Cole Bassett at Fortuna Sittard (olf Colorado Rapids)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 28, 2019.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could it be a player exchange?

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. We signed a new LB, a Brazilian, Lucas Esteves, as Vines’ replacement and in order to do so traded Nicolas Benezet to Seattle to open up an international roster spot.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    There's talk this is a Benfica B deal, which makes no sense to me. I don't care about acclimation. If he's not good enough to at least be on the bench for the first team he shouldn't go. Getting buried on B could kill his European asperations.

4. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Yeah no thanks to that B team black hole

5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a big fan of going to worse leagues from the one you've done pretty well in. Really stunting of development and doesn't speak to belief in him from prospective new club.

Total Market Value:

Benfica - 357
    Freiburg - 146
    Braga - 138

Just take a step down club-wise to enjoy a higher level league and keep moving up that ladder. Freiburg actually would have been a great fit for his high octane style. If clubs like these aren't offering enough, wait for a better spot. Maybe he could have a big surge in the playoffs.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Yea. Absolutely no way a proven player at mls level (and his potential) goes to a B Team, for the price it would cost to buy him.

7. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be terrible. Happy to see him in the Colorado lineup tonight and not headed to a B Team in Portugal. That isn't even a step up... it is a step down. I feel like he has more left to prove at the MLS level anyways. If he isn't going to be pushing for top 5 league Euro playing time then just stay put and play well enough to bring up your value. It isn't like the clock is ticking.... He just turned 20. I would like to see him up his numbers this season w/ the Rapids and make a push for a move this winter. The Freiburg move was different... that would have been a good move. Make them re-think it by playing well this season and join them in the Winter.

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the talk coming from? That’s not the talk here in Denver. I have not heard anything about Benfica B.

UniversalAdvice and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Reddit. r/ussoccer/

That's not to say it's definitive, but they're fairly reliable on aggregating news. We'll see if it happens but Bassett in the lineup for Colorado yesterdays says a deal isn't close yet.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This dude doesn't get mentioned in the MLS flavors thread. Is he good enough for Benfica to want him?

11. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe

12. BrennenZinckgraf

United States
    May 10, 2018
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm frequently on the USsoccer subreddit as well, and this rumor just doesn't make sense to me. Posted by a Benfica fan referencing an Abola article about him transferring to the Benfica B team.

Bassett is currently on ~$120k/year and getting regular game time in a better league than Liga Portugal 2. Average Benfica B team salary seems to be less than $50k/year. I'm sure he/his agent can use these rumors to negotiate a better contract as well.

Just seems like a no brainer to me to stay and keep developing until you could transfer directly to the first team. I'd be shocked if this was a transfer that happens in the next three weeks, but stranger things have occurred.

13. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    The timeline as I understand this is that first Tom Bogert (who contributes to MLS's website) tweeted that "talks remain ongoing with a 'top' Portuguese club" for Bassett.

Then a freelance writer published something on 90min saying that a source has revealed to him that the "top" club Bogert was referring to was Benfica.

Then A Bola (a Portuguese publication) published an article stating that "according to the website 90min.com" Benfica is negotiating the acquisition of Cole Bassett. The article then added that he "could be a reinforcement this summer for the B team."

Everything after Bogert's first tweet reads like conjecture to me (granted very plausible conjecture, but still).

14. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    KDLF is showing right now that getting trained by the a top club known for developing young players might not be a terrible move. Just because a typical MLS team could beat the average team from the league you're going to doesn't mean MLS maximizes development.

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One player can't show that & going to top Portuguese clubs didn't work out for EPB & Parks. Maybe they're not actually that good at development but a vacuum for top young talent in Portugal due to their markets.

Plus, Bassett is older and more accomplished than any of those players were when they were playing for reserve sides. It wasn't an unnatural progression for them. When it comes to Bassett it would spell a regression.

But thankfully, like Kalm said, this could simply have been conjecture that he'd play for B because fans/media there don't rate MLS.

BrennenZinckgraf and ielag repped this.
  16. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    MLS is not a great league, but it's too good for its young rising stars to move to clubs like Benfica on reserve contracts.

I'm really struggling to think of any context where MLS starter ---> reserve player in Europe would be smart from a developmental or financial perspective.

Maybe if you're 17 and Bayern comes calling. Maybe. But Bassett isn't 17 and Benfica isn't Bayern.

17. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Cool. I'm not really a fan of a move to Benfica for him. I think he'd have too hard a time breaking into the side. It's important to be very thoughtful and careful when picking the club when making your first move over to Europe. I thought it had rotting in Benfica B written all over it.

19. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benfica has a great name appeal, but he could struggle for first team minutes while also being too good for Benfica B. Why force that move?

WheezingUSASupport, Winoman and dougtee repped this.
  20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    seems to me like cole dodged a portugeuse trap some other baby nats have fallen squarely into

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Pl@ymaker and dougtee repped this.
  23. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #73 TheFalseNine, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  24. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
  25. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Would be a good move. Feyenood is likely gonna play in Europa League next year but they are I believe only 3 points from 2nd and 5 points from first so just the next 6 months will be intense for Cole

adam tash and Winoman repped this.