Coaching

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by kool-aide, May 17, 2010.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the press release neglected to mention who would be running things while Marcia et al searched for a new coach. And what happens to the assistants?

As for Hayes, with a record as bad as it has been for CRS and ownership not happy, it was only a matter of time.

2. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something had to be done and it's usually the coach who goes first.

3. SBALL

SBALL Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlie knows how to win.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    WOW!

I did not expect this at this time. I thought maybe they would wait and see how the next couple of home games went. I was at the Red Stars/Red Eleven exhibition game on Friday. Talked to Marcia. Talked to a couple owners. Even some parents and FO folks. There was no indication or even a tiny hint from anyone that this may or would happen.

Marcia was her usual self, talking to fans joking around while watching the game. I would have never guessed this.

I would assume Marcia waited until all the players returned back to Chicago to tell them face to face first.

We as fans must trust Marcia McDermott's judgement. She knows what she's doing. I liked Emma personally, but this organization deserves more then what we were getting.

I'm sure McDermott will weigh her options and chose the next coach wisely. I can see her taking over the team for next weekend game with FCGP until a new coach is brought in.

Nothing personal to Emma's assistants, but I would chose a fresh face to lead the team. This person may opt to keep Denise and Nathan. That's fine. But I would go with a new face and a different philosophy as Head Coach.

Like I said before, IMO:

Bret Hall
    April Heinrichs
    Abner Rodgers
    Charlie Naimo

Would all be good candidates for the job.

The next few days will be interesting in Bridgeview, IL

5. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured she had one game left to show at least some improvement.

I feel bad for her because she really seemed to care and give it her all but really, in the end she was tripped up by her errors. Even if we'd won the SBFC game that was taken away from us by the worst officiating in the history of womens soccer, we'd still be only 2-3-1 and while we're not great, we're still a better team than that.

6. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Wow. I also didn't expect this so soon. But, obviously, we've got to take this in stride; hopefully we'll get our stuff together this weekend against FCGP. These next weeks will be VERY interesting.

7. From the Red Stars' press release;
    Since the first month of the inagural season the Red Stars' record under Emma Hayes was 4-14-4. As much as everyone likes her personally, it was time for a change. You can't fire the players, but I'm sure the new coach/technical director will shake the tree up some. I think Emma's biggest flaw was her loyalty to players who just weren't getting the job done, borne out by the record. I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing her all the best in her future endeavors.

8. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't fire ALL the players AT THE SAME TIME, but you can cut out the deadwood. If I was Marcia, Cristiane would have a month to get it in gear or she would be gone. Same for Formiga.

9. weipenguigumbi

weipenguigumbi New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    From arnimiii's twitter (who I believe is part owner of CRS)

"Sooo many good things brewing, news soon. And, make no mistake once part of the CRS family ALWAYS part of the CRS family, miss you E D N"

So after virtual silence from McDermott, Wilt, and arnimiii's twitter over the last day or so this seems to be the first mention of anything. Emma, Denise, and Nate out and they are closing in on a new coach. I'm assumming Marcia will take over coaching duties for this weekend, but news soon may mean that they will have a coach by next week. Only a guess though.

10. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nice find. We can only hope this will all help turn this team around.

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was wondering what E D N on his twitter meant.
    Emma, Denise, Nate

Anyway, IMO, this had to be done. I just though she may have another week or so. But maybe it was good that this is done before an important 2 games left on this homesatnd. As I've said in previous posts. I had always wished this coaching staff success, but I just didn't see any rediredtion from them. It would have been the same ole, same ole for the rest of the season.

As for Emma staying loyal to some players. I look at it as playing mother hen to some of them.

12. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About the Emma being loyal to players thing and/or firing players. Look at the roster this season vs the roster last season. There were a number of significant (and possibly insignificant) changes. Were they the correct changes and/or were they changes for the good are different questions. But Hayes did fire/not re-hire players in the offseason.

13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Who is running practices for the CRS right now? Are Denise and Nate still there?

This can't be confidential information.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Marcia? Who knows but yes, the lack of info on that is silly.

I take that twitter message to mean that all three coaches got the axe. The lack of naming an "interim" makes no sense to me if CRS didn't already have a really good line on the next coach and knew they'd be available immediately. Still, I was really surprised they didn't name someone as the interim.

15. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I just posted about this in the Athletica forum, but if the rumor about Barcellos going to Chicago is true, this might be the reason they haven't made an announcement yet. It could be a load of BS, or Barcellos could be there already running practice. We'll see.

16. weipenguigumbi

Dec 4, 2007
    Well according to arnim I'm only part right, but still a legendary code breaker. At least that's how I interpreted his latest tweet:

"no really today!? today my phone chooses to die? but how will i get not-so-subtle coded messages to weipenguigumbi... btw, only part right"

Thanks S, but could you be a little more specific on how I'm wrong. My vanity is at stake here. Maybe you could send out navajo coded messages via carrier pigeon to Iowa and I could decipher them for the CRS Nation's faithful on BS. It would give us a little more to wildly speculate on for the next couple of days. Just a suggestion.

