Colin Miller fired

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by JohnnyRanger, Oct 26, 2011.

1. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I don't have a link because I'm really busy at work (for that I'm sorry) ;)

Hamlett and Miller were gassed today. :(

really Liked Colin. Nice guy and seemed to know what the eff he was doing, unlike the rest of the FO and staff of VWFC.

2. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Yeah, I was quite disappointed to see this. Miller is of great value to the club. I even thought he should have been the interim guy after they let go of TT. I know Rennie probably wants "his guys", but they could have found somewhere for Miller to fit.

3. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

The caps went 2-0 with him picking the starting 11. Just sayin...

1 person likes this.
  4. marcopaulo

marcopaulo Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Vancouver

Don't think Miller is a saviour but he could have been kept to give some sort of continuity. But I guess Tommy is our legacy from season 1.

5. canuckred

canuckred Member

Dec 15, 2007

Would have been nice to see Miller go back to some role with the PDL team. It's a shame to see a Canadian manager lose a job, as there aren't too many of them.

6. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Several things bother me about this:

1. If I were firing people, I would have done it in the following order:
    - Tom Soehn
    - Bobby Lenarduzzi
    - Dennis Hamlett (only because I never noticed anything he's really contributed)
    - Tom Soehn (because he's so bad he needs to be fired twice so that he doesn't forget how bad he is at this)
    - Steve Nash (just so he stops being so supportive of Duze; then I would hire Steve back in a second)

2. We have a MASSIVE organization (at least, relative to other MLS clubs). Are you trying to tell me that a former NT member, long-time employee, and former player can be given a role SOMEWHERE in the club?! Hell - we're practically an effing retirement home for ex-Caps who contribute virtually nothing to the club (sorry, Carl). Give Miller something in Residency, for crying out loud.

3. I don't understand why our FO is so classless. I'm no expert on business, but even I could have helped the FO handle their public relations better than this.

1 person likes this.
  7. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    There have been a long string of odd decisions since Paul Barber took the reigns. I do get surprised when people keep wanting to sack Duzzi. He is more of a figure head than anything now, and with his good relations with media is valuable to have in that capacity.

I would not expect anything better from the current crop of managers. And to be honest, having watched the past 12 months closely, I really think Paul Barber is very loyal to Tom Soehn and I do not forsee him getting rid of him any time soon. Paul said in a recent interview he is very happy with the technical staff and they are excellent (this would include TS of course).

But yea, seeing a guy like MIller go is tough. He is a quality asset and could have bend utilized somewhere within the club.

I like you wanting to fire Nash, but can not agree with bringing him back! I really think he is using this as a vanity project more than anything and it bothers me if he has any influence on player or management decisions. I mean, practicing with the club just smacks of ego more than anything else.

In my opinion the ownership should provide the capital, and hire the right guy to be CEO and hold him accountable. They should not get their hands on the day to day operations of the squad.

8. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Steve Nash is doing what I think anyone with money to own a small percentage of a sports team would! Would I like to kick around with the players? He comes out watches games from in the stands. He has said he has faith in those in charge and makes little to no impact on the day to day decisions, but is more then happy when they let him in on the discussions.

Nash is a great guy to have around!

9. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    agree with u! but he does need to 'wake up and smell the shite' around paul barber and TS- can the Caps get much better for 2012 with these 2 naive clowns making the major decisions for the Caps???

10. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    agree- keep BL- his history and success with the Caps (his teams usually performed very well!!) make it a no-brainer-- some people have 'axes to grind' against him, but his record as CEO was very good over many years

and PB should be on a short leash heading into 2012-- get it done better or move on! i dont care how nice his smiles, words and suits are-- results are where it is at-- this is MLS, not the EPL-- if phillie and RBNY can get BIG results in 1 year, so can the Caps

11. Brittania

Brittania Member

Oct 26, 2011
    After a strange season maybe its time for PB, TS and Jarju to look for new opportunities. The on-pitch product could of been better and the clubs presence in the media needs to improve. The Caps have something like the 3rd best attendence in the league, some new digs and would appear to be ditched by the media. This is a market with no NFL, NBA or MLB to compete with.

12. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    The fact that the Caps still drew 20,000 in September when they had such a horrible season says something very clear. Even with poor Front Office, and being ignored by a lot of the media, the people in the marketplace are paying attention. The "in game" experience is so enjoyable that people want to be there even when the club loses game after game.

If we can get this kind of crowd with a horrible expansion season; what is the potential if they put together a couple of winning years with a Cup run. You could max out that lower bowl at 26,000 (when you take out the Bell tarps over the seats) every single game. Wouldn't that be amazing.

13. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    The media coverage really frustrates me. I notice the lack of Whitecaps coverage the most in the Vancouver Sun, I do not get the Province, but they seem to have a much more in depth coverage of Soccer, where as the Whitecaps are lucky to get 3rd page in the sports section on game day if the Lions and Canucks are not playing.

The Lions get great coverage, comparable almost to the Canucks, I had hoped that the Whitecaps would get comparable coverage as the Lions, but it didn't happen. I think having a losing season did not help, and the actual viewership of the Whitecaps vs. Lions is much lower. String some wins together early, and get something to talk about and maybe more people will get to games - and the media will have something to talk about.

I think the Whitecaps have done very well engaging the public through social media, (I'm not sold on all the Carl Valentine interviews) but need to get front page coverage in traditional print.

14. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This forum seems to be 50/50 on Barber, but fairly united about disliking Soehn.

How about this compromise? If Barber sacks Soehn before the end of next season, we all love Barber and this whole mess has been Soehn's fault, and if Barber keeps Soehn and we suck again and Rennie gets frustrated, this was all Barber's fault and we can the both of them.

God help us if Barber keeps Soehn and we make the playoffs next season. My head will explode.

15. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    here's hoping