Coaching Philosophies and the Gregg Berhalter System

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Mar 14, 2019.

1. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh..... the "Internet Protocol" was adopted for ARPANET in 1983. ARPANET was not the sole network under development then. It took through the early 1990's to coalesce these, and it was only then that the formal term "THE INTERNET" was adopted.
    I was not confusing it with the World Wide Web.

It's like thinking that when Spain was officially a nation already before the unification of Castile and Aragon.

Yes, I've spent too long in the Iberian Peninsula.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We called it "the Internet" in the 80s already. I was there, using it, so don't tell me it didn't happen. When a BBS (do you remember those?) got its email service (usually provided by FidoNET) connected to the academic network, they already announced "now we're connected to the Internet" back in 1985. And that made things much better, since you didn't have to wait for the one call on Sunday to send all the email accumulated during the week, to save on long-distance fees.

I know history books say "the ARPANET officially adopted the TCP/IP protocol in 1983" but they don't mean TCP/IP was not being used since before. It had entered common use since the end of 1977, specially between academic nodes, that didn't require any extra security.

When you sent an email or started a Unix chat with someone in another institution, you already were using TCP/IP in 1978/79. Usenet, that started in 1979, also sent its packets through TCP/IP. Finger, the old program you used on campus to find the location of someone, also became fully TCP/IP compliant by 1978, so you could find someone's office in another university.

TCP/IP had been around since 1972, and IP already contained the word "Internet" --the word already appears in early Usenet posts, around 1980. That it was adopted "officially" only means that other transfer protocols were deemed less secure by then and banned from use, not that only then it started being used.

deejay repped this.
  3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    2019 was an elaborate experiment, imo. To be honest, it is hard to tell if GB thinks it was a failure or not. We might not know until September. The Olympics distraction is making it very hard to tell.

The team plays best when they have 3+ weeks to train for a game. Does that mean GB is good at coaching or is it just mean he is not capable of getting a team to be organized in a regular length FIFA window?

https://chasingacup.com/moneyball-an-explanation-for-2019/

4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    If that was the plan, it was a dumb one. I always assumed it was just speculation of those trying to rationalize Berhalter's poor selections. The result was that we his guys from the January camp all year. Berhalter only gave a real shot to two foreign based players after March. Holmes made the 40 man roster and played his way onto the GC roster, but was ignored all fall after coming back from injury. Morales wasnt good enough for the 40 man roster and was one of very few bright spots vs Mexico only to be sent back to the bench.

A professional attacking player was lost in the attacking third? Apparently Meram cant think for himself. I think the focus in this country should be teaching players to solve problems than follow direction.

That system hasnt resulted in strong performances though. Berhalter also seemed to stray from against better competition or when games mattered. He was much more pragmatic against the likes of Chile and Canada. He spent the year teaching a complicated system to a bunch of players who wont be with the team in a year or two. Sounds like a waste of time to me. I seriously think I could pick a team, let them play however they want, and they would dominate Berhalters selection in the "system".

Namdynamo, Patrick167 and mette72 repped this.
  5. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    What did you see Morales do against Mexico that made you feel he was a bright spot?

The Meram story wasn’t a defense of Meram as a player. I personally have always loved soccer over any sport because it was largely unscripted and left to the player to figure things out. I was just giving you an inside scoop to what is different about GB as opposed to others. I find it fascinating that Kries is the U23 coach under him.

You will not find me defending GBs roster picks. This idea of treating a national team like a club team is an interesting experiment to me. I will wait on the fence to see how it goes and if it’s going bad... I hope they pivot in time.

6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    It was partly because many of the US players were poor that lowered the bar to doing the basics. At the simplest level, he wasnt overwhelmed physically and brought a lot of emotion/fight (I dont think you can say that about Trapp). He was strong defensively applying pressure, winning tackles, reading game well, and well positioned. Offensively, he was fine with the speed of play and limited space, made the simple plays, and had good ideas for incisive passes that got cut off. I think all of this translates to being able to play the 8 or regista role.

The problem is that Meram is a product of the American system and I dont find the story surprising at all. We to find or develop players that can figure out the game. I dont necessarily think Berhalter giving that direction at the club level is a bad thing to get results, but it hides that his players cant solve the problems themselves. It is one thing to identify the differences of two MLS coaches, but I would more interested in knowing if there is a successful international coach that does things similarly to Berhalter.

