CNN Breaking News: Powell resigns

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Barbara, Nov 15, 2004.

1. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    When Powell through the UN script up in the air and said "I'm not reading this ****************," Rice defended the intelligence vigorously.

The man who was right is fired, the woman was wrong takes his place.

[​IMG]

2. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    It's called ' rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic'...same Captain, same ship, same direction..................same iceberg!

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CNN.com now reporting that Tom Ridge has resigned as well.

4. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    The Secretary of State hasn't always been top dog. How much clout did William Rogers have when the great Henry Kissinger was National Security Advisor? I understand Pres. Kennedy created that position so he could have someone advising him on security/defense matters who didn't have to be approved by Congress.

She is not a dope. She is low key. Obviously she's not a darling of the press, so the only area where she will achieve less than Powell is in fawning headlines.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??? Source/link?

Because while it's been 15 years (oh God I'm ooooold!!) since I studied this stuff, my recollection is that the position was created in the late 40s as part of a general restructuring. I think it was around the same time that the Department of War was wussily changed to the Department of Defense.

But like I said, that's a vague memory. If I were less lazy, I'd be googling now.

6. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Condi. tee-hee.

As a diplomat, I doubt she'd be able to convince a group of drowning men to grab a life preserver - much less mend complex international strained relations.

I'm guessing the coalition of the willing will be down to the UK and a bunch of unscrupulous mencenaries within 6 months.

I'm guessing there will be no coalition of the willing to take on Syria/Iran/North Korea

This is great theater. Too bad it has real-world implications that may get me killed.