Cole to leave this summer ?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Jeff L, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I spoke with my boy earlier on, and he told that on the back of todays "SUN", (yes, I know it's The Sun !), but apparently AC3 has now confirmed his decision to leave this summer, citing David Dein as part of the reason.
    I am assuming that he is still not over the "Chelsea saga", and IMO would put them ahead of R.M. in the race to get him.
    Personally, I won't be sorry. I think that we can have that slot covered pretty well, and the overinflated price that we should attain, will be well spent elsewhere.
    Again, let's see if the "grass is always greener" syndrome hits him, as it has don many others ! :mad:

2. NorthBank Phil

NorthBank Phil New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    London, UK
    yes it does appear that he is on his way, i'll be gutted to see him go BUT as you say we have some great cover in that position with Gael and of course super-cover flamini!! So many players leave arsenal and rarely get the same club experience its a shame that the penny hasnt dropped yet.

I'm not convinced on the given reason he's leavinng though, citing Dein as the answer. i know he's bent over backwards since that fiasco to right the wrongs. Given that AC's solcitors are still pursuing the NOtheW i cant help think that this has now made him think about a move abroad. But as is always with arsenal until you read it on a press release or on the website i'm not thinking he's gone for sure.

Winning the CL could be a big pull to stay or of course it could be reason to seek other challenges!

3. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We haven't been spectacular with out him and we've lost some of the offensive pace on that side of the field. As much as I'd like to see him stay, I don't care if he leaves because Clichy will certainly fill the position.

4. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey Dave, congratulations on the Goonerette!!!! Again, an amazing avatar.

5. gunner-anders

gunner-anders New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Edinburgh
    We'll definitely be needing a new CB and LB this summer. I don't think Senderos is reliable enough to be full-time, no matter how decent he's been this year. Cole will almost certainly be on the way out, and Clichy isn't strong enough to be our #1.

Here's hoping Arsene gets the funds he needs this summer.

6. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    i didnt believe a word of the story in the sun as soon as i saw 'a close friend says....'. as soon as u see that u know its b0ll0x.

but at the same time i do still think he is leaving but thats nothing to do with todays 'exclusive' which was made up in some office somewhere because we have a game tonight.

7. wwnyc

wwnyc Member

Sep 5, 2004
    flamini has been an amazing replacement, but i would really like to see cole stick around for a few more years. he's one of the best backs in the world, came up with the arsenal, and is only in his mid-twenties. our form in CL has been great - can you imagine how much better we would be with cole in there? yes flamini has been playing out of his mind, but players are a streaky bunch (everyone was raving about senderos when he first filled in for campbell and now people are already hollering about finding his replacement..). it would be one less concern going into next season with cole, flamini and a healthy clichy......

8. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    the rumours all sound sketchy but if he does go it will be a blow if its a direct rival ie chelski.

And i expect the club to get at least 15 million pounds, from barca or RM, for him to reinforce other areas, unless chelski lose their heads and offer 25-30 mill.

9. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Hey, lets all believe what we read in the Sun...

10. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Hey! The Sun is a quality paper. :rolleyes:

Seriously, if he wants to go let him. There's no point in having a player who wants out.

bigg

11. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    HELL YEAH! Flamini has been doing ok on the back line. Clichy is coming back. I think defense is solid and I still think Cole is holding out on playing aka milking his injury so he will be 100% for the summer to land a new club.

In the end, who knows?

12. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Flamini is not doing as well as what some of you people are thinking. Just look back at the Man U game and see how much he struggled against CRonaldo.

13. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    And in today's news, Chelsea boss Jose said that he is not going after Cole in the transfer market...Real wont get him because they are not selling Carlos.... Only team to maybe get him would be AC or Barca.

14. siddharth

siddharth New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    India , Mumbai
    Madrid will definately try for cole this summer. Carlos is past it and madrid would be foolish to persist with him.Milan already have jankulovski and i'm not sure about cole moving to barca.

15. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC
    welcome back, catphish.

16. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Let me put it this way. Carlos has already stated hes staying at Madrid for another 2-3 years. Also, he still is one of their best players at the moment. He currently still has like 2 more years left on his contract and if Cole comes, either Cole or him would play on the bench. I dont think Cole will be going to Madrid, they have too many other spots to fill to be worried about LB.

17. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    It isn't too hard to be the best player in that **** team. They can get Cole and play in the left wing. Either that or get Cole and bench that Carlos. He's not young anymore (33 years old) and you can't expect him to play at his best forever. Madrid will not miss out on the chance to get Cole even if they have other holes to plug.

18. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    lee dixon was starting games for us while he was 37-38. i dont see why roberto carlos cant play at 33 for real madrid.

19. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    all that comes through my head here is the image of Ashley Cole falling over after a Cristiano Ronaldo stepover...
    i realize that Perez is gone but Madrid are certainly not a team that worries so much about filling holes. i wouldn't be surprised if they bought Ashley because they wanted him to play forward!

20. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    thanks buddy...nice to have been missed.

rock on.

21. West 'am 'till I die

West 'am 'till I die BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 28, 2006
    London

Try telling a Real fan that RC is their best player at the moment

22. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    You obviously dont remember Carlos running the length of the pitch to stop Pires long shot, when the keeper had come up ? He's not past it yet.

Ronaldo had a very quiet game against us. Flamini did very well against him. But Cole IS better

23. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah and Pires tackled Vieira to set up the goal against Juve...so what? They are both well down the downslope of their careers and both clubs should be looking to replace them.

24. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    so what ? Carlos didn't look like a 'has been' in either leg is so what. I think Real Madrid have more pressing concerns for next season than Carlos. If he can still do a good job why spend £20 mill on a replacement, who will demand more wages when they can spend the money on gaping holes in the team

25. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    I agree. RB is on of the positions that they dont have to worry about this season. They have to look at CB, midfield. I dont think they would want to buy TOO much in the summer, especially how they were talking about them being 200+ in debt this year. Also, i can see them doing that maybe next year, but not this year.