Coin flip to the ground = FAIL

Discussion in 'Referee' started by campbed, Mar 16, 2009.

1. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    Props to DadOF6 for the link to FIFA WC2010 assessor policy:
    http://fortheintegrityofsoccer.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/04/picture_2.png

Memo directive #2, It has been quite awhile since a USSF or FIFA memo has made me laugh out loud, but let me get back to being an adult and to the point...

Memo directive #3, proof positive in writing that FIFA and USSF have advice/directive "fashion" every year. This one is even ABOUT fashion!

Memo directive #6, I modified my coin flip procedure last year based on a thread on this board to NOT let the coin hit the ground. Much more dignified for the referee team.

I also have modified my youth tournament "flip" procedure to having visiting team pick which closed hand I'm showing them I have my whistle in. Fast, simple, never a complaint, let's play. (I also use two whistles Fox40+Tornado joined with the key rings)

Opinions?

2. refmedic

refmedic Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Dr. Evans' memo was satire. He was attempting to show how absurd some of the things that assessors and USSF are telling referees can be. If an assssor fails me because my coin hit the ground, or because my whistle doesn't match my shirt, then know where to stick the rest of his debrief.

3. d|hogan

d|hogan New Member

Mar 11, 2009
    San Diego
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Definitely agree with the modification to not allow the coin to fall to the ground. I never liked that, and frankly, never did it! It's not, as you said, dignified to bend over to pick up the coin, so catching it allows you to maintain your composure. Cheers!

Also agree with refmedic though. Some assessors are a bit nuts...

4. ColumbusSoccerRef

ColumbusSoccerRef New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Considering some of the undignified things I see many referees do, I think picking up a coin off the ground is totally small potatoes.

-- CSR

5. o5iiawah

o5iiawah Member

Oct 31, 2008
    LOL, it suggests that the image of mr. Blatter and Warner should not be "dragged through the mud"

6. Wreave

Wreave Member

May 4, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    That's really funny.

For those who really think that letting the coin flip hit the ground is bad form, I'd suggest that its placement in this obviously satirical memo shows how important such an issue really is...

7. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I never try to catch the coin when I'm wearing gloves. I'd rather let it hit the ground and bend over to retrieve it when all have dispersed than drop the damned thing and look like an ass. In fact, I often ask the visiting team to call it BEFORE the toss, then hand the coin to the home team captain to flip.

And then ask him or her to pick it up for me....

If it's an out-of-state team, in a younger age bracket, I'll normally use a TN coin and let them keep it.

8. refmedic

refmedic Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Exactly!! On the other hand, if the only thing an assessor can tell you is about your coin hitting the ground, then you must have done an otherwise perfect job!! For those who don't want to bend over in front of the players, relax, and try a different tactic. I let the coin hit the ground, but I don't bend over and pick it up in front of the players. I flip it, we all look, and then I leave the coin on the ground and step on it. Once sides are chosen and the players are returning to their benches, then I pick up the coin.

Dr. Evans likes to point out the stupider side of referee administrators. Every once in a while he has a really great one like that. Undoubtedly, someone with no sense of humor gets upset about what he wrote and he has to come back and tell those who don't get it that's it's satirical. I anxiously awat his next "FIFA memo"!

9. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I know its satire and all, I mean why else would you start with text along the lines of "trials by USSF have convinced FIFA" :rolleyes:

I do however feel someone embarrassed to have known and worked with refs who seem to believe some of those.

- don't ever touch the ball
    - don't enforce laws until asked (FRD anyone, the beliefe that 10 has to be asked for)
    - don't talk to players

oooyyyy

On the plus side, geez Campbed, I thought you where giving us a horror story about bombing an assessment last week! I was going to ask who the assessor was!

See ya Sunday, we get to spend the afternoon together!!

