Cole Bassett at Fortuna Sittard (olf Colorado Rapids)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Coach Slot has confirmed Cole Basset is joining Feyenoord.

Het is een jongen die vanuit onze scouting in beeld is gekomen. Cole is een jonge speler, die past binnen het beleid dat we bij Feyenoord hebben ingezet: waarin we talentvolle jongens aan ons willen binden, die we verder kunnen ontwikkelen. Hij is recent Amerikaans international geworden jongstleden en heeft een aantal fysieke kenmerken, waarvan wij denken dat ze bij ons passen.”

"It's a boy who came into the picture from our scouting. Cole is a young player, who fits in with the policy that we have deployed at Feyenoord: in which we want to bind talented boys to us, who we can further develop. He recently became an American international and has a number of physical characteristics that we think suit us."

3. Wll be difficult for him. To give an example. Reiss Nelson, a highly praised talent of Arsenal, just has been able to fill in sub minutes. Because of injuries he finally had the chance the last two matches to start.

The Netherlands most likely will jump over Portugal in the coefficiency table next season, meaning we will have two immediate group stage spots and one CL qualifying spot.

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better move than Sands to Rangers?

WheezingUSASupport and adam tash repped this.
  5. AD Sportwereld:
    Slot ziet in Bassett geen directe versterking en geeft hoop op overgang Bazoer naar Feyenoord nog niet op

In de Kuip zijn ze blij dat de Amerikaan Cole Bassett deze week naar Rotterdam komt om Feyenoord te versterken. Maar trainer Arne Slot was meteen duidelijk. De middenvelder van Colorado Rapids ‘moet voetballend nog wel wat stappen zetten’. Vrij vertaald is dat een aankondiging dat Bassett niet meteen in aanmerking zal komen voor veel speeltijd in de Kuip.
    Mikos Gouka 14 jan. 2022

Slot doesnot consider a direct reinforcement in Bassett and does not give up hope for Bazoer's transfer to Feyenoord yet.
    In de Kuip they are happy that the American Cole Bassett is coming to Rotterdam this week to strengthen Feyenoord. But coach Arne Slot was immediately clear. The Midfielder of Colorado Rapids 'still has to take some steps in playing football' (= has to improve alot football wise, fsf). Loosely translated, that is an announcement that Bassett will not immediately be eligible for a lot of playing time in de Kuip.
    Mikos Gouka 14 Jan. 2022

ChicagoVT, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Would this make him the 2nd American to play for Feyenoord -- after Cory Gibbs?

7. Afaik yes, apart from those who were in the academy.
    My late father was a big fan of Cory, a true fighter he considered him.

Winoman repped this.
  8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the next half season that's likely true, because he's playing in a better league. But even then, it's not great, & Sands has the mitigator of competing in Europa League for 2 games minimum. So he can play a superior opponent there.

Afterward, it may switch to Sands. Rangers will be in Champions' League qualifiers and then at worst the Europa League group stage for 6 games. Whereas Feyenoord, if they hold on, are in Conference League qualifiers.

I think this also gives Bassett better assurance he'll be moved on to greener pastures eventually. But Rangers have more upside in this regard, just selling their backup rb to Everton for 15 mill. If they establish this as more of the norm, Sands' move has the edge.

I don't know why neither couldn't have just transferred directly to Mainz and Sampdoria or wherever. I guess they're looking at Aaronson & McKenzie as better templates. But it's individual. W/ Bassett's fast play speed & Sands' intelligence, I think they could have handled the big 5's moves directly. Others like Reynolds have needed the in-between step.

ChicagoVT and adam tash repped this.
  9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the New Year, there has been some quiet but confident talk amongst those in the know (those in Denver) that Bassett was leaving. We just didn't know where but many believed it was a Dutch or Belgian side. On paper, I love the move. I think Bassett, once acclimated, could have a big impact. It may be next season and that's okay as he adjusts. But eventually his Lampard-like game is will be greatly appreciated. As one who has seen nearly all of Bassett's professional matches (and some as an opposing youth coach) Feyenoord are getting a guy that truly can be two-way SCORING midfielder similar to Lampard. He's incredible at making runs into dangerous positions. He always seems to find himself in great scoring positions. Cole just has to improve his finishing. I can't tell you how many posts and crossbars he's hit in two years. If he starts converting those chances..... watch out!

