Claudio Reyna to Man City?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by RoyalMan, Jun 8, 2003.

1. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Actually, it probably would not be that big of a risk because they would be able to get him for very little since Sunderland is desperate to slash their wage bill. When Reyna is healthy, he is a class player and he is definitely better than Gary Speed.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's also worth noting that Reyna and Phillips had very little time playing together last season. S'land came out of the summer break in ok form, tieing B'burn away, losing by one goal to Everton, beating L'pool and drawing with ManU as well. The Phillips was out two months or so with a hernia and he was back a game or two at the most before Reyna went down. Not that having Phillips and Reyna together for the season would have saved them - but it sure as heck couldn't hurt! Anway, latest stories I've seen has Boro going for Phillips (with Blackburn denying interest.) I've seen nothing more on Reyna.

3. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That is a good point with the wage bill. ANd I actually do agree that Reyna is a better all around player than Speed when healthy. But I guess the main comparison will have to come though when he (Reyna) gets back on the field and the type of player he is. He wasn't the fastest player in the world to begin with - hopefully his body will react to decisions as fast as his mind.

4. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Speed is more of a goalscorer. But Reyna will probably set up more for Anelka and crew.

5. Emiliano240

Emiliano240 New Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so what is reyna's status now?

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He has not been mentioned in the press I've seen. Most of it is bemoaning how no one with money is coming for any of S'lands "top guns" - like Flo or Bjorklund. Sorenson will go, but not for as much as they hoped. Phillips to Boro is waiting on Boro selling one of their 4 front men. I think Reyna will stay put until he plays a few real games, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him snatched at the deadline. S'land has got to sell a couple of bigger money players or at least drastically cut their salary or they are at real risk of "adminstration." Apparently ticket sales are not moving along too well either. Sadly, since guys like Flo, Bjork, Craddock and Reyna seem willing to stay, if S'land could pay them all they'd have a very good shot of getting back up (if everyone stays moderately healthy) but Flo gets 30k, Reyna supposedly around 25. Bjork wasn't cheap. Even without Phillips, Flo and Reyna they've got a tough payroll to meet on a Nationwide budget.

7. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like MR. Keegan has his eyes on McManaman...

8. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Just when I thought McManaman is going to show the Beckhams around Real Madrid!

9. JerzyRebel

JerzyRebel New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Land of Paulie Walnuts
    Anyone else thing Beckham put a stipulation in his Real deal that Real had to ge rid of Stevie Mac in the process? LOL

10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Reyna and SMcMan could play in the same midfield, I'd think. In fact, they'd work well together. and what a combo they'd be, neither one having played in a year...
    Still, I can't see anything happening for Claudio before he's proven he's back from injury, as sunderland at the least would want to get an undamaged goods price on him.