Coaching

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by kool-aide, May 17, 2010.

1. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the update and more importantly THANKS FOR WEBCASTING YOUR HOME GAMES!:D

2. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Morse Code for Marcia McDermott:D

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. And I was too lazy to decode it.

4. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There should have been a couple of other ... --- ... distress codes sent out by various parties in the WPS family in the last week or so.

I'm trying to remember whether SOS means "Save our Ship" or "Save our Souls"?

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just for fun, let me guess as to who maybe assisting Marcia in getting the team prepared for this weekend:

Janet Rayfield- Assistant
    Leisha Alcia- Goalkeeper Coach
    And maybe Erin Chastain

6. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well here is one person per CRS Twitter -

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That looks like Katie Chapman's son.

8. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that makes sense. Haha my bad, but anyways.. anyone know who that is? Doesnt look like Marcia.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's what the @chicagoredstars twitter says w/ the link to the pic

I think she might look like one of the names MRAD12 listed earlier. But as I've never seen her in person, I can only compare to google images...so I'm probably very wrong...

10. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    CRS OWNERS :Marcia has run the team this week. She has had a strong cadre of colleagues in to assist and the team has responded very well----

What does that mean? Who is in training the team? I cannot believe the arrogance of this professional organization. Can you imagine the Bulls - Cubs- Soxs not talking about what is going on.

So its Simple, Who is training the team with Marcia? Who is coaching the game?

11. weipenguigumbi

weipenguigumbi New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Relax soccerbs, there is a lot of behind the scenes bs that goes on that we don't know about. And CRS has historically liked to be 100% when giving information out. Plus I have an inside track, I am totally gonna have this information by early next week ish. I'll let you know.

Ola S:

.--- .----. . ... .--. ? .-. . / --.- ..- . / ...- --- ..- ... / --- -... - . -. ..- / -- --- -. / ... .. --. -. .- .-.. / -.. . / ..-. ..- -- ? . --..-- / -.. ? ... --- .-.. ? / .--- . / -. . / .--. --- ..- ...- .- .. ... / .--. .- ... / ..-. .- .. .-. . --..-- / -.. .----. ..- -. / -.-. -.-- -.-. .-.. --- -- --- - . ..- .-. / . -. / .--. .- -. -. . .-.-.- / -.. .. - . ... -....- -- --- .. / ...- .. .- / - .-- .. - - . .-. / . -. / .- -. --. .-.. .- .. ... .-.-.- / ? -.- .- -.- .- ? / .--. --- ..- .-. / -... .- .-. -.-. . .-.. .-.. --- ... / .--- --- .-. --. . .-.-.- / .-..-. .--. .- - --- .-..-. / .--. --- ..- .-. / .-.. . ... / .- ..- - .-. . ... .-.-.- / .-..-. .--- --- .-. --. . .-..-. / -.-. .- .-. / .--- . / -. . / .--. . ..- -..- / .--. .- ... / -.. .. .-. . .-.-.- / .-..-. -... .- .-. -.-. . .-.. .-.. --- ... / -.-. .- .-. / .--- . / -. . / ... .- .. ... / .--. .- ... / . -. -.-. --- .-. . .-.-.-

--. --- / -.-. .-. ... ?

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Now, whatever happened to my Little Orphan Annie decoder?;)

13. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just find your Boy Scout Handbook. It's all in there.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chill out. If you'd looked at the twitterpic and used your brain you would have been able to see who else was involved in coaching--and not just Chapman's son.

15. weipenguigumbi

weipenguigumbi New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Should have dug it up MRAD, it was the strategy for tonight's win. ;)

It needs some tweeks, but Marcia and the team gave a good effort, maybe an even better effort than I did... but I like to think I helped a lot.

I'm still working on trying to figure out who the new coach is, but my codes have gotten a bit too long winded to be effective, but I'll repeat the last sentiment:

--. --- / -.-. .-. ... ?
    Go CRS!

