasted as long in Blacksburg as he did?

The only way I can see this making a difference is if some of the other coaches who didn't like Weiss turned him in for rules violations. But, that's just speculation, especially since there's no evidence rules were violated.

Not just interesting but bizzare.

I mean, June? If they were gonna force him out, why not do it earlier to give the new coach more time to get settled. The timing, more than anything else, makes me think something is amiss here.

I agree we may never get the full story and what we do get may come more from posters like yourself than from traditional media.

But it does definitely appears that there was some tension regarding Weiss and like Vilhem said, soccer coaches don't get the same lattitude that revenue coaches get.

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'll throw in my two cents, though I can't remember how I came to be subscribed to this thread.

I don't think I feel as strongly about the presence of foreign players in the college game as Sandon and some others here do - I think one or two per team spices things up, raises the level of the game, adds to our players' and coaches' knowledge base (regarding e.g., training methods, drills, tactics) - but I do strongly object to the idea of 'rent-a-players' who enroll at a US school for one semester for the sole purpose of playing for the soccer team.

As distatsteful as it may seem to fans of the revenue sports, to maintain their eligibility college athletes should meet the academic requirements that all students must meet and make satisfactory progress toward a degree.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    If they didn't care, Marcus would have won the Heisman and Tech would finally have a National Championship.;)

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Touché.

(Or should I say, Summer's Eve?)

7. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Any chance that Tech drops soccer ?

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Always a chance but I'd say it's slim.

If they were dropping it, Weis doesn't "resign" but instead lets the job get eliminated, thus looking much more sympathetic.

9. sampson99

sampson99 New Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Its obviously a high profile job...any early rumors on if it goes to the 1st asst or if there is anyone lined up?

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    No.

11. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
  12. JBohland

JBohland New Member

Feb 6, 1999
    No chance. Tech just built a soccer stadium a few years back and has invested a lot in the sport after years of neglect. Blacksburg is also a big soccer town with a great deal of community support for the game--high school is a AA soccer dynasty in Virginia with 9 state titles and 6 runner up trophies in the last twenty years. Four BHS players are actually on the current Tech roster as well. Cutting the program, esp. given the recent success, would be unthinkable unless their was proof of massive malfeasance under Weiss.

13. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    I was talking to some people today and they mentioned one of assistants from South Florida. Fred (? last name ) supposedly he knows some higher up's at Va Tech.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  15. JBohland

JBohland New Member

Feb 6, 1999
  16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Most players understand that loose lips sink scholarships!

17. NCAA 1

NCAA 1 New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    I hope Tech hires that Fred kid from USF.

18. Bid&Offer

Bid&Offer Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Not happening..What has he done that current ass't at Tech hasn't ?

19. Boss DJ

Boss DJ Member

Jun 4, 2008
  20. BigTenSoccerFan

BigTenSoccerFan New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Rohrman to VA Tech would be an interesting scenario. Head coaching experience in the Big Ten and asst. coaching experience in the ACC.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If only he were, ya know, a GOOD head coach.

Tech could do much better.

22. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
  24. beautifulgame11

beautifulgame11 New Member

May 16, 2005
    Or maybe Mason's assistant who has done such a good job on the recruiting trail.