Colin Powell says UN Speech tarnished his Reputation

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Northcal19, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
  2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would still vote for him for President in a heartbeat.

3. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    He is going to interviewed tonight, ABC IIRC.

4. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much for Bush's safe black man

5. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Powell, 68, who recently visited storm survivors at Reunion Arena in Dallas, said he was "deeply moved" by the families displaced by the devastating storm and was critical of the preparations for Hurricane Katrina. "I think there have been a lot of failures at a lot of levels -- local, state and federal. There was more than enough warning over time about the dangers to New Orleans. Not enough was done. I don't think advantage was taken of the time that was available to us, and I just don't know why..."

6. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can post irrelevant replies too:

Pork chops are goddamn delicious

7. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know! You typically do.

8. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Nothing reactionary about this... :rolleyes:

Seriously: game, set, & match? When's he running for President again? He's a lame duck. And since many on the Left think he's dumb, what would he care about his place in history?

9. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Glad to see you are finally accepting the facts as they are.

10. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    I dunno, there may be that crazy 'for the good of the country' notion, wherein you hope the sitting President with three years left isn't just totally exposed as a total fraud by his former advisors.

While he (fortunately) can't run again, he does have a (Gawd awful) agenda that he and his owners would like to get in place in the the remaining period.

11. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Yeah, but one of his advisors turning south is nowhere near "game, set, & match". My point was that you were a little over the top, not that your point was any less valid than any point I might make in his defense.

12. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    The left when Powell went before the UN - " Damn him the stooge of BushCo. Rot in hell ! "

The left now when Powell says he regrets the UN speech in their best Polly Purebred voice - " My hero ! "

13. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Well, duh.

He lied, we called him out.

He tells the truth, we applaud him.

Isn't it funny how honesty works?

14. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think the right grasps the concept.

15. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, for me Powell is just another sign of whats wrong with the Republican Party. When honest people play good soldiers to bad generals, they do things they and their country will regret.

Im sorry, regardless of your political affiliation (Im an independent, and a centrist), George W. Bush is a dangerous president. If you fail to criticly examine your leaders, youll end up feeling like Powell does now. Used.

16. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yeah, of course, and rightfully so - except the "hero" part, since Powell's not a hero to either party nowadays. At least he's willing to admit that he screwed the pooch on this, which is more than BushCo can do on anything, ever, even when they are so blatantly wrong that the French are embarrassed for them.

Powell was the only senior Administration official to actually serve in the military. Now, he's the only senior Administration official to admit that his participation in the lies, half-truths, misleadings, and mistakes that led to this protracted war and the deaths of thousands actually bother him. Doesn't that concern you even in the tiniest little bit?

17. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Pure comedy.

18. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Not a hero at all. Accomplice is more accurate.

It's more like, before the UN "Damn him the stooge of CushCo. Rot in Hell!"

Now "Good to see you come clean, but it's a little late. Perhaps if you felt that way, you should have come clean before dickhead got re-elected. Rot in purgatory. We'll discuss the rest later."

Is that better.

:rolleyes:

19. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Tarnished? Doesn't that imply that it can be polished up and look as good as new?

I agree with you. He's damaged goods. Republicans will likely have nothing to do with him unless there's a tidal wave of loyal republicans turning on dear leader (ain't gonna happen). and dems would....find a self-confessed stooge extremely distasteful as well.

It takes a man to admit what he did to the public though.

20. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this... tarnished? too late... In my mind, he's lost any reputation he used to have.... I don't even care if he were to work for another administration (Democrat or Republican)....... I would not trust him ever again.... All that's left is for him to be thanked for the very capable job during the first Iraq war....But anything post-UN fiasco, no thanks...

21. chibchab

chibchab Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Powell's speech to the UN was very sad for me. The one person in that administration whom I deeply respected sold himself like a cheap....I can't go on...

22. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another one! :D

23. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    It's still the former for me. I mean, mobile weapons labs??? [Elaine from Seinfeld] *shoves Powell* "GET OUT!"[/elaine]

24. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew i should have whacked off the centrist part to avoid that comparison. ;)

I am unashamedly one of the biggest Bush bashers on this board, because this administration is incompetent. There are some issues I agree with, but if liberal whach jobs were in charge Id dislike them too.

25. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Homer: "First you tell me not to get a pony. Then, you tell me to take it back. MAKE UP YOUR MIND!"

I'll take away this lesson:

Next time someone asks me to give a speech on a controversial topic on their behalf, because it will have greater credibility coming from me ... remind me to politely decline.