Club America / SJ news (1/15)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Mr. Bandwagon, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw this on Bergin's boards: spanish language article indicating that negotiations to buy the EQ's might be suspended. Anyone want to do full translation? Pretty please?

2. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google generally butchered the translation, but it did produce the following:

In addition yesterday, the called group Anschutz Entertainment , that operates and that has investments in the club of San jOse, revealed via electronic mail that at the moment the negotiations are suspended.

3. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    No.

It says that the talks are stalled under certain uncertainties.

It doesn't say that they're suspended.

4. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Levante. So it says talks with Club America are continuing, but they've stalled on some issues? In other words, AEG hasn't suspended discussions?

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The uncertainties are suspended but continuing while stalled.

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Last line of the article...
    "The email states that it is difficult to complete important agreements, such as the possible sale of the team, while the position (of GM) remains unfilled."

My sense is that the lack of GM is what is currently stalling the project, as well as certain displeasure at MLS FO that resulted in Moore's resignation.

7. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I am posting this link to a different

article.http://www.ovaciones.com/futnac/faltandetalles.html

It basically says that there are only adminastrative details before Club America takes over this April. One of the issues is the name. Either America USA or America San Jose. Sporting Director of America Zague was in Carson for the Interliga finalizing details ....

8. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    NOW it's time to protest vociferously.

9. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    I don't like the sound of that...

10. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh oh. This is gonna be interesting...'interesting' as in the curse, "May you live in interesting times."

12. futbolrey

futbolrey New Member

Dec 20, 2002
    Burke, Va
    I don't know much about your team but where u guys this upset when they changed the name from clash to earthquakes?

13. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    America USA? (Almost redundant isn't it?) If it were possible, an equivalent name would probably be UK Britain.

14. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG we've been over this a million times. And this question is usually asked by someone who doesn't understand the history of our team. But that's okay, cuz you wouldn't unless you were here.

So....

The name Earthquakes has a history here. It means something to the Bay Area fans.

And, when the Krapts changed the name to Earthquakes, they surveyed the fans in the crowds. They did research. They didn't just come in all arrogant and cocky and say, "This is our team we're gonna call it Mayonaisse." They had good reasons for doing what they did.

15. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I guess the redundacy is better than say, America Germany.... So maybe it's a good thing after all.

:)

16. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much different than what Dylan Hernandez originally reported in the Mercury News. It was time to protest vociferously then, and it's time to protest vociferously now.

17. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I don't know, I've kind of reseigned myself to having a bunch of changes in 2004. The name will be changed to america USA or San Jose america or whatever stupidity they can think of. The beer in the stadium will be changed to some mexican swill that's undrinkable. The fish and chips will be replaced with beans and rice and goats head stew. Those f***ing plastic horns will be everywhere and you won't be able to get inside Spartan without one. If you want your seat you'll have to fight some drunk bastard to get it back. Oh yeah, 2004 is going to be real fun:rolleyes:

18. futbolrey

futbolrey New Member

Dec 20, 2002
    Burke, Va
    Thanks for clearing that up but can i ask u a question? Would u be in favor of changing Metrostars to Cosmos since u're argument is based on history of the team.

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Personally I wouldn't, but that's really for MetroStars fans to decide (just as it's pretty ridiculous for non-Quakes MLS fans to claim that a team-name change in San Jose is acceptable).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

20. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Is there any distant possibility of an economic crisis in Mexico, so the fvcking Televisa will go bankrupt NOW?

21. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's what the MetroStars fans want, fine! And, I wouldn't be telling them that they are wrong.

22. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Mexico always in economic crisis? :rolleyes:

23. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Apparently, the crisis is not deep enough.

24. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the rich guys. They're the Kings of Status Quo.

25. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    So it looks like a "clash" between those who want the team to continue being called the San Jose Earthquakes and the new owners changing the team name to America somethingorother.