Club Atletico River Plate - Friendly Matches & Tournaments (R)

Discussion in 'River Plate' started by locoxriver, May 28, 2007.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    River coming to the states for two pre-season friendlies:

June 28th: River vs. Chivas de Guadalajara -- SDCCU Stadium (San Diego, CA)

July 6th: River vs. América (MEX) -- Kyle Field (Texas A&M University -- College Station, TX)

ElMuneco and Ron Mexico repped this.
  2. ElMuneco

ElMuneco Member

Jun 27, 2004
    Encinitas, CA
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    You know where I will be on the 28th of June.

locoxriver repped this.
  3. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The River vs. America match has been moved to Seattle

[​IMG]

Same date/location for River-Chivas, however

Ron Mexico repped this.
  4. ElMuneco

ElMuneco Member

Jun 27, 2004
    Encinitas, CA
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Ordered my ticket for the game today. Who's joining me in San Diego?

5. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How was the game last night? i didn't watch the match and i must admit i have no knowledge of mexican club since they left the Libertadores... Is Chivas any good? and if so did they play any starters?

In the highlights it looked like we just wiped the floor with them with a mixed team, without Quintero, Pratto, Armani, Casco, Suarez, and Enzo for only a few minutes... Not bad

Grande River!

6. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was at the game. It was indeed a wipeout. Very clear difference between the players of the two sides: from ball control, to passing, to even movements—the difference was overt.

Even River’s trademark intense pressuring seemed like something the Chivas players had never seen. 1 touch and they were immediately surrounded by 3 River players pressuring them from every angle, every time. They appeared to be used to having more time to control the ball and pause, but River didn’t let them breathe at any point and they’d quickly lose the ball.

Regarding their lineup, I’m not fully familiar with the Mexican side, but it appeared to be their best from my understanding. They are only missing one player due to international caps (some 21 year old they recently bought who is playing the Gold Cup with Mexico), but other than that there shouldn’t be anyone else missing since they don’t have foreign nationals in their squad.

Really I think it’s just a matter of quality contrast. Chivas supposedly is coming from a near-bottom table finish in Liga MX, so I guess it’s logical that the champions of america (albeit with a weakened lineup) would slaughter them.

RiverGaucho repped this.
  7. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Chivas hasn’t had a quality squad since Almeida left and even then they were pretty mediocre. Still it’s great to know that River is looking good just weeks before the copa match.

locoxriver repped this.
  8. ElMuneco

ElMuneco Member

Jun 27, 2004
    Encinitas, CA
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I was at the game as well. River actually scored 6 goals since the one that Chivas scored was a own goal by Montiel. As Loco stated, River looked superior to them. Even our youngsters like Rollheiser, who also scored, looked good. Great passion and support by the Chivas supporters though. Even though they lost 5-1 they continued to chant and even light of smoke and flares.

I hope it's not another 15 years before River returns to play in San Diego. Yep, you heard that right. River played PUMAS of Mexico in 2004.

RiverGaucho repped this.
  9. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its good for River to be playing these sorts of friendlies in the US. We definitely need to expand our presence in the American market.

One of the things that is absolutely stupid is that you can't order merchandise off of the River website and have it sent to the US. As far as I can tell, you can't even buy a shirt and have it sent to Uruguay.

I hope in the future, we are also able to play some friendlies in Europe. We obviously won the biggest match of all over there, but it would be fun to see River playing friendlies against some Spanish, Italian, and even English clubs in the future and also tap into the markets over there.

Ron Mexico repped this.
  10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great to see the pibes Alvarez and Ferreira scoring great goals against America.

River handled the two biggest clubs in Mexico easily, 7-1 on aggregate despite missing various players and playing the kids.

Obviously, beating Mexican clubs should be a formality, but it is nice to completely embarrass them. Its embarrassing how some Mexicans think they have superior football. And on twitter some America fans were claiming that had Marchesin been in goal, he would have saved those shots... LOL Yes, Marchesin, the third choice goalie for Argentina who shouldn't even be in the squad and in Argentina could only play for Lanus... What a joke!

locoxriver repped this.