Coach John Hackworth Career Deathwatch Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by the Next Level, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Hey, where is bombed out of a tourney? :D

2. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this kook still the coach?

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Sadly, he lacks the honor to resign and neither Bob Bradley nor Sunil Gulati have the stones to can him.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Nah, it has gotten bigger than that.

It's basically to the point now that the results don't matter.

It's like the old USSR - whatever nonsense was going on in the country, the ruling few kept their power.

This is how Gulati - or the master behind their chief puppet - is running it.

The USSFR.

5. soccermagic0011

soccermagic0011 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    You are right its not about the results. It is about Hackwoths inability to raise the level of players once they enter the residency program. More often than not, players leave the program as a shell of the player they were before they arrived. Hackworth is incapable of making players better and tactically OMG. His nickname suits him- "HACK". The younger players that just arrived in August should get out as fast as they can.

6. qwerty3

qwerty3 New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Are you rushing to get your kid taken out?

7. soccermagic0011

soccermagic0011 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Already through, but not an enjoyable stay.

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'm speaking for many (I'm sure) when I say that we would appreciate concrete information from an insider's perspective.

For those who haven't glanced at the Woitella article, which tries to take a fresh look at Bradenton in the context of recent developments (WC failure, new academy system, MLS initiatives), it's full of Hackworth quotes that suggest that he (at least) doesn't think his head is on the chopping block.

9. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Not targeting anyone, but in general any information from these kind of sources needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

When children are involved things get cloudy.

10. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With or without salt, 1st hand information always beats baseless &/or unfounded speculation.

11. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Agreed.

But I have seen and witnessed enough conflicting first-hand accounts to know that this information cannot be automatically considered accurate or applicable to the general experience.

Parents have a vested interest in the well-being of their child and will always have biases that interfere with analytical analysis.

I think everyone here can think of more than a few examples related to a coaching environment.

12. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hardly a new phenomenon here. How else would Norv Turner have a job coaching the Chargers?

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Hiring of Wade Phillips, Rob Chudzinski and Cam Cameron away from the Chargers staff.

And Turner's availability.

And AJ Smith's wanting to go with the same system as before.

Which doesn't make either Norv's or Ted Cotttrell's hiring a good decision.

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I assume Hackworth is hanging out with Bradley, here ...

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_2850816.html

The U.S. Soccer Development Academy is hosting the first Academy Fall Showcase this weekend from October 6-8 at the U.S. Soccer National Training Center at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

Thirty-six teams from 18 elite clubs will join two U.S. Youth National Teams to play 38 matches during the three-day event. In addition to U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Bob Bradley and other U.S. National Team coaches, the event will draw scores of college coaches from around the country.

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Although, if you happen to have seen a certain coach up close, and you know he can run a practice, and you know he's good at managing players personalities, (not that this necessarily applies to Hackworth) every coach at that point probably deserves two or three chances. Sports is a zero sum game, and also one where there are very thin margins between winners and losers, and it's often something (say the FO, or talented players that lose their grip on reality, or something else) the coach couldn't have reasonably controlled, but it's one where the coach typically gets fired anyway, if only for the symbolism in suggesting you're doing something about the losing that at all times somebody must be enduring.

16. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    Yes! I read somewhere that with all the million$ the US spent on the u-17s, they weren't smart enough to send a scout to see some of their groups opponents play their recent games. That means they weren't close to being world cup ready. The coach was just trying to hack it. That's downright incompetence. Disgusting! Can't they find a local guy to scout for them, if no American can find their opponent's country on the map?

17. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Uhhhh......

18. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    ... According to two sources, Hackworth will be offered a job elsewhere in the USSF, possibly an administrative role in the new academy system. ...

Should we laugh or cry?

Maybe we should celebrate a small victory - drinks on me.* :)

20. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I really hope this is the case. At any rate all these guys, if anything, are FANTASTIC administrators. I have no problem with Hackworth moving into an administrative role.

Just hoping we can find a good U17 manager to replace him.

21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I really hope they get a European/ Latin Academy Coach who has developed top players. It's not that they are from Europe or South America, it's simply the fact they develop players there. Here we coach teams, there they develop players. A Subtle yet significant difference.

22. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think that as these national coaching decisions are to made (Ryan also comes to mind) that Gulati should get off of his ass and hire that technical director that he has been rumored to be interviewing for.

You'd think that such a hire should be in on the decision process, not handed a bunch of newly appointed coaches selected by the current USSF crew.

Then again, maybe that's what's going on here. Fill positions with the good old boys before the new sheriff comes to town.

23. izha

izha Member

May 24, 2002
    On Goff's thread somebody mentioned Etcheverry.

24. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I have no problem with them hiring a US coach. However, it would be nice if they hired somebody with a proven track record of developing quality professionals. And right now, that seems to be a position for a foreign coach.

25. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem with them not hiring a US coach.