Cole Bassett at Fortuna Sittard (olf Colorado Rapids)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Feyenoord atm has two objectives, concerning the players group.
    First one is increasing depth (PSV and Ajax have considerably far more depth on the bench than us) to keep chances for the title alive. So therefore the wish for Bazour as an immediate impact player.
    Second is getting talents ready to fill in when players leave. This goes along with learning minutes in the first team by being subbed in.

dougtee repped this.
  2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking for that stat. It was obscene how often he was hitting the post from the eye test. So w/ luck evening out, there's a lot more goals there. He has 10+ goal seasons in him, from an 8 position.

People are wondering where his standout traits would be, & that would be one, along w/ his engine. And he doesn't have a glaring deficiency seemingly to fell him.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! That stat is correct. And some of them..... absolute bangers that would have been Goal of the Year worthy. Kid has an absolute cannon of a foot. He puts in on frame. Some of those shots are down to unluckiness. Some of those shots he pushed off the post / hit crossbar because he hesitated or didn't take the right angel. They weren't sitters but definitely shots he could have buried. That's all correctable though. If he irons that out, the sky is the limit.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's what he needs. He is a well rounded attacking player who never stopped progressing. Might be ready for a leap forward.

5. Hope he's up to the challenge and proves his worth.
    We will need it, as Guus Til has impressed on his loan at Feyenoord and Spartak isnot going to sell him. So there could be two midfielders gone in the summer.

6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    #106 butters59, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    I don't know where his ceiling is, but his floor for me is above LDLT level. The kid is traditionally underrated as he doesn't do anything super fancy. He's rejected an offer from Benfica in the summer, what was smart.

7. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    The Eredivise and Cole Bassett are a good match. Yup, he will fit in and be a net plus. Little doubt in my mind. I agree that the question about his ceiling, and what he can be is wide open. I’m gonna go with clubs like Freiburg, Benfica and F’rood. Good youth reps, all wanted him. I think we underrate Cole in a lot of ways. Playing for the Rapids will do that.

8. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    No doubt it will be tough but with the year you all are having they type of training will be great for Cole.

9. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Basset played for a bigger team in MLS we would be talking about him differently. I really like him as an all action midfielder. I think he has the potential to play at the highest levels.

Any suggestions kn what the fee might be??

10. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    It’s challenging to move up a level in league/squad. Some fail and some succeed. I’m just looking forward to following events.

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean….. he did play for the best team - points wise - in the Western Conference! ;)

Word on the street, around these parts, the fee would be in the $3-4M range.

12. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Yeah, but it’s still the Rapids.:D A couple of big holes to fill for you. If Fraser can do it again then it’s time to really start elevating him in the national picture IMO.

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a poor #. He should be netting 4 million+ guaranteed. For it to be near market value this way, there's got to be an obligation to buy that's just a formality off some really low minutes mark he has to hit, w/ further incentives, & a 20% sell on.

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Should have sold him to that superclub Dallas for 4 +20%, and then Dallas would have promptly resold for 8 + 20%. But, if seriously, it's a much better deal for the kid than for Colorado. Although Colorado was ready to sell him to Portugal for some peanuts, so they should feel lucky even if that's just $3M.

15. https://www.fr12.nl/cole-bassett
    Cole Bassett

Cole Bassett is geboren op 28 juli 2001 in de Verenigde Staten. De middenvelder heeft een lengte van 180 cm en speelde 71 wedstrijden in de MLS voordat hij de overstap naar Feyenoord maakte. De Rotterdammers hebben op 14 januari 2022 een akkoord weten te bereiken met Colorado Rapids over een huur met optie tot koop.

Bassett heeft bewust voor Feyenoord gekozen. Benfica werd eerder afgewezen voor de Amerikaan. De scouting volgt de middenvelder al sinds de zomer van 2021 en zijn onder de indruk geraakt. Dankzij goede contacten van trainer Arne Slot was een overstap zo gemaakt. De in Littleton geboren Bassett heeft begin 2022 een marktwaarde van ruim zes miljoen euro

Cole Bassett
    Cole Bassett was born on July 28, 2001 in the United States. The midfielder has a length of 180 cm and played 71 games in the MLS before making the switch to Feyenoord. On 14 January 2022, the Rotterdammers reached an agreement with Colorado Rapids about a lease with an option to buy.

