clint baumstark

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Digilobo, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Digilobo

Digilobo New Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Queens, NY
    i thought this guy sort of belonged to us at some point, but tonight i saw him starting for dc. was he picked up from the disintegrating metrostars black? how does he fit into a new roster this late in the season?

2. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    He never belonged to us. He is a "roving" goalkeeper who dressed for at least half of MLS teams at one point this year.

3. KeeperKid18

KeeperKid18 New Member

May 3, 2003
    NJ
    I just saw that on the MLS site box score. I wonder why Warren didn't play since the red from USOC wou;dn't carry over.

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was at his brother's wedding.

5. MetroStars96

MetroStars96 New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Baumstark was signed by MLS prior to the season. He backed up Paul Grafer on June 14th and June 21st for the MetroStars.

He plays for the US U-20 team. From what I understand he is a great player.

6. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    that must suck cuz theres no hope of him getting legitimate playing time unless he really impresses someone

7. Digilobo

Digilobo New Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Queens, NY
    thanks for the info, everyone. im still not completely clear on the 'roving'-ness -- is there a pool of roving players who swoop in when a team proves desperate? who signs the checks for these players? do the teams who use them have to pay some sort of "rental" fee?

from what i read about baumstark, he's incredibly talented and grabbed all the highest goaltending honors while in school. whatever the mls contract looked like, it was tasty enough to merit leaving college, regardless of how much we get to see him.

8. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    [​IMG]

Now I know why this thread got started...

Well, with SEM he can technically go anywhere, but players are usually signed by the league and then assinged to one team who then "owns" them in a sense and maintains trade rights, etc. There is no specific "roving" status, just players that kind of float around the league until they find a home. So, you won't see "roving" next to P-40 in your 4 page program insert.

Also, this is an interesting site:

http://www.geocities.com/metromascot/nonmlsmetros.html

Gotta love any site with Anthony "E" Latronica on it.

9. Digilobo

Digilobo New Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Queens, NY
    gulp. was it that obvious?

whatever, he's no grafer.

10. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    oh the things I could do with the grafer's pants song in light of that statement...

11. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    MLS does.... MLS signs eveyones checks last time i heard...

12. Digilobo

Digilobo New Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Queens, NY
    right... i guess i'm more concerned with whose salary cap he (and players of similar status) falls under. if he is informally roving, i assume he is added to and deleted from the appropriate teams' budgets as he goes, unless there's always an amount allocated by every team as a 2003 season 'access fee' to these players if and when they need em. if he sits on the bench for metro for 2 games, does he get 1/15 of $24,000 from the metro budget?

i know what you're thinking -- speculate more! this is really fascinating stuff! but see, now you've got me all concerned about where fractions of $24,000 go.

i think that picture is making this thread popular.