Claudio Reyna to Man City?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by RoyalMan, Jun 8, 2003.

1. RoyalMan

RoyalMan New Member

May 18, 2002
    Reading
  2. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i like it. great stadium, loud fans, ambitious team, but that damn mustached man plays there too... :(.

3. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    I think City should keep Goater, add Reyna and with Seaman, they'd have the oldest striker/midfielder/keeper treble in the League

4. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you'd have to blame Seaman and Goater for it. Reyna's not even 30 yet. :D

Lee

5. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He will be by the time the season starts.

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not all of him. some parts are brand new.
    Goater would look good in blue and white stripes.

7. mikesterw

mikesterw New Member

May 2, 2001
    Long Island, NY
    I could never understand why Claudio went to Sunderland to begin with, but I would like to see him get back into the premeirship. I would also like him to go to Newcastle, but I don't see that happening.

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He picked a bad team, but the Premiereship is much better than the Scottish league -- better players, more competition, more money, better crowds -- so it was a good move in general. Sunderland were a bad side to begin with, but performed worse than expected and got relegated. If Claudio kind move to another Premiereship club, then the move will be justified.

9. sachinag

sachinag New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO
    I think the argument for staying at Rangers was that they'd be in Europe every year.

10. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i am not sure how good reyna is, but if he will add something to man city i'm all for it. i really want to see them do well this yr.

11. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    If being part of the "best eleven" in the World Cup is not good enough for Manchester City, then I don't know what is.

12. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Sunderland were a bad side? They had finished 7th in the Premiership each of the two seasons before Claudio arrived. He made a good move, to a place where he was an automatic starter against great competition as you note...

If he does move to Man City its a great pickup for them...

13. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you remember, Claudio Reyna signed for Sunderland in December, 2001. They were not playing well at the time, and finished the season 17th, just above the relegation zone. They were a crap side. They played horrible, predictable football that relied on the head of Niall Quinn and the foot of Phillips, the first past his sell-by-date, the second vastly overrated. Regardless of what they had done in the past, they were not having a good year when Claudio signed, and all the signs were there that Phillips and Quinn could no longer score. That's one of the reasons that Reyna was signed, i.e. to provide some semblance of midfield to a couple of inept strikers.

14. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Yeah, 'cause those deep runs Rangers make in European competition every year are great experience.

And in case it isn't perfectly obvious: :rolleyes:
    In case it wasn't obvious #2: I am rolling my eyes at the argument, and I realize you were simply stating the argument people made, not arguing the point.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Actually, they are a great experience compared to playing the kind of crap football Sunderland played. (or at least the few S'land games I paid good American cash to see.)

Rangers are 12th overall in the "Euro standings" since '55 (S'land is 440.) Over the time that Reyna was at Gers they played something like 50 Uefa/CL games. S'land played how many? Some of those were against piddly little clubs, but they also included Parma, Dortmund, PSG, Valencia, etc. etc.

While playing the likes of ManU, Arsenal, Newcastle, Chelsea etc. every year is obviously very interesting, it is silly to discount the yearly Euro play that Rangers and Celtic (or Ajax, Galats, Dynamo etc.) get as uninteresting. Frankly, all else being equal I'd have to guess Reyna would rather be looking for a summer transfer from a treble winning SPL side looking at yet another pre-Christmas in Europe vs. a dishevled former EPL club hoping to get out of the Nationwide.

16. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    freisland, dont you know that having common sense and thinking clearly while making a concrete argument is not welcomed on BigSoccer?

17. Chester FC

Chester FC New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    hoping Claudio can get some good time in the Gold Cup and increase his transfer credentials. He needs to be in the Prem. Too good a player to waste on the hurley-burley of the 1st div.

Through the Prem is pretty calm, eh. :)

18. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    not a bad move

it really wouldn't be that bad a move.
    reyna controlling in midfield, while anelka and wanchope (both big as hell and good goal-scorers)
    and that chinese dude on d put on a good show last year...
    seaman's got a good year left in him

i like it.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    sorry, I wasn't thinking.

Again, tho, I'm not saying that Rangers is way better than playing for a lower EPL either. It's probably a pick 'em. For instance:

In 98/99 Gers played 2 good UEFA rounds - Parma and BL (not that the trips to Ireland, Israel and somewhere else that I forget weren't interesting...) and of course, get Celtic over the SPL season. Probably a less interesting season than playing the top 4 or 5 EPL teams twice.

In 99/00 they had Parma, Valencia, Dortmund, Bayern, PSV and of course, Celtic in the domestic league. That season I'd take Gers over S'land for sure.

In 00/01 they had Sturm, Galats, Monaco and Kaiser. EPL is probably a bit more interesting.

01/02 it was Dinamo Moscow, PSG, Feynoord. Again, EPL would be more interesting - if you stayed there...

02/03... Well, sometimes the less said the better. There's always next year.

Anyway, as I said, it's a bit of a pick 'em. S'land and Gers get similar sized crowds, Gers actually have newer, (tho I don't know if they are nicer) facilities. So, please, I am not now, nor have I ever claimed that Gers and the SPL is better than playing at S'land (in the EPL - I will say it's better than S'land in the Nationwide.) It's just not "roll your eyes" worse, either.

20. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it has turned out to be somewhat of a pick'em comparison, after 3 or 4 years of playing in the SPL Claudio was probably looking for a new challenge.

21. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    That's silly. In HINDSIGHT the signs were there. At the time they were in a slump. And Philips is a good striker. He may not be material for the 3 lions but he's still good. Calling him inept is ridiculous. Reid's had some inept signings but Philips isn't one of them.

I"d like to see Reyna at Newcastle. I don't think Gary Speed is going to cut it this year after the big injury and his age. Reyna's a ready made replacement for a Newcastle midfield that is still to young to cut it.

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bottom line is Reyna is a Premiership player and deserves to be on a Premiership club whether it be Newcastle, Leeds, Portsmouth, or whatever. From what I've read he's looking good on the ball and has a little ways to go before he's game fit. Reguardless of injury, his skill and leadership abilities are above the 1st division and Blunderland.

23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    He'll also be invaluable for their Champions League campaign. 2-Way midfielders who can hold posession under high duress are invaluable in something like Champions league. Reyna might not get you the victory, but he sure as hell will make sure you don't lose.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    no argument here. I'd get tired of busing out to Perth and kicking it around McDiarmid every six weeks as well, even with the enticement of a trip to Dagestan looming on the horizon.

25. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I would agree with you regarding Philips. He is the type of striker that actually needs good service to really be effective. He can make great runs and is a good finisher. Problem is - without a midfield or defense with a backbone, and without an able finisher alongside him, the defense can really just hunker down on Sunderlands one and only true threat. Would Reyna have made a huge difference? I think he would've guaranteed them a few extra points. But he couldn't have saved them from this inevitable relegation. Also, it shoudl have been expected. No offense to Reyna fans or bashers, but this player has a pretty well known record for getting injured. You simply cannot rely on him. The guy was just injured while rehabing from injury for goodness sake!

For that and other reasons, I don't necessarily agree with the Gary Speed comment. Why replace one player that's come off injury for another? If anything, Newcastle should look to a younger, fresher set of legs in their midfield. If they want an American, this is the time that I would explore an MLS option that would not be bank shattering. But Claudio Reyna? Just seems like an extremely bad risk if I were the GM.