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I do understand the reasoning for some things to stay under wraps untill the development actually comes to fruition.

However, there are real fans here on BS. We want to know some things.
    Let's say for instance why not announce who is running practice for the CRS while a coaching search is going on? What's the big secret in that?

Why not say if assistants are still around and it will be up to the new coach whether they keep them or not?

Why not give some sort of hint of a short list of candidates for the coaching job?

If this was the Cubs, or the Sox or the Bulls, Bears or Blackhawks, trust me more news would be found out because sports media would make it so. More inside scoops would be known publicly because some reporter woul make it his/her business to find out.

In the WPS case, we are at the mercy of the front office to release news or what the team(s) want us to know.

Or trying to decode Twitter messages for their true meanings.

18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Article in AmericanSoccerNews.net:

http://wps.american-soccer-news.com/?p=378

Another article in bleacher report:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ars-to-head-coach-na-na-na-hey-hayes-good-bye

19. carolinablue_cchs07

carolinablue_cchs07 New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dominating a game isn't worth crap unless you're scoring and winning-- ask Atlanta. I don't care how much the Red Stars run their opponents ragged, until the ball is ending up in opponents' nets, they are absolutely underachieving. I don't know if it's Emma's fault or the players', or a combination thereof-- but something had to give. Maybe this will spark them. Hopefully.

20. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Kool aide where do you get the fact that Emma signs or releases players?
    I would think this is Marcias job as the General Manager. Thats why I posted the basic questions about if Emma was ever the right choice and if Marcia should share the blame of this team not winning. Marcia was hired before Emma I would think..and I would also think Emma was Marcias hire.

I like to hear that Marcia should be the interim coach. How silly is that???
    She is the GM and needs to worry about keeping the team alive! Maybe she shouldn't be a GM and also the President of the NSCAA. I would think 100% of her time should be towards her team. Her team in a league that has lost one team and a second may be gone very soon. Don't fool yourselves someone like Marcia had to be very close to Emma and talking about the game!

21. weipenguigumbi

Dec 4, 2007
    Hey S: .--- . / .-.. .----. .- .. / -.. .. - / .--. .. --. . --- -. ... / . - / ... .--. ? -.-. .. ..-. .. --.- ..- . ... .-.-.- / .- ..- .--- --- ..- .-. -.. .----. .... ..- .. ..--.. / .--- --- .-. --. . ..--.. / . ... - -....- -.-. . / -- .- / - .-. .- -.. ..- -.-. - .. --- -. / --. --- --- --. .-.. . / -. . / ...- .- / .--. .- ... ..--..

(Moderator Please don't delete I'm trying to stealthfully gain access to the CRS war room inorder to get the name of the new coach 5 minutes before they send out the press release. Thanks and sorry for any inconvience.)

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So no word on who's going to lead us into battle tomorrow?
    Is it going to be Marcia?

I'd like to hear something come out of the CRS FO.

23. CRS Owners

CRS Owners Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Mrad et al,

Sorry for the silence. It is not for lack of wanting to say something rather too many things going on simultaneously to give the answer that you want. Re: coaching Saturday game, our expectation is that we'll have the press release covering several points (but not a final coaching decision) today.

Marcia has run the team this week. She has had a strong cadre of colleagues in to assist and the team has responded very well. We like our prior coaches and hope to retain those friendships, but as many of you also noted we felt we needed a change.

Our commitment is not just to play the games, we intend to win. We will serve our fans to the best of our collective ability. Even in a week, changes will be apparent on Saturday. Please understand with the Saint Louis situation and our coaching change, plus some rescheduling etc. that its a bit like playing Pachinko... we may think we see the clear path for the ball, but each peg changes its direction and there are many possible outcomes to our coaching situation.

But, CRS isn't going anywhere. We intend to be in the playoffs, we intend to continue to earn your trust and thrill you as fans. Really, brace yourself its gonna be a great ride.

CRS Owners

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CRS Owners, Thank you for posting. Fans are varying degrees of angry, depressed, unhappy, sad, p!ssed, etc. Solid information will help, even if it is bad news.

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thank you for responding, CRS Owners. We are looking forward to tomorrow's game. Many of us on these boards are dedicated and engaged fans of this league and speaking for myself and I think a few others here, a dedicated Red Stars fan.

I am sad for what has happened to St. Louis Athletica, for it's players and also for the dedicated fans that have embraced that team with their heart and soul. I personaly have met several of their supporters and have become friends with them because we have something in common, the support for the WPS, soccer the beautiful game and support for women's professional soccer.

Thus, I personally am happy and greatful to be a season ticketholder of an organization such as the Chicago Red Stars that is second to none.

Looking forward to more news in the coming days, week.