Clubs that were Robbed thread

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Serengeti_Boy, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    I was reading another thread on Bigsoccer created after the France-Ireland game, where posters discussed international games where teams were robbed of games through unjust refereeing decisions such as England vs Argentina in 1986, Algeria in 1982, Brazil in the 1978 world cup and most recently the France and Ireland game. I hence, figured why not do the same but for clubs.

I'm going to start the thread with the 2001, EL Classico between Barcelona and Real Madrid. The match ended 2-2, but in the last minute Rivaldo scored a goal that was legitmate but the Referee called for offside as he thought it deflected off a Barca player, whereas it actually came off Ivan Helguera before going in. Needless to say the Barca boys were very annoyed. Here's the link

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9peJfLEKPXg&feature=related"]YouTube- Rivaldo vs Real Madrid[/ame]

2. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are entire websites dedicated to chronicling Juve robbing teams over the past half-century. Way too many to list here. My favorite, of course, is the one that led to the Italian Parliament being suspended after fighting between members about the match in 1998.

Juventus 1-0 Inter (April 26, 1998)
    "Juventus had been accused of benefiting from some favourable refereeing decisions throughout the season, but were only leading by a point with four games to go. Alessandro Del Piero gave the hosts the lead in the 21st minute, but there was drama in the second half. Piero Ceccarini failed to award a blatant penalty for a foul on Ronaldo by Mark Iuliano, before awarding one to the hosts seconds later. There were furious protests on the touchline, Inter coach Gigi Simoni was sent to the stands while president Massimo Moratti left the stadium, but Del Piero missed the penalty. Ze Elias was later sent off for the Nerazzurri, despite the fact that Edgar Davids was still on the pitch having kicked at Diego Simeone. It was so controversial, even the Italian Parliament broke out into a heated argument over the derby."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Tyjhk3g8c"]YouTube- Juventus 1-0 Inter 1997/98[/ame]

Honorable Mention: April 1973;Juve-Derby European Cup Semifinals.
    German referee was given gifts by Juve before the game. Derby coach Brian Clough tells Italian journalists, “No cheating bastards will I talk to. I will not talk to many cheating bastards.” (also questions the Italians' conduct in WWII)

3. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Club America Copa Sudamericana 07 final

4. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea vs. Barcelona in the semi-finals of the Champion's League. Quite possibly the worst display of refereeing ever seen. Penalties that are not even up for discussion were not given despite the referee being in full view of all of them. Barcelona received a red card, but what is the point of Chelsea attacking when every single one was halted by a handball or foul?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PENQDQ52SOY"]YouTube- 4 Penalty Appeals Champions League Semi Finals Chelsea v Barcelona[/ame]

Barcelona went on to equalize in the dying embers of the game, and serious insult was added to injury when Samuel Eto'o blocked a Michael Ballack effort with his arm. Whatever anyone has to say about this one, he led with his entire arm up and blocked the ball, with his arm. Last time I checked that's a penalty, and very easily another sending off. A terrible match that I'm never going to forget.

5. luhg

luhg New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How about Manchester United? Robbed blind by the Glazers

6. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Liverpool? By their own fans. :D

7. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Karma has Chelsea still searching for Big Ears.

2006 Champions League, Round of 16, Second Leg.
    Chelsea leads on the night 3-2.
    Aggregate score: 4-4, Barcelona leading on away goals.
    76th minute corner is headed in by John Terry, but Barcelona keeper Victor Valdes is unable to make an attemped save due to being hooked/held by Ricardo Carvalho, which referee Pierluigi Collina decides to ignore. Last time I checked, that's a foul. A great match ruined by a terrible non-call that I'm never going to forget.

@4:43 of video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqOJAplmxis"]YouTube- Barcelona Chelsea 2-4 Champions League 2005 second leg[/ame]

8. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Karma has Chelsea still searching for Big Ears.

^^Uncle, that's a very unclear video, do you have anything more definitive/higher quality? Anyhow, you guys made up for it in a much bigger way.

9. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Now THIS is clearly handball.

1990 European Cup semifinal, 2nd Leg.
    Marseille won the first leg 2-1.
    0-0 in the second leg with seven minutes remaining and Benfica looking for that vital goal when this happenned...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwYV-DIwyoY"]YouTube- BENFICA V MARSEILLE | UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI FINAL[/ame]

Benfica would go on to lose to Milan 1-0 in the final.

10. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: Karma has Chelsea still searching for Big Ears.

That was the only one I could find that showed replays.
    You can clearly see it @ 5:02-5:04.