Coach Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Jun 2, 2018.

1. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Yeah exactly. Coach recycling is not uncommon. I meant unique in the application of the sport of soccer. Our playoff system is different than other big leagues. Our lack of promo/rel. Our travel schedule. Our CONCACAF tourney. Our Open Cup. The list goes on.

When I say unique, that's what I'm referring too. It's a different animal here in the US.

COMtnGuy and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  2. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a different animal, that's for sure!

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  3. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    It’s funny, we’re talking about the mls being unique and then this shows up in my newsfeed lol:

Crazy to think about it like this when you look at it across Europe

4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think the 4 chartered flight limit is going to get changed very soon.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a perfect negotiating point for the CBA that's happening this offseason. The owners will agree to all or all over X hour chartered flights and the players will agree to something for the owners.

22SteveD, MrPerfectNot and COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alan Koch out as Cincy's head coach......another hit to the Southern Hemisphere.

R

7. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is this "parking lot" of which you speak? That isn't a parking lot. It's Victory Crossing.

SccrDon and pdid10 repped this.
  8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    This just in: Jurgen Klopp could get the 2019 Rapids into the playoffs -- sadly he is unavailable for the foreseeable future.

MrPerfectNot and JasonMa repped this.
  9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Rapids could use Roy Hodgson.

I wonder if Klopp could take MLS. He built out Liverpool a lot like the strengths of his Dortmund teams with tremendous athleticism and scoring in his forwards. It's hard to be that specific in MLS.

A year of a DP and then guys like Badji running his break, after seeing the ball fly into the stands over and over he'd probably get into some really great CO drugs.

Dom. FC repped this.
  10. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    So you mean there is a chance!!!!!

11. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Brad Friedel is available! Sounds like his plan worked as well as Hudson’s.

12. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I saw an article on mlssoccer.com about how they gave up 14 goals in the last 4 or something and were on pace to break the record for goals allowed Orlando set last year.

Get in line! The Revs have allowed 30 in 12, the Rapids have allowed 27 in 10!

13. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Over/under on us letting in 3 or more in the next two matches ...?

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll tell you an interesting name that I am keeping an eye on - Tab Ramos. I think this U20 WC will either spark or cool the interest of MLS clubs. The US roster that came out today is loaded with talent. It's the best pool of prospects the US has ever had at it's disposal. Ramos is under huge pressure to have a deep run in the U20 WC. The Rapids are moving to a younger squad and have their eyes on 2020. I think that's obvious. Ramos has been extremely successful with the younger talent. Can that translate to a higher level? That's the million dollar question. I would not be opposed to the Rapids making a run at Ramos once the U20 WC is completed.

Andy126 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No pro club head coaching experience? Pass.

16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I get that. I would also hesitate without that experience, too. Though Tab's 7 years in charge of the U-20's, IMO, is certainly a more impressive resume than Hudson's WCQ experience in Oceania and Pablo's zero heading coaching experience. However, you can rightfully argue that's why they both failed - they had little to no applicable experience.

Andy126, JasonMa and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  17. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    MrPerfectNot and JasonMa repped this.
  18. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe because he's taking an U-20 team to a World Cup?

Andy126 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    At this rate, Conor will have more wins as a Rapids coach by August than Hudson had in a 1.25 years.

kucsdat, COMtnGuy, Andy126 and 5 others repped this.
  20. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see.... 2 wins in, um, 4 matches? That's 1.5 PPG or above the Bodmer Line.

Still, to make up for the Rapids Annual first 10 week sucking sound as they frantically change starters, style, players, and coach, Casey's going to need about 1.75 PPG to get into playoff contention at 45 points. Stranger things have happened, as we review the Seattle run to their Cup, and the Year of Pablo. I think the key is to fix the sieve defense. Just me. "If they can't break us down, they can't score."

R

Andy126, TheWarmBurger and Centennial repped this.
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people are already suggesting Conor should get the full time job. No. Not yet. But it made me think about at what point will he earn the job. I think he should stay interim the whole season (this assumes we don't have a hire planned in the next month). If at the end of the season he's picked up 28 more points from this point (so 1.33 pts/game the rest of the way) and we aren't embarrassed in the USOC he should get the job. That would show that he can coach at a playoff level in MLS. If he ends up at 24-25 more points I'd put him on the list with other candidates but not just give him the job. If he ends up with another 21-22 points or less it should be "Thank you for stepping in to help the club, we'd like you to stay on as an assistant to the new coach" (or possibly give him the Switchbacks job).

22. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re-assess in the of season. If all goes quite well, it'll get done, if all falls apart, then yes "Thank you, and those Switchbacks!"

Is Sir Alex Ferguson still available?

JasonMa repped this.
  23. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The good news is CC is doing well enough (so far) to show a few things:

• PS has time to find the right coach. The team is doing better, so pressure is not as bad as it could be.
    • CC has shown there is some talent here, a prospective coach can see it isn't as bad as our initial record showed. Certainly enough talent and cap space to mold as they wish. Frankly, it is an unusual situation that is pretty desirable as a new coach.
    • CC may prove himself to be a good choice. PS has time to give CC an on-the-job look. Best scenario for an unproven commidity.
    • Hudson is gone. Just want to say it again to remind us if we lose a few games it isn't as bad as it was under Hudson.

Rod

wormhole and Andy126 repped this.
  24. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. To all.

25. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I think there is more emotion behind the CC as coach bandwagon than thought at this time. This is most likely because he's got a couple of wins this season while his predecessor wasn't able to do so.

Not only has he won, but the Rapid seem to be playing sexy soccer. Putting the Rapids in a 4-2-3-1 has allowed them to play to their strengths especially with getting Lewis and Nicholson in space on the flanks. Also, having Price paired with Acosta (in this last match) as holding mids allows both some freedom in the attack without exposing the back line too much.

It will be interesting to see how he handles the short week with long travel to Philly. This will be a test.

I wouldn't anoint him the new coach just yet. And I'm with JasonMa that if they have a good candidate lined up they should bring him in now. At the STH event at the Pepsi Center back in March I had the chance to speak to Fran Taylor who at some point soon will be in Uruguay and Argentina scouting - primarily #10s. Said all the players he was going to look had been contacted and were thus realistic targets. Made it sound like this summer was a possibility to bring someone in. Thus, having a coach in place to help make decisions would be nice.

Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.