Coach of the Year

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by cantona24, Oct 15, 2003.

1. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    It's past the midway point in the season, and we can start to think about some of the postseason awards. Which coaches have done the best job this year?

Here are two options:

Elmar Bolowich--has an extremely young team sitting at #3 in the nation, with only one loss. While the kids he brought in no doubt had the talent, many questioned how they would mesh together. While there are many who have bashed his ability to produce results with the level of talent that comes to UNC, there is no doubt that this years UNC team has meshed together better than anyone expected

Alan Dawson (ODU)--Currently undefeated and have conceded only 1 goal. While ODU has been a consistent lurking team in the top 25, they now have entrenched themselves in the top five. Dawson has done a great job of building the program up and creating a winning atmosphere.

any more coaches who you think deserve recognition?

2. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Well, you certainly have to put Dan Donigan in the mix.
    I think his SLU team is younger than UNC, if that's a criteria.

I think you also need to recognize Cirovski at Maryland.
    Granted, he has tons of experience and talent, but so what...the proof is in the pudding and if Maryland wins the ACC and they have a strong postseason run, he needs consideration.

As far as west coast guys, Fitzgerald is the leading candidate, but what about Taylor at Oregon State? He's done a terrific job, bringing his team together after tragically losing two players.

It's way too early, because postseason success has to be counted heavily I believe.

cantona, I know you're thumping for your boy Elmar the Ego, but unless he wins it all, (the college cup, not just the ACC) let's not get carried away with his coaching ability. One thing I will say about Elmar, he's smart enough to surround himself with very good assistant coaches.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If we're basing it on this point in the season, how can it not be Alan Dawson of Old Dominion?

Almost all the other candidates mentioned - Sash, Elmar, Donigan, Fitzgerald - were supposed to be good or very good.

Old Dominion was barely ranked in the preseason and here they are halfway through October still unbeaten and only allowed one goal.

Dawson has gotten his team to exceed expecations and compete with the elite, at least so far.

If he keeps them in the Top Ten through the regular season and has a decent run in the NCAAs, he ought to get the vote.

BTW, Taylor from OSU is certainly the sentimental and sympathetic choice. Even without the death of two players, he's done a great job but when you factor that in.... man.

4. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    I would agree with this but one thought, many of Donigan's players played youth soccer either with or against each other. They had a good game going into college. Dan's Diaper Dandies grew up together.

Okay now why not Shaun Docking of Coastal Carolina? His team has risen to the top of SC in the past two years and his players play a very good individual and team game. He can't take credit for their individual skills (and what college coach can?) but the team stays to gether very well and keeps good balance all over the feild even when one or two guys are wandering around. It's very hard for a coach to keep that kind of game under control, especially with the short college season. His TEAM plays so well that I think he deserves consideration.

5. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    LDB--I guess you have a short memory, but maybe these remarks from preseason will be a refresher--

From thread UNC Preseason Ranking: LDB said

"The ACC coaches picked UNC to finish 4th in the league.
    Of course we all know preseason picks are just that, but from looking at this roster, I can't see the heels finishing higher than 5th or 6th. They're solid in goal with Williams, and the U-17 NT players will be immediate contributors and starters, but after that, Elmar's cupboard is bare. I'm curious to find out about the defender transfer from Fresno. I've seen many of the incoming freshmen field players, and they're soft...not ACC material IMO. You also have to wonder about the wisdom of bringing in so many players off the same club team."

So the ACC coaches picked UNC to be 4th, you couldn't possibly see them higher than 5th or 6th. And yet now they are sitting 3rd in the country with 1 loss...much better than anyone expected. Yes, there is talent on the team, but the fact remains--no one expected these results, and some, if not a great deal, of the credit needs to go to Elmar.

And besides, he won the ACC in 2000 and NCAA College Cup in 2001, and he still gets no respect. What will it take?

6. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
    my vote goes to Dana Taylor, oregon State. That could change based on what the Beavers do in the 2nd half of the season. This is not a sentimental pick, but I really believe he has done the best job to date in div 1. Cantona, have fun playing "gotcha" on this board, but remember, what goes around, comes around. Don't be a Punk.

7. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    The problem I have with Old Dominion is this: While they have some nice wins against quality opponents like Stanford, Cal, Wake, and VCU, there schedule is actually quite weak. Of those, Wake is the only team I put in the Top 25. And the rest of their wins come against the likes of St Francis, Longwood, Campbell, and NC-Wilmington. I mean, are those even D1 programs?

To me they have a great big asterisk on that top 3 ranking that says 'cream puff' schedule. To be D1 coach of the year, you have to put your balls on the line and take the guaranteed wins out your schedule.

8. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    As to west coast coaches deserving of mention, I'd add Tim Vom Steeg of UCSB who has done a hell of lot over the past season and a half with the less than heralded talent he's been able to recruit. Today UCSB sits at 9-1-1 with only a loss to a strong LMU team and a tie with perenial contender San Jose St.

I'll also throw Cam Rast of Santa Clara's name into the ring. In his 2nd year as head coach he's totally re-vamped the team into a quality side. The team is mostly underclassmen with only 4 seniors on the roster and they all split significant playing time with younger players. The team is heavily laden with Frosh/Sophs who make up the bulk of the mid and forward lines. They currently sport a 9-2-3 and have consistantly been ranked in the top 15 all season after getting nary a mention pre-season.

9. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    lastword...

You won't scare me or many others. Call me biased or whatever you want, but I stick with what I say. When UNC loses I will even admit that they are outplayed, unlike others who support other teams and make excuses all day long. All I ask is thtat when "the proof is in the pudding" give the man behind the pudding his due respect.

10. ODUwildman

ODUwildman New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Lancaster, Pa.
    The CAA is a relatively decent soccer conference with the likes of VCU, W&M, ODU got an at-large bid last year and Hofstra was ranked off and on last year.

You're quick to say that Wake Forest would be the only team you rank... well, again, you can't dictate the conference schedule.

St. Francis isn't worldbeaters, but they lost to UAB (when the were on their early season run) by a goal and scored twice. Longwood IS Division II, but they are an in-state school and ODU always tries to schedule the in-staters as well.

Dawson has ties to the Campbell program, so that's a natural regional game... and yes, they're Division I.

American was far from a guarenteed win as well... From here on out, the only real "guarenteed" win on the ODU schedule is likely Towson. American dropped one-goal decisions to UVA, Maryland and beat William & Mary 4-1.

Wilmington's in the conference as well.

Now, ODU doesn't have the porous budget to spend on travel (Especially with Men's sports... we're Title IX U around these parts).

I'm not going to make any excuses, but for a border-line top 25 team that scheduled St. John's (ranked then #1 last year) on the road ... in the past Penn State, Virginia, UNC, Rutgers, Coastal Carolina have been on the schedule in non-conference.

Who's to have known Stanford would have fallen off a cliff... not to mention, ODU did beat Cal AND Stanford on back to back days 3,000 miles from home... i call that a distinct home field advantage anytime an East Coast team plays games on the West Coast...

Cream puff? I wouldn't think so. Again, you can't dictate which conference your in (unless it's the Big East and ACC and we know how that's turning out), but historically Dawson schedules tough squads.

So I'll give you Longwood and Campbell... to a lesser extent, St. Francis (post-UAB collapse).

If you knew Dawson and how ODU has regularly tried to schedule top programs (most on the road).

ODU's a good team, but again, I make no predictions... but W&M will be problematic.

You could be right, once the NCAA tournament rolls around (where ODU lost to then #1 Wake Forest in Double OT last year in the second round)... but there's still a lot more soccer to be played.

Taking a team that finished 11-10-1 last year (10-9-1 reg. season) to the Top 5 in the nation says a lot in itself.

Soccer coaches voting them #4 says a lot more than the other polls because some of those coaches actually have seen ODU play, rather than go on results (like you are doing now).

It's all in fun, I'm just hoping that more folks around ODU will catch some soccer fever like I have this year.

Hell, a month ago, I'd never been on this website. Again, not talking trash.... just talking soccer.

11. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    cantona, I just think Elmar's true talent was in his previous job, before he became UNC's full time head coach. Used car salesman.

12. used car salesman

Luv, if you want a really good night, get Elmar to sit with the guys and tell some off his stories. He was buying classic US cars and sending them back to Europe, some of the stories are classics. Now, on coaching. Funny, a coach can do everything (for arguements sake) right, not win it all, and he can't win the big one. Yet, a coach can win it all, as Elmar has, and he gets the he shoulda won, his school recruits itself, he has great assistants, who couldn't win with all that talent. If you don't like Elmar fine, that's why there is chocolate and vanilla. But the guy can coach, which includes seeking out and hiring good assistants. Try talking with some of the top soccer people in the U.S. Elmar rates pretty high, not perfect, who the heck is. I promise you, when Elmar speaks, everyone from BA on down listens. And he is having a heckuva season when most thought he wouldn't, including me, give the man his due.

13. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Okay...in the words of Charlie Daniels, we need to give the devil his due.

14. eamonmcg

eamonmcg New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Rhode Island
    Mike Noonan, Brown has not been this good since they had Cory Gibbs. Brown will win it all this year.

15. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    Dawson

Dawson...hands down. His team has only given up 3 goals this year, and yes I know their schedule, but you must also remember where he is getting it done. And to add to it, he is a complete class act.

16. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Caution...hell must be close to freezing over.

I actually agree with Fixxxer on something.

Give COY to Dawson...he deserves it.