Bassett has deliberately chosen Feyenoord. Benfica was previously rejected by the American.
    The scouting has been following the midfielder since the summer of 2021 and have been impressed. Thanks to good contacts of trainer Arne Slot, a switch was made in no time. The Littleton-born Bassett has a market value of more than six million euros at the beginning of 2022

16. https://www.fr12.nl/nieuws/je-hoort-goede-verhalen-over-deze-speler
    ''Je hoort goede verhalen over deze speler''

14/01/2022 15:06 221 reacties

De twintigjarige Cole Bassett wordt de eerste winterse versterking voor Feyenoord, de middenvelder zal volgende week woensdag in Rotterdam aankomen en na een verplichte quarantaine-periode bij de Rotterdammers aansluiten.

"Ze waren al een aantal maanden bezig met hem, ze volgden hem vanaf de zomer op de voet. Uiteindelijk hebben ze besloten om deze jongen een contract aan te bieden, ook omdat het niet lukte met Joey Veerman en Riechedly Bazoer", zo vertelt Feyenoord watcher Martijn Krabbendam voor de camera van Voetbal International. "Het is een goed alternatief, een enkelvoudig Amerikaans international. Als je mensen spreekt die de MLS kennen hoor je goede verhalen over deze speler."

"Hij zal aan het begin wel even moeten wennen omdat er in de MLS anders wordt gespeeld, maar ze hebben er wel hoge verwachtingen van: groot loopvermogen, tweebenig, goed tempo. Het kan een speler zijn die Feyenoord op termijn verder gaat helpen. Het is eigenlijk de inkomende transfer waar Arne Slot al zo lang op zit te wachten."

"Het is niet de bord-op-schoot-scouting die we kenden van Feyenoord. Het is een jonge jongen en dat is wat Feyenoord wil: jonge spelers die waarde vertegenwoordigen op het veld", zo vervolgt Krabbendam. "Hij heeft Benfica afgezegd, want hij wilde naar dit deel van Europa omdat hij denkt dat hij zich hier beter kan ontwikkelen. Slot kent die bondscoach van Amerika (Greg Berhalter - red.) goed en die trainer kent het Nederlandse voetbal goed (als oud-speler van Zwolle, Cambuur en Sparta - red.). De scouting heeft de speler goed doorgelicht, alle seinen op groen gezet en toen heeft Feyenoord snel gehandeld en hem binnengehaald.
    "

''You hear good stories about this player.''

14/01/2022 15:06 221 comments

Twenty-year-old Cole Bassett will be the first winter reinforcement for Feyenoord, the midfielder will arrive in Rotterdam next Wednesday and join the Rotterdam team after a mandatory quarantine period. "They had been working on him for a number of months, they followed him closely from the summer. In the end, they decided to offer this boy a contract, also because it did not work out with Joey Veerman and Riechedly Bazoer," says Feyenoord watcher Martijn Krabbendam in front of the camera of Voetbal International. "It's a good alternative, a one-time American international. When you speak to people who know the MLS, you hear good stories about this player."

"He will have to get used to it at the beginning because the MLS plays differently, but they have high expectations: great running ability, two-legged, good pace. It may be a player who will help Feyenoord in the long term. It is actually the incoming transfer that Arne Slot has been waiting for for so long." "It's not the board-on-lap scouting that we knew from Feyenoord. He is a young boy and that is what Feyenoord wants: young players who represent value on the field," Krabbendam continues. "He cancelled Benfica because he wanted to go to this part of Europe because he thinks he can develop better here. Slot knows that national coach of America (Greg Berhalter - ed.) well and that coach knows Dutch football well (as a former player of Zwolle, Cambuur and Sparta - ed.). The scouting vetted the player well, gave all the signals the green light and then Feyenoord acted quickly and brought him in
    ."

