CNN: GOP criticizes student get-out-the-vote campaign

Discussion in 'Elections' started by BlueMeanie, Oct 27, 2004.

1. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    GOP criticizes student get-out-the-vote campaign

Nice. Once again, the GOP thinly veils their desire to suppress the poor/minority vote with "they're Democrat-biased" crap. Doesn't matter who the sponsor advocates, the people doing the legwork are students who are too young to vote, for Chrissakes.

2. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  3. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy they always base their argument on the notion that people who are ill informed shouldn't vote, which is rather amusing now that we know how uninformed many Bush voters are.

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I love the panic mode Republicans are in right now.

5. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    How many freaking minorities ARE there in Wisconsin, anyway?

6. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
  7. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    Taking inner city school kids (of who most can't read) out of school to go around getting Kerry votes is a big deal.

Particularly when several 11-year olds were caught early voting.

8. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    This reminds me of an editorial piece by a local politician. A good example of how uninformed they think voters are. She actually thinks that voters aren't aware that they can vote for any candidate, not just for the party they are registered with.

http://www.franklin1st.com/issues/barr1026.htm

9. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Link please.

10. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    [​IMG]

11. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's what I thought.

12. Kelly Vargas

Kelly Vargas New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Scottsdale, Az
    whoa, whoa, whoa! since when do you have to have evidence to back up your claims?? this completely undermines the dems complaints of voter supression.. hehe

13. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Three links in the first two posts. I won't speak for Meanie, but I'm not a democrat. Republicans do have a long, proud tradition of voter suppression. Hence, the urgency for negative campaigning.

14. Kelly Vargas

Kelly Vargas New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Scottsdale, Az
    the three links in the first two posts do nothing to support the assumption that Republicans are trying to "supress" voters.. They do, however, lay out examples of shady politics and voter fraud by democrats and what republicans are doing to fight it...

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it were Republicans doing the same thing we'd hear people complaining that they were using the children to further their agenda. So what's the difference here?

16. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't read those links, but there's this: efforts by the State of Florida in 2000 to clean up the voting lists resulted in significant numbers of legitimate (mostly black and mostly democratic) voters being incorrectly struck from the lists. The company that did the clean-up was hired by Jeb Bush and Katherine Harris and mostly does partisan work for Republican backed candidates and causes.
    There's another thread on this board about GOP led efforts to put people into mostly black and democratic wards in Florida to challenge individual voters. A poster there who recently started as an election worker for Miami-Dade described the process of challenging a voter's registration. It involves shutting down the polling place while the on site officials talk to the voter and the challenger. More than a handful of challenges (and what the Florida GOP is planning to do is a waste of time unless they expect to make a significant number of challenges) would result in nobody being able to vote for as long as it takes to resolve all the challenges.

Counterfactual conditionals don't make much of an argument, but if it's all you've got....

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do us all a favor and get off your high horse.

You keep bringing up Florida, but this isn't about Florida. It's about a bunch of kids in junior and senior high skipping school to register voters.

18. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    You sound like a pleasant person.

Oh, wait...I meant to say you sound like ********ing **************.

19. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I brought up Florida because Kelly Vargas made a more general comment about voter supression and the GOP.
    This isn't only about teenagers doing voter registration work either; it's also about Republicans who indulge in kneejerk criticism of actions that will result in more voters in areas where they won't get a lot of votes.

20. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If the Reep kids doing it were wearing Bush pins and telling people to vote for Bush then yeah we'd be complaining. But these teens aren't wearing Kerry pins and telling people to vote for him.

And it doesn't matter anyways as the Reeps' whining seems to have won out over freedom and democracy.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041028/ap_on_el_pr/students_vote_campaign

Why do Republicans hate democracy?

21. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Jon Stewart]...he coninued by saying, "and it is in no way like the Republican sponsored voter registration campaigns run out West where volunteers tore up registration forms filled out by Democrats." [/Jon Stewart]

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strawman abuse isn't a crime, but it should be in this forum.

23. Metroweenie

Metroweenie New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    If they are actually using taxpayer money, that is heinous. Pretty much all of these get out the vote campaigns are designed to get out the Democrat vote. People pretend to be non-partisan, then have slogans like "Vote for Change"...I wonder what that's suppose to mean? And why is it I see people registering voters on 125th Street in Harlem, but never on 86th and Park?

I'm not saying get out the vote groups are bad, I'm just saying they are pretty much always partisan, and mostly Democratic, and that they shouldn't get taxpayer money.

24. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    The reason why Bush isn't promoted by Choose or Lose is because he hasn't had time to apprear in an interview. This is definately a loss for him. I think that MTV has made a great influence on America's youth. Kerry definately went the right way about this. Even if some can't vote, they'll remember that Kerry is a Democrat and could choose to vote for them the next time around.

Here's the link if anyone's interested: http://www.mtv.com/chooseorlose/headlines/news.jhtml?id=1490769

25. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Because Upper East fundies are probably already registered and dropping $1,000 a ticket for black tie DNC fundraisers?

I see what you're saying, but NYC is a bad example to make your point. You have the union guys, limousine liberals and Thompkins Sq punks - it's a Democratic city no matter the neighborhood, despite the best efforts of the Post and Mayor Bloomy.
    You are talking about the same George Bush who just took some time off to get a full-service tongue bathing from Hannity the other day?

I don't think it's so much that he's too busy - he just thinks the base is a higher priority than the swingers.