Berhalter's implementation has been so poor that I would be careful about making any conclusions from it. The experiment is flawed based on how he has gone about it and player selection. He is basically running multiple experiments at the same time. Two of them are running it like a club team and a second is throwing out a bunch of MLS players who are below the level.

7. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    What did you see Morales do against Mexico that made you feel he was a bright spot?

The Meram story wasn’t a defense of Meram as a player. I personally have always loved soccer over any sport because it was largely unscripted and left to the player to figure things out. I was just giving you an inside scoop to what is different about GB as opposed to others. I find it fascinating that Kries is the U23 coach under him.

You will not find me defending GBs roster picks. This idea of treating a national team like a club team is an interesting experiment to me. I will wait on the fence to see how it goes and if it’s going
    I guess I’ve just expected more from Morales and maybe that has tainted my view of his performances so far. All I can think of is how he got clowned (basically fell over) during the breakaway leading to Mexico’s counterattacking goal. He seems to be first off the bench now as a midfielder so hopefully with more time he shows better.

I don’t know if Meram is a typical US developed player. I know from experience that there are plenty of coaches teaching players through basic principles of play. That leaves the player to figure things out. I’ve also seen coaches use short cuts like drawing up plays to get wins. I think GB is expecting his players to read cues and make appropriate decisions. The cues need all players to read the same thing so they are all on the same page. Unfortunately I think many of his players don’t see what he sees.

8. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actively read through BS forums for years before I decided I'd learned enough from others to open an account and post something. I officially joined in 2007, when I guess I'd decided I had something to add, but probably started reading in 2004. For shits and giggles, I searched for my first ever post, back in 2007. Kind of crazy to look at it, 13 years hence. Here it is:

Interesting how wrong I was about Dempsey! I was right about a 20-year old Bradley. Davy Arnaud, on the other hand...did he play more than 5 minutes?

TOAzer, gogorath and sXeWesley repped this.
  9. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No wonder you love Klinsmann so much!

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think a question that will come up us how fit are the Berhalter Bros. when it comes to managing players like Pulisic, Reyna, Dest, Sargent, Morris, Adams.

Suppose they don't fit the system?

Then there's the question of when to call them up. What was the point of calling Morris into Jan camp? I remember Besler complaining that Klinsmann's fitness program in Jan camp was conflicting with Besler's personal routine used in pre-season to make him fit for a season of MLS.

Berhalter calls up Sarge for GC then cuts him; then when Sarge is vying for a starting spot at Bremen Berhalter calls him up for LON but apparently doesn't need him for Canada and then plays him v.Cuba at which point Sarge pulls a hammy and is on the injury list for Bremen for the last 4 games of the year.

He starts Pulisic @ Canada then pulls him early in the second half as if it is Pulisic's fault that Berhalter is getting beat by Canada for the first time in forever.

He calls up Dest and puts him at left back to reserve the rb spot for his fave Cannon to smooth his way to Europe; then nobody in Europe seem interested in Cannon.

He calls up Adams and puts him at rb. Adams is just getting going at Leipzig and Berhalter calls him into March friendlies, sends him home after one game, and Adams pops up injured and doesn't play again for the rest of the year.

Which leaves us with Reyna. Berhalter would probably defend himself by protesting that he hasn't had the chance to screw up Reyna yet.

Namdynamo, Patrick167 and TOAzer repped this.
  11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Wow, there's some much bullcrap here, it's hard to wade through. Anything else you'd like to blame on Berhalter for no reason?

Morris didn't attend either January camp. He was hurt for the first one, and came as an attendee to listen, and he was not at this camp to do exactly as you said. Which I'm sure was the actual conversation with Berhalter.

Sargent. Berhalter also played him in both of the friendlies immediately after the Gold Cup. It's not a shocker to see you omitted them for no reason. I'm also not sure why the injury is even listed here -- are you claiming that his usage in the Cuba game caused that? That didn't happen until December.

I wouldn't have pulled Pulisic off, but he sucked that game.

Do you have ANY backup for that motivation for playing Dest at LB? Any at all? Because maybe, just maybe it's because our LBs suck?

Adams went home after one game at Leipzig's request. He also didn't hurt himself there -- and it was Leipzig who also pushed him to come back early. How is that Berhalter's fault.

People wonder why I seem so pro-Berhalter. It's because of ridiculous, baseless shit like this. Criticize all you want, but I'm going to call people out when they make shit up. And this board has more people who just make shit up than even some political boards.

12. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is one of the high virtues of the boards on Big Soccer that it gives such ample room for the disciplined, tightly argued, evidence laden, thoughtful and civilized posts of such as Gogorath.

13. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    In assuming positive intent- I think there is a US soccer fan culture thing going on. Pessimism about the coach, Us soccer future, and ability to ever compete is rampant. Right now - US Soccer fans should be more excited and optimistic than ever:
    • The volume and high level talent coming through is fantastic
    • US Soccer organization is finally going through a reorg so that soccer people are making the decisions with accountability lines across different domains
    • Domestic league is growing, playing youth, and becoming more of a farm league
    • So many US players are starting to break through at big clubs and accolades internationally - recognized for their talent and not their "work ethic"
    • MLS academies are producing and finding talent all across the US - the only real answer anyone has to fixing the pay to play system
    • The US is designing and implementing a cohesive style of play and the youth look really good in it.

You can find reasons to discount every one of those and people are. You can find other things to worry about and be pessimistic about but if you're not excited about US soccer future now- you'll never be. The goalposts will be moved and you're always going to be pessimistic.

My suggestion - get excited. Enjoy that and save the pessimism for another day.

Pegasus and tomásbernal repped this.
  14. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    If only half of that is true, it is a problem.

Some things we can actually know though is that Berhalter has not gotten the best performances from his best players. He has moved Pulisic around a lot. Wing, 10, RM, withdrawn forward. But in the big games if CP does anything, it is him beating a lot of guys on his own. Against Mexico and Canada, he mostly got the ball in our own third, with zero support and had to try and dribble the length of the field 1 v 5.

He seems to have wanted Adams at RB until September. Luckily for him, Adams was hurt most of the year.

He has not found minutes for Holmes or A. Robinson in a calendar where we played a lot of crap teams. Weah is another one. All three were or will be sold to a Top 4 league team for $10+ MM. But Roldan, Lovitz, and Baird got multiple caps and hundreds of minutes.

He routinely plays McKennie as a 10 and McKennie looks awful at it. In a game where McKennie looked good as an 8, he moved him to the 10 for the last 20 minutes and he looked awful. He consistently tried McKennie as a 10 all year and never realized it is not working. Mostly to get Roldan on the field, who was generally awful and ineffective.

Rather than work, "with the striker of the future" for 3 weeks, he cuts Sargent from the GC and takes Lewis. Lewis doesn't play another minute for the USMNT in 2019 and is beat out in January by a U19 Bundesliga player.

The personnel decisions in 2019 were atrocious, even if you buy the theory that it was an attempt at competitive advantage using Camp Cupcake. Pulisic, McKennie, Sargent, and Adams were central to plans when Gregg was hired and they have not looked good or comfortable with him for large stretches.

Excellency, bsky22 and Namdynamo repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's realism about the coach, considering Berhalter's record even in MLS is nothing extraordinary.

Add a dose of "anything in Europe" and you got the ideal combo to get people disinterested in the program.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I stand by everything I said and would only add that had I said anything less it would have been attacked for being thin gruel. I had that in mind when I went down the list which included only those things for which there was basis and excluded stuff like blaming Berhalter for a non-event like 'he didn't call up Holmes" . You can disagree if you like but don't call my post baseless and look instead at all your deflections. E.g., you disagree that Berhalter sent Adams home after one game.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Like a consultant you concentrate on what can be done and a good mental attitude and unlike the line manager you will not be around to pick up the pieces when it all goes wrong.

Pragidealist repped this.
  18. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No pro-Berhalter here for sure but I have patience given the wealth of young talent raising their games. Berhalter is saying things that make you believe he's learned some things he's gotten wrong, etc. He sees the youth and says it out loud so backing off from that with more Roldan and Lovitz will hang him.

Optimism is a good idea if tempered with a good dose of patience.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If Morris was not called in to Jan camp, why am I reading this?
    CHICAGO (AP) -- Forward Jordan Morris and midfielder Cristian Roldan will miss the United States' exhibition against Costa Rica on Feb. 1 and will report to preseason with Major League Soccer's Seattle Sounders.

The U.S. Soccer Federation also said Saturday that goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski will report to the San Jose Earthquakes.

