Colin Clarke is "a bit of a racist" and more idiotic insights from the Observer

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by SoccerX, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I guess i have a good BS filter, because if you're good at doing the math and you read the whole (long) article, I think thet's the conclusion you come to:

1 - Guy who ripped up local Latino leagues struggles to get time in MLS
    2 - Carlos Ruiz plays on the team
    3 - Local Latino leagues believe Colin Clarke is a racist

Don't #1 and #2 contradict number 3? (They could have pointed out that Nunez and Alvarez are both on the team as well, but even so).

3 - Local Latino leagues think their guys are better than MLS
    4 - Pareja and Gato, the two most likely to know, both say different.

My only complaint, really, is burying some of the most favorable comments twards the end of the article, and putting heavy spin in the first few paragraphs. After that, the article becomes a fascinating story, and one that was certainly worth my time to read.

My general opinoion is if you cover something in enough depth, then even if you spin it, the truth will out.

2. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Don't forget it also is the incubator for future city mayors and other public servants.

3. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    What is funny is that many South Americans consider Latin America to be everything south of the Panama canal.

4. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and do not forget that Portuguese, Italians, Frenchmen, & Spaniards are also Latins but not from America....

5. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    As Pasta and Samba pointed out, this is where a solid marketing effort on FCD part could overcome any of the local league leaders political agendas. FCD has fallen woefully short in their marketing efforts of this team in the hispanic community, and every other market too, including the suburban market where they are building a shiny new stadium.

6. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean like against Germany in 02?

7. FC Dallas

FC Dallas New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    :)

My grandfather on my mother's side was adopted; so I just call myself an Ethical Ethnical Winner...

:)

... and I hold Kevin's ability to synthesize truthful information into progressive cause - in high esteem. Yes; truth is relative - relative to the 'situation at hand'.. prevalent dynamics. Chaos Theory.. spontaneous ordering/organizing of chaos.. Situational Management.

Leave it to an ethical lawyer to ferret out the truth and DO something with it.. Just Cause.. That's Progressive Baby!!!

8. GoldFinger

GoldFinger New Member

Jun 19, 2004
    While we are on the topic of fair journalism...you might want to remember that the DMN has run an interview with EJ on the 2 pg of the sports as well as many other feature articles.

9. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a theory about Landon - that when surrounded by talent, he excells. When in an environment that compliments him, he does well.

But he doesn't have that Ronnie "I'm going to put the team on my shoulders" O'Brien attitude of "dammit, we are NOT going to lose."

It is the difference between Alex Rodriguez and Michael Jordan.

I'm not dissing the skills, just the intestinal fortitute. He is one hell of a weapon in the arsenal, but he has not been the point of the spear, so to speak.

10. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or recently in Azteca?

Hey, I'll give you that he played well in that Panama game that we tied late. But playing in Panama is not the same as say playing in Costa Rica.

It is why he did well for San Jose and not for BL.

11. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [blush]

12. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Do you give ANY credit to the fact that these folk are overextended, overworked and underpaid?

If you want to point the finger, please discriminate between those who set the budget (HSG) and the soldiers in the field.

Just a suggestion.

13. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give Landy Cakes a pass in Azteca. Landy was not playing the Mexican squad but rather the altitude and pollution. The crowd would be the third element but that can be handleded w/ goals as for altitude and pollution, there is little that Landy's skills or gumption can do...

14. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Figuring out who to blame does not address the problem. Actually, no problem in any walk of life is ever solved until the step you seem to get hung on often is cleared.

Much more marketing was done with much smaller budgets in previous years.

15. GoldFinger

GoldFinger New Member

Jun 19, 2004
    You guys are so ridiculous. Pointing out a couple of games, especially against Germany and at Azteca. (But let's not start the BS favorite discussion)

And if ROB really could take the game on his shoulders and refuse to lose, the Dallas Burn wouldn't have sucked.

16. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dallas Observer article

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, "Latin" countries are those that were settled first by the Spanish, and thus generally speak Spanish.

Because Brazil was settled by Portuguese, it is not a Latin American country.

If I'm right, then Latin American countries would include all of Central America, excluding the Carribean, and select South American countries.

17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I could be wrong too, but I think Latin also covers countries like Portugal and Italy...

18. Pasta and Samba

Pasta and Samba New Member

Jun 2, 2004

Sorry, but yes, you are wrong.

Latin countries are those that speak one of the romance languages (whose origin is Latin). Italy is a Latin country. So are Spain and France. And Portugal. And so is Brazil. Brazil is very much considered to be a Latin country.

All of the South American countries (nine that speak spanish and one that speaks portuguese) are "Latin" countries.

19. Pasta and Samba

Pasta and Samba New Member

Jun 2, 2004

Several Carribean countries were settled by the Spanish - Dominican Republic, Cuba, Puerto Rico ....

20. hellsknight

hellsknight New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Garland, Texas, USA

Yeah, that is right. Latin countries are countries that speak the Romance languages which are Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French or not many people know this but, Romanian. So Romania is a Latin country too.

21. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm extremely skeptical about 'marketing' as a white knight in this circumstance. You're basically talking about out-marketing bigotry, a very desirable product.

22. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

The term "Latin America" btw, was invented by the French, to legitimate their claims in the new world alongside those of Spain and Portugal, against the English and Dutch.

23. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? Getting into the specifc whys and wherefores doesn't address the problem?

Yes, because they didn't have their countries 100th anniversary, their wedding, their wive's murder, and Gilder to blame for it.

24. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree I'm surprised, too, where ROB's newfound ability to play the middle comes from. He certainly couldn't do it in years past. I know going into this season I was really hoping he didn't end up in the middle (remember all those discussions about how Ronnie needs to be on the wing, etc.)

But for some reason, when Richard went down, Ronnie has been a monster. Clearly, the MVP is either him or Simo.

Regarding Landon, I'll point you to the vast swaths of games where he is invisible. Someone with his talent shouldn't be away from the ball for much time (see Oscar when he was on his game.)

25. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles

You are wrong. "Latin" refers to countries settled by Latin cultures, of which Portugal is one. So is France, Italy, and Spain. All those cultures' languages are based on Latin - and all kept key parts of their Roman tradition (religion, etc)

Latin America therefore includes Brazil and even Haiti.

It does not include Jamaica or Belize (English settled) or Curacao (Holland).

Hispano-America refers specifically to countries settled by Spain who still use Spanish as their primary language.

I probably don't really belong on this thread, but what I've noticed here in LA is a certain amount of resentment by Mexican fans towards MLS that none of their players have ever succeeded here. Heck, some even blame MLS for "ruining" Luis Hernandez. Simply put, it doesn't matter to those who think that way that Carlos Ruiz was MVP - he's not Mexican. Neither is Mina, or Guevara, or Etchevary, or Valderama, or Hurtado back in the day. It's a two-edged sword for them to slam MLS so much - if we're so sucky, why can't a Mexie player come in and set the league on fire. It must be because we're playing the wrong way.

If the attitude in Texas is the same as that in Cali - it won't be a Latin star the league and team need to pull these "fans" in - it will have to be a Mexican one.

And you're out of luck, cause Chivas USA is probably going to nab him, or with Juan Pablo Garcia, might have already.

But yeah, back to the article - it sucks. Very unbalanced.