17. TD Frank Arnesen about Cole:

Frank Arnesen is tevreden met zijn komst
    ''We zijn ervan overtuigd dat Cole voor ons een aanwinst kan zijn’, vertelt de Deen in gesprek met Voetbal International. ''Hij voldoet aan alle voorwaarden al snappen wij ook wel dat hij tijd nodig heeft. In de MLS wordt anders gevoetbald, hij zal ongetwijfeld moeten wennen aan het positiespel, maar dat hoeft geen groot probleem te zijn voor zo’n speler. Hij past echt in onze filosofie: jonge spelers halen die zich door ontwikkelen, het team beter maken en transferwaarde vertegenwoordigen.''

Frank Arnesen is satisfied with his arrival

"We are convinced that Cole can be an asset to us," says the Dane in conversation with Voetbal International. "He meets all the conditions, although we also understand that he needs time. In the MLS football is played differently, he will undoubtedly have to get used to the position game, but that does not have to be a big problem for such a player. He really fits in with our philosophy: bring in young players who continue to develop, make the team better and represent transfer value."

The red bolded part was an issue for the Arsenal top talent Reiss Nelson (on loan here to gain experience) too, as he in an interview admitted he was used to more physical game in the epl, so he had to adapt and learn to play more tactically too.

18. Anyway I suppose Feyenoord (Slot and Arnesen) talked with Cole about the findings of the scouts and their own judgement based on mls matches (we can watch them on tv here) where they see need for improvement and how they're gonna tackle that.
    So I expect Cole made a very informed decision with his choice to join Feyenoord.
    Expectations are there with Feyenoord and it's up to him to make them true.
    Good luck comes with hard work, so go for it Cole!!

ChicagoVT, Winoman and m vann repped this.
  19. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Based on past decisions Cole made (Benfica) I expect he has a clear idea if what you guys are expecting of him

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  20. To keep the Cole info in this thread I copied this post to here.
    @theboogeyman
    I can't speak for Hoffenheim, but as far as goes for Feyenoord the aim is to get him to the level needed to fit in properly in the first team and that requires full commitment from the staff and of course also frome Cole. In the context of Feyenoord going in with an ambigious attitude towards Cole doesnot make sense. To make this work complete dedication is a necesity, otherwise it's wasted time better spent on someone else. So the coming half of the season will be hard work from Cole and the staff to make him ready to get ever more sub minutes to show his progress on the pitch. The dedication from the staff will be there as success of Cole will mean a good asset into the squad's selection and for both clubs a good deal as I expect his club will have a cut from a future transfer result.

If the loan isnot succesfull, in the sense he didnot meet the Feyenoord expectations, it doesnot mean it's been a 1.5 year waste, as he has been on the job almost personal attention guided player, who has gained experience worth alot for other clubs.

Winoman repped this.
  21. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    I don’t have any reservations about this kid. I got to see Tyler Adams in NY and you just knew he was gonna be an asset to someone. The attitude, the mentality, decision making (off field), work ethic was all there. Bassett reminds me of TA.
    There were a lot of doubts with regards to Tyler in MLS and when he left, form a lot of people. Cole is a bit under the radar IMO.
    He is going to be more than fine IMO, and I expect him to make some quick adjustments, just like Tyler.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  22. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Isn't that red bolded exactly why young players should go to top Dutch clubs?

23. Compare Cole's situation with Matt Miazga's. Vitesse were surprised by Matt's needed points of improvements, when he landed on loan from Chelsea in Arnhem. They didnot expect that. It took months of attention and hard work to overcome them.
    No surprises here as he from the reports I read has been analysed for months, so both Cole and Feyenoord have a good vision on what needs to be worked on the coming months.
    Maybe some time I will go to the 1908 Ground to have a personal chat with him.

eliwood, TheFalseNine and Winoman repped this.
  24. Well, because top clubs buy away players ever younger, Eredivisie clubs are forced to make players ever younger up to the task to perform at Eredivisie level, so unlike elsewhere as a young player you out of necesity get the chance to play first team matches sooner than elsewhere, which also contributes to their growth as a player.

butters59 repped this.
  25. I think it would be interesting for him to contact Ledezma and de la Torre to learn from them how they coped with the transition process in their clubs.
    They rode the ride, so tap in their experience and use them as echo chamber.