Twenty-two players remain with the U.S. ahead of the match at Carson, California, including 12 who have never played for the national team.

https://sports.yahoo.com/morris-roldan-miss-us-exhibition-against-costa-rica-223110026--mls.html

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Above I used the language "at which point" Sarge pulls a hammy which was an abbreviation for "Berhalter calls him up for a useless game and putsSarge thru workouts after and before T/A flights and when Sarge returns to Germany he has tightness in his hammy which requires him to stay out 4 games before the winter break, thereby giving Bremen the advantage of adding the winter break to the 4 weeks for a complete relaxsation of the muscle and good rehab going into the second half of the season where they are facing the seriousness of relegation which could harm Josh's career as well as the USMNT by extention therefore why do it to begin with.

I sort of thought BS readers would be knowledgeable to understand all this stuff and the degree of uncertainty involcved and the need to gauge probabilities rather than certainties in management. Certainties are sent down to the clerks.

I can write long explanations for everything I said in each one of my points listed above but don't see why I should respond to an argument which is mere, insubstantial deflection.

21. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Ha! Fair enough

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    One thing that needs to be realized is if you're trying to conform and they don't want you in the club no amount of effort to conform is ever enough unless you become a movie star. If you adopt x as a mimic trait, the fashion will have moved on to y and they will make fun of you for now being x. Kids grasp this. Why don't we.

We are trying to become a version of Spain 2010 which means when we get that down we'll only be decades behind the evolutions from there, while telling ourselves we are caught up.

I am sure the response to what we did before was "effective but crude." The snobs cried in their pillows so we're working on "crude." So the new slap is "they are working on a new way of playing but obviously aren't there yet." Until we are winning trophies they will find a way to dig us no matter what. If they want. So instead of trying to impress people gun for practical tactics and success and quit caring what others think.

I mean do the Europhiles think the teasing will stop if we become prettier but lose in a semi? Everyone gets crap but the big dog.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Maybe Egg is right sticking to MLSers: our guys in Europe are always injured!

What's the point to have them show up for the rare friendly when they are ok, when the chances they'll be injured for the Hex are >50%?

24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is frustrating but luckily there should start to be more and more able replacements as the young ones start maturing into starting roles on teams. I am starting to think that some of the starters may well be those that can stay consistently healthy as they will be able to be counted on and have chemistry over a slightly better player.

25. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #3425 juvechelsea, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    John O'Brien, Aron Johannson, etc. You don't always get to keep using the good ones because they can be injury prone. Even Steffen keeps getting hurt. This is why you don't "gloat" by starting your best player all the time, but rather tuck that away in a pocket and find people 3-4 deep each position. It's like an American thing of late to want to find one good player to rub people's noses in and then stop.*** Personally I'd rather have an XI and a 23 that's good. Act like you are preparing for 4-year marathons or even longer horizons, not to win next week at the expense of the future. And not like the point is selling tickets by having Pulisic and Steffen there.

But yes over time it is a factor, both practical in the sense it can prevent a "Weah" from even getting his chances, but also in the sense that over time durability can matter alongside talent. Zardes and AJ are similar ages. One is in the program and the other isn't. One had a limited set of issues and the other running problems. The durable one is a lesser player. But after a point of operations and limping around things sort themselves.

Side point, speaking of rubbing noses in things, there have been Donovans who used to get every call and Reynas who only got called when the big games arrived. I feel like the Landon Model "won" over the past decade or so. We are obsessed with winning friendlies. We are obsessed with calling our best. But Landon ended up retiring early. Worth considering whether constant callups do the lead players much good. Pulisic and Steffen are who you want when the games count. I don't think we need them for a random friendly every time. I don't think it keeps them healthy. I don't think we even need them for Gold Cup.^^^ I think it's a friendly muscle flex that doesn't help us win qualifiers. I think the focus needs to go back on the endgame -- and the results from the endgame being the test of whether we prepared right. Right now it's what did we do in our last friendly. What can we brag about to the Fed or the media. Not what wins a quali in Mexico.

***I feel like at least some of this links up with the snob obsession with getting players starting at CL clubs. It is not a bad idea, but it does not work in practice well enough to run out a good team. Practical is constantly upgrading the team to chase your best couple dozen, which involves getting hands dirty with who belongs here including decisions among players whose teams and leagues don't make your heart skip a beat.

^^^When this team was at peak we used to routinely leave Reyna types off, and usually did Gold Cup as an experiment. The elite get rest and we work on depth.