10. boylanj64

boylanj64 Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. d|hogan

d|hogan New Member

Mar 11, 2009
    San Diego
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Don't take my response out of context - the rest of the advice sounds absurd. But as for the coin flip, I prefer not to bend over to pick it up, so I don't let it drop. I don't care what others do, and yes, there are much more embarrassing/ undignified things that are done by referees. The other points in that memo are pretty funny though!

12. flyfishhi

flyfishhi Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Honolulu
    How hard is it to catch a coin?

OK, I'm lucky enough to referee where it's warm so I don't need gloves. If I had to wear gloves I probably would let it drop - or I'd take my gloves off for the 2 minutes needed.

Not too athletic of us referees if we can't toss a coin and catch it? Kind of sends a bit of mixed signal to the players, although I doubt they are thinking that. Yet the worry over bending over to pick up a coin and how it looks is hilarious. Any other things you worry about that probably don't have much affect on your performance?

13. constructor

constructor Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Out in the sticks
    I think I've solved the coin drop issue by not using monetary coins, ever. It's easy to drop a dime or quarter if your hands are cold. I use a fairly large, commemorative type of coin, about the size of a Liberty silver dollar. Never dropped that small manhole cover.

14. boylanj64

boylanj64 Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Letting the coin hit the ground can be a problem for another reason though - I've had more than one occassion where a few blades of grass kept a coin up straight. Having to do a second flip is rather embarrassing.

15. ColumbusSoccerRef

ColumbusSoccerRef New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    I always let my coin fall to the ground and tell the captains I will do so before tossing the coin. Like Constructor, I use a heavier coin. In my case, I use an Army unit coin (6 yrs as an Army officer). I don't know that I've ever had a problem with it ending up upright in the grass.

-- CSR

16. whistleblowerusa

whistleblowerusa BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    Come on now... So what if the coin gets stuck and you need to do it again. It is not an embarrassment. I always have let the coin drop and yes once in a while it gets stuck in the mud and we get a little chuckle and I pick it up and do it again.
    We have so many things to be concerned with why even care to worry about the toss? Bend over and pick it up after the captains have left. Over 5000 games and not one bump or comment about bending over.

17. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any time I've flipped a quarter or a smaller coin, it has landed on the edge. Therefore, I now catch quarters or smaller coins. Larger coins, such as flipping coins, I let fall to ground. I bend from the knees, so I don't stick my butt up in the air. No big deal either way,

18. boylanj64

boylanj64 Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry, I'm not afraid of flipping twice. Does me good to get the embarrassing part over early :)

19. intechpc

intechpc Member

Sep 22, 2005
    West Bend, WI
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my method as well. I've always looked at it like this, allowing it to go to the ground and then waiting for the captains to disperse before picking it up is a lot more dignified than trying to catch it and fumbling it aroudn and having it fall to the ground. Now not only do you have to bend over and pick it up with the players there but you look like an arse for dropping it and having to conduct the toss again.

20. Wreave

Wreave Member

May 4, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Those of you still defending letting the coin fall to the ground obviously don't understand the criticality of this important issue. You're probably the same "referees" who don't color-coordinate their whistles or call fouls without getting player input.

21. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    And don't forget to add walk out together in step, left right left.

22. flyfishhi

flyfishhi Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Honolulu
    There are referees out there who DON'T color coordinate their whistles?!?!? OMG, the horror! :D

23. rippingood

rippingood Member

Feb 13, 2004
    LosAngeles
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    speaking of color coordination - A buddy of mine has a pair of whistles on a lanyard; one yellow and one red. As an AR for him on more than one occasion, I have had some players convinced that there will be trouble if he has to blow the red whistle...

24. hefftheref

hefftheref Member

May 24, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey! i match my whistles to my jersey! :p

I think this is a minute issue, but anything that adds professionalism i think should be done, especially because it is so simple.

25. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    Dropping a coin, catching a coin, matching the whistle to the uniform color?
    That is not being professional... This whole thread was very silly.
    Focus on the big stuff.