10. The Netherlands most likely will jump over Portugal in the coefficiency table next season, meaning we will have two immediate group stage spots and one CL qualifying spot.
    Feyenoord atm are 3 points from Ajax and 5 points from PSV.

According to coach Slot's assesment Cole needs alot of work before he can be considered for the first team. So I doubt if he would/could handle a direct move to the big 5 leagues. This half of the season will be a learning curve for him, after that it will depend on what he has shown what lies in store for the next season. But with Slot he has got one of the most promising coaches to learn from.

11. Going by the description of @m vann he fits nicely in the concept of playstyle of coach Slot, which is is a high pressing game with speed going forward.

12. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if this works out, perhaps my favorite move so far of this window for yanks.

curious that the team has already stated that he wont likely be in for much playing time immediately - considering he turned down benfica for that reason....but makes me think he must have been given a convincing sell by the team.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you just told me this is a bad move, since the manager has an ignorant, overly negative perspective on his ability, yet they signed him anyway. Yay!

Always love for players to go to teams where coming in managers have prejudice against them going in. That always goes well.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  14. We probably lose our midfielder Kökcu, who's in great demand, so if Cole develops the right way, he can step in next season.

YNWA Rob and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. No, the coach isnot down on him, on the contrary, but sees alot of improvement needed to be ready for the first team. If Slot wasnot positive on his outlook, the club wouldnot sign him.
    Edit: There's a difference between being down on somebody and seeing the potential behind the things that need addressing. If Slot doesnot see Cole capable of improving on the points Slot wants to see improvement, he's not going to bother investing time in him. The fact he does puts the ball in Cole's court, to prove Slot is right about his potential.

16. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    So if Feyenoord remains 3rd at the end of the season, what European competition are they playing in next season? Does it depend on who wins the KNVB Cup or something like that?

17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of right now, they are playing in Conference League qualifiers. But I guess dominos could fall to upgrade them. It probably has to do w/ how far Ajax goes & PSV in the mighty Conference League.

18. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. No. Numbers 1 and 2 go directly into the CL group stage. The nr 3 will have to play qualifiers to reach the CL group stage.

20. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I don't see how that could be true. Last season 3rd place ended up in the Europa League play-off round, and I don't think the Eredivisie's coefficient has dropped since then.

Also I didn't think coefficient changes this season would effect qualification for next season's European competitions. I thought those took effect the following season. Am I misremembering that?

21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feyenoord fan claims it's fluid, so I'd defer in that regard because I haven't read those rules nor am I experienced in the process.

But looking at the coded standings, they have 3rd place going to Conference League qualifiers ATM, so something must have to change.

https://us.soccerway.com/national/netherlands/eredivisie/20212022/regular-season/r63325/

https://www.espn.com/soccer/standings/_/league/ned.1

22. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
  23. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Mikey at H’veen style?

ChicagoVT repped this.
  24. It depends on the league coefficient ranking.
    The Dutch league atm has the highest points won of all leagues in the UEFA.
    Next year the 2017-2018 year is scrapped and replaces by this seasons points.

Current status:
    5. Frankrijk - 55,748
    6. Portugal - 50,049
    7. NEDERLAND - 44,300
    8. Oostenrijk - 37,850

Status after scrapping lousy season 2017-2018, sofar

5. Frankrijk - 44,248
    6. NEDERLAND - 41,100
    7. Portugal - 40,383

Portugal in the CL has two clubs, Benfica facing Ajax and Sporting facing Manchester City.
    The Europa League clubs from the qualifying round for the 8th final arenot know yet.
    These are the Portugal candidates match ups:
    FC Sheriff Tiraspol - Sporting Braga
    FC Porto - Lazio

In the Conference league all Portuguese clubs are eliminated.
    PSV Eindhoven and Vitesse Arnhem have to play a qualifying round to reach the 8th final ko round, in which Feyenoord and AZ are present.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  25. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I saw a stat that he has hit more post in the past two seasons than any MLS player and it wasn't even close

UniversalAdvice repped this.