Closed Door Scrimmage 2/5/14

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by dashiel, Feb 5, 2014.

1. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    10:30am
    Line-up

Some interesting things in that line-up. Fair to guess this is the starting 11 minus Omar, Landon & Keane
    • Keane not fully recovered from off-season surgery
    • Hall?
    • Cochrane/Dunivant to platoon this season?
    • Sarvas not match fit or has Husidic shown something?
    • Rogers not a starter?

2. klpv82

klpv82 Member+

Mar 8, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rob Friend just scored in the opening minutes off a free kick from Juni!

3. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I think it is very interesting that AJ is playing centrally and not at RB. If Bruce really views him as the new RB, then one might expect him to be put there for a scrimmage and then pair Opare and Leo or Meyer. Of course, it does give us a chance to test out the trialists at RB, but this suggests AJ isn't out of the rotation at CB.

4. klpv82

klpv82 Member+

Mar 8, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juni!

Adam Serrano ‏@LAGalaxyInsider 1m
    A Juninho bomb! A confident run up field and Juninho easily buries the shot from about 25 yards past the 'keeper. LA up 2-0.

I want to see more of that this season!

ragbone and StillKickin repped this.
  5. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    So, will the Chivas USA closed door scrimmage or the Galaxy II scrimmage be a more difficult test for the senior squad?

6. klpv82

klpv82 Member+

Mar 8, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd Half Lineup:
    Perk; Sorto, Leonardo, Venter, Gaul; Jamieson IV, Sarvas, Garcia, Hoffman; Rugg, McBean

7. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Definitely seems like first-half were first-team. Surprising to see Sarvas here.

8. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Bruce is trying to see how certain parts work (new players etc) and it's hard to tell if you just throw in a bunch of scrubs together and young kids. I suspect he's trying to have balanced teams for each half where he can get a sense of how players are doing without a ton of confusion. Sarvas and Leonardo are most likely the glue for the 2nd team who have been in the system a long time and can keep things together.

9. Bid&Offer

Bid&Offer Member

Nov 25, 2006
    2-2 final

10. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
  11. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    forie, TrickHog and dashiel repped this.
  12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I need to know about this game is that it's looking like Juni is not starting slow. Please I hope that's the case because we need him in CCL.

jmaestro repped this.
  13. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I think AJ is the starting RB in Bruce's mind. He just wants to have a look at all our options (Sorto, and the three trialists : Gargan, Riley and Hall) to make a decision. I bet Riley and Gargan will play against Shirak on Saturday.

I would not be surprised to see Sorto loaned to the Galaxy II for the whole year and then we'll sign one of the three veterans to backup AJ this year.

I agree with Bruce and co. : we don't have enough depth at RB. Gargan is a solid journeyman who was not bad last year with SJ. Riley was one of the best RB in the league a few years ago but he lost himself in bad teams (Chivas and DC).

14. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @LAGalaxyInsider: A new #Frenemy for the rest of @MLS? Rob Friend settling in well with #LAGalaxy. - http://t.co/ymBiOUrPjC

This part of the article stuck out and was definitely an aspect of our game sorely missing last year:
    Friend was particularly impressed with another Galaxy newcomer Stefan Ishizaki who fired in a number of dangerous crosses into the Canadian forward as he caused havoc for the Chivas defense along the right side of midfield.

“He's a winger that likes to put the ball in the box,” said Friend. “I'm a striker who likes to get in the box and get on the end of them. So it's perfect.”

esco300 and Topper repped this.
  17. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  18. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high