clint and his future in germany

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by WC2010Champs!, Oct 24, 2004.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint is gonna do what clint wants to do and that's how it is and that's how it will always be. I love his skill level and feel that he could bring a lot to the table for any Bundeslga team but he must step off his high horse. When he struggles so does his attitude. He doesn't lack motivation, he lacks the right kind. It seems now that his motivation stems from his personal happenings and not from his play, which has been few and far between. When he does get minutes he desperately needs to work his ass off to earn more PT. Hannover could be a great situation but he has to embrace it and work with what he's got. Everything is in his control and he's gotta sieze those moments. Until then he will continue to bitch and be unhappy.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    It is a shame that a talent like Clint Mathis is being wasted by a new coach at Hannover. How many times do we see that a change in coach leaves some players on the sidelines. In th case of Mathis I have to agree with Clint, he comes off the bench and scores a winner within minutes so I would point to my watch as well. On second thoughts I would point to my ass!

3. KrimsonTide

KrimsonTide New Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe you should read the thread before you post.

4. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spreichen Sie "Troll" in Deutche? :D

5. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    So YOU are Keith? :D

Keith making friends on the Hannover board

6. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint shouldn't go to RSL, he should go to San Jose. They have to give up Donovan, but get the most flamboyant American player currently active.

7. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    there is a zero percent chance that Clint will play again in MLS

8. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    ???

9. buffalo

buffalo New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Buffalo
    It would be best if Clint went to the EPL. Even if he doesn't play, he will still be a circus and fun to follow, in English. If he does play, and gets hot like he can, he could be a star in England. His chops, mohawks and hogan bars would be splashed all over the back pages and would finally give me a reason to watch the end of Sky Sports News.

10. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    What are hogan bars? Is that something from Hogan's Heroes?

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He should go to Russia and hang out with gangsters like Pavel Bure does.

Not that he couldn't hang out with Russian gangsters in the EPL.

12. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is RR Kelly? Is he related to LL Cool J?

13. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I wish St. Pauli was still in the Bundesliga, the perfect club for Clint!

14. hackattack

hackattack New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    U.S.
    Clint needs to stay in Europe, but get out of Germany. How about Holland or Spain. He doesn't have the discipline for Germany and we adn he knows it. He's too talented to come back to MLS yet. I say he goes over to Holland.

15. mathes1982

mathes1982 New Member

Jan 5, 2004
    Capistrano Beach
    I just want to see him play, preferably not in the MLS. What about Scotland, or the English Championship. There are alot of places he could go, I believe there would be some teams interested. They really should let him go considering they are not playing him. If they don't sell him its like they would want him career to go down the drain. He has proven he can score in a top league. He is a great player.

16. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What would you think about Mainz? Klopp is a bit like Rangnick, 96's former coach, and with casey allready there he'd have an Americkan to help him...
    and you americans would love that mainz team, wouldn't you?
    I'd rather have him here in Hannover though, playing...
    but today 3 forwarders made a goal, never change a running system... :-/

17. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, no kidding. He's a pirate alright.

18. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Funny you should say that. Your castoff fundamentalist LDS in Bountiful, BC make the Taliban look progressive so I assume the same of the Utah breed.
    Enough politics though. I think a change in scenery is needed for Cletus.

19. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Because of Hannover's unreal run Lienen was guest in the popular tv sports show Sportstudio tonight.
    He was specially asked abour Mathis and the incident after Clint's goal against Schalke was shown and asked about Clint's '"No respect, no respect" screams after the goal.
    I don't have the exact quote but he answered pretty angrily something like: "This player is not in the position at all to tell me anything about respect" and then he went on talking about that every player has every chance to fight for a spot as long as he works hard and lives in a professinal way and players who won't do that won't have a place in his team.

There has happenend too much between these two, Clint will be gone in the winter break and it's not because of his skills.
    I will be sad to see him leave but I guess it will be better for everyone involved.

20. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  21. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I've lost a little respect for Lienen too on this whole issue, and he is a bit of hypocrite.

If Lienen really felt this way about the gesture, Mathis should not have started the next game. It is only because Mathis performed badly (and Lienen had to 'mix it up' again- with great results), that Mathis got pulled after Bielefeld. Had Mathis scored the game winner against Bielefeld, and been starting then during the winning run....then Lienen would be singing a different tune.

Tonight, Lienen should have just deflected the question, and focused on the great run the team is having.

Instead, he decided to get Clint back once again.

By saying this, I by no means endorse Clint's action..it was stupid. A suspension was certainly justified. But if a coach or GM felt it was bad/wrong- then they should have benched Clint for Bielefeld. Otherwise (if they start him) then they've already made the decision it didn't matter......or should have. They should shut up about it (like Clint) and move on. But Lienen wants to keep getting back into it (when asked)..

To view proper behavior on such- look at the Anheim Angels this year- they suspended Guerrero in the middle of the final week of the baseball season because he did the wrong thing. That took guts, and was not hypocritical. They could have easily throw the playoffs out the window w/that decision, but they decided to go on principle. Lienen did not on this thing. He's done the expediant thing all the way down the line...

22. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
  23. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    ??

24. wanderingpress

Apr 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Coritiba FBC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He should go to Spain, where originality is encouraged. He's a a square peg in Germany.

25. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Clint will be a square peg no matter where he goes. He blames others around him for his problems. The solutions for Clint's problems begin by him taking responsibility for them. The best thing that has happend to him has been going abroad not so much for his soccer skills but for his growth as a person.