Colin Powell Hates Democracy

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by TheSlipperyOne, Oct 26, 2004.

1. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  2. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Whoa that is really weird and out of the blue :eek: I vaguely remember the current administration being in another row with the Taiwanese a couple years ago... but can't remember what that was about anymore...

3. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The current administration likes working with totalitarian, rigged market governments. Hence they prefer of China, Russia and Saudi Arabia over democracies like Taiwan.

Birds of a feather....

4. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Roel again.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They must have taken (Quaa)Ludahai away in the middle of the night. Otherwise, he'd be on this thread already.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's gotta be misquote. I mean, the notion that a week from an election, Powell would take the Bushies off message, either cuz he was authorized to say this, or cuz he wanted to say it himself, is incontheivable.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if this story doesn't change and it's a misquote.

7. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's what I thought also. But the article says the quote I posted is from a State Department transcript so I don't think it was translated into Chinese then translated back to English and somehow got to that point.

8. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    covered

9. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Powell said, "There is only one China. Taiwan is not independent. It does not enjoy sovereignty as a nation, and that remains our policy, our firm policy."

Which part of his sentence was not true?

He was speaking of the facts and that speech has nothing to do with hating democracy.

Why do you guys think Taiwan is independent? Because it has elections?

10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Doesn't it seem inconsistent to sell weapons to a non-independent segment of a nation? Our policy is one of official ambiguity - the un-nuanced statement by Powell is going to have consequences.

11. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    So much for spreading democracy throughout the world.

12. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that ones a bomb. I dont think youd find the Taiwanese particularly keen on that comment.

Jesus. Thats a mind blowing quote.

13. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Powell may or may not like democracy.

Who knows?

But starting next January when he needs a new job, he will definitely like huge consultanting fees from companies looking to sell things (or more likely services) to the Chicoms.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Blitzz, that's some cynical sh** there.

It makes sense, but it's still some cynical sh**.

15. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    It would be even more cynical if I spelled "consulting" right.

Shenhua must have been thrown into a Prison Labor Camp for spending too much time on a message board with Imperialists.

Hey, Shenhua, if you're reading this; let us know as soon as you have our Real Salt Lake jerseys done.

16. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Are you kidding me? Powell just stated the official position regarding China and Taiwan. There's nothing ambiguous about that position.

One China policy was established since the Nixon admin and is still in effect.

17. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

And it's sad that we refuse to recognize a democracy where over 77.5% of the voting age population voted for their president in 2000 (compared to 49.3% in the U.S.).

http://www.idea.int/vt/country_view.cfm

18. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    The only ambiguity is whether we defend Taiwan in a shooting war.

Now ... on the issue of whether Powell hates Democracy, it is clear that he does unless he resigns in protest between now and Nov. 2. That's my dream October surprise.

19. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    That I totally agree. I always think that Powell should have resigned long long time ago.

20. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I don't know how to feel about this.

The US has always had a wink-wink relationship with Taiwan. China is like the wife that the US keeps around because she's the boss's daughter. Taiwan is the girl US screws on the side and pays for her apartment and dance school tuition.

Powell's statement is basically the US saying to Taiwan's face "I love my wife, the sex is great and I'm never leaving her for you." Nothing Taiwan didn't know already, but not the smartest thing to say either.

21. JPhurst

JPhurst New Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Taiwan, to put it mildly, is not pleased....

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/10/26/China.Taiwan.notalk.reut/index.html

Complete hypocrisy on behalf of the Bush administration. For all the preaching about democracy, the United States ignores a loyal ally that has created a flourishing, prosperous, free democracy for the sake of appeasing the ChiComs.

There is only one China. And one Taiwan as well.

22. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    I can remember when the Bush administration had the well-thought out policy of bashing China publicly as a future enemy and flying planes just off the coastline.

How times have changed.

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that the Chinese are helping to finance Ole Five-to-Four's deficit spending, I can't say that I'm shocked at this at all.

And considering that the Saudis are also helping to finance that deficit spending, it explains why this administration defers to them so often.

24. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Shenhua may be staying away as a result of the image ban in this forum. He can no longer satisfy his urge to post pictures of Chinese military hardwares here.

25. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Democracy is always secondary to profits of big business, multi-national corporations.

Therefore, Powell's statement is optimal in current international affairs.