I'm thinking I'll crack into who's the new coach by next week some time, I'll let you know.

Thanks S.

16. radioam

radioam New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soccerbs: bulls/cubs/soxs (is that double-multiple sox? like socks's?) have been around a very long time. WPS is clearly still working through their early years, and since you keep up with the news, i can imagine you understand that there's a few things happening right now not only with the red stars, but clearly around the league as well. Red Stars have always seemed pretty good about getting news out, so I'm guessing they are just working through all these puzzle pieces right now.
    Marcia McDermott is coaching. Janet Rayfield was on the bench last night, as seen at the game (and i'm guessing that's her in the twitpic?), so was the Red Stars original goalkeeper coach, Nathan Kipp.

I'm going to use my powers of deduction to assume that is who is training the team, until they make an official notice.

Red Stars are fortunate to have a gm with pro coaching background that can take over these duties while they look for a permanent solution.

other than that i'm just glad the Red Stars got a win! formiga could be coaching for all i care! :)

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw this little tidbit...

18. radioam

radioam New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well that's sure an interesting development. but not as a coach? he was a WPS gm. but it would seem odd to leave Pali right as their season is kicking off.

19. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is an interesting tidbit... As good a job as I think he did as GM for the Sol, I'm not sure if this entirely makes sense here. Even as coach in the W-League, a lot of that was about recruiting and talent-spotting, like he did for the Sol. I'm sure he's also a good teacher, developer of talent.

But for a coach in the WPS, where you're working with the talent given you, and that talent is pretty evenly matched against all the other talent in the league, you'd think the other aspects of coaching become more paramount to a time that's trying to see immediate improvement - game tactics, scouting the other team and preparing for your opponents. Not saying he can't do it, but that isn't something he's had to excel at in order to excel in his previous stints.

On other hand, long-term, it would benefit ANY team in WPS to have him on hand to help assess the talent of players. He is a proven success in that regard.

20. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My $0.02 is that there was a difference in the team last night from the moment they came out of the tunnel. However, these impressions may not be indicative of the coaching change, but due instead to the remaining presence on the field of some AC Milan players. (So take them for what they are worth!)

1. The warm-up seemed more regimented, i.e. there wasn't as much juggling/passing/relaxed on-field player interaction as I've noticed previously. As you would expect from a different coaching staff, the warm-up drills were changed. Not just other drills but also the location away from the crowd instead of in the corner near the crowd. (But like I said, this could have been because Ronaldinho signed autographs for quite a while. The guy sitting next to me was Brazilian and he was over the moon because he got his Brazil jersey signed. "A little Portuguese helps!")

2. I didn't realize until about game time that there were side line advertising boards on the field. The players usually slap high fives with the kids in the front rows when they run past them and that little bit of relationship was missed, I think. Again, not anything to do with the Red Stars.

3. After they scored the goal there was almost a collective sigh. The players became much more relaxed and aggressive--almost as if they were wary of making the one big mistake that might cost them the game. Noguiera coming in the game also made a statement that they weren't going to just sit back and play defense. The last 25-30 minutes was the best soccer they played this season--except for that 10-15 minutes against NJ early in the season.

I wish Emma well. She was very nice to the fans, an all around asset to the community, and I really like the style of soccer she teaches. I guess I can see both sides of the situation, she's not the one who was missing wide open nets, hitting cross-bars, and raising/not raising offsides flags. But, this is also a business. If the workers aren't getting the job done and the boss can't figure out how to make them do it, the boss has to go.

21. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Just be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to this day my mom still keeps ovaltine in her cabinet.....

23. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I bet Naimo helps with Marcia's GM duties and she takes the coaching position until the end of the season.

24. radioam

radioam New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's kind of what i was eluding to in my reply as well. i think this could be a possibility. but would he stay with Pali and work via-satellite or actually go to chicago full-time?

all tbd soon i suppose. i'm guessing we have alot of news coming this week.

25. mona

mona Member

Oct 21, 2003