CL Preview thread: Arsenal v. Borussia Dortmund [r]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Ian Lozada, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/Champions_League/Story/0,5764,792329,00.html

It's that time of year again. The key for the Gunners this year is winning road games in the CL. It's a mental barrier that has to be broken through immediately if we're to progress.

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/020916/4/d9pdb.html

Ljungberg and Lauren are available for selection.

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/020916/80/d9oo7.html

Tomas Rosicky (thigh) did not make the flight to London, and Christian Woerns has a recurring knee problem that cut short his last appearance in Dortmund's big derby with Schalke 04 on Saturday, a 1-1 draw.

As always, we'll be here for the PBP.

2. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    I'm going to go on record right now and say that playing Ljungberg tomorrow would be unwise. Let's give him a little more time and let him play 30 minutes against Bolton.

3. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    Rosicky's absence is big. He has so much energy that he literally fuels the team. At Highbury without their MVP and I guess 2-0, Gunners win!

4. Senor Askew

Senor Askew Member

Jan 19, 2001
    San Francisco, CA.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going with the International Man of Mystery on this one and saying Freddie boy should'nt play.

We've not lacked for firepower so far this year and while it would nice to have it, better to hold him back just one more game and have him indefinately that risk aggravating an injury that might keep him out for a few more months.

5. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Is this a thread for previews only? I'm just confused because of the [r] in the thread title.

Thanks

6. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a preview thread, but the [R] is there to allow us to discuss current form, including the scoreline of Dortmund's derby draw v. Schalke on Saturday.

7. BazoDee!

BazoDee! New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    B'klyn
    Audio feed?

Any sites streaming live audio? Checked UEFA.com, but can't be sure they will.

Called up ESPN Zone in Times Square and they're only showing the Roma/Real match. This is a BIG match, the two champions of their respective leagues squaring off and ESPN won't even show it in their high priced sports bars, (that have a gazillion screens), that are obviously aimed at tourists. Where the hell do they think these tourists are from?:rolleyes:

Read somewhere that they'll contemplate showing both Tues. and Wed. matches after year's end. I don't mean to turn this into an "ESPN should air more Gunner's matches" thread, but..........

8. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Fred will be on the bench tonight, he'll probably appear for a short time at the end of the match, just to start getting him back into the swing of things. Rosicky not playing and doubts over Woerns is good news. Being German, I'd have thought they would come looking for the draw anyway, but we should be able to chalk up a win against a weakened side.

With two away ties up next, a win tonight is imperative.

9. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Le Boss' big concern has been 6'7" Jan Koller up front. My guess is that he won't be a problem if we can cut off the supply, however. And that's what Sol and Martin are there for.

10. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ian, I hope we get some good PBP.

11. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Wow, nothing like a little pressure.

Hey Ian, what's on the pre-match menu? Don't you concoct some sort of elaborate meal? Do you have any "lucky" meals, ones that are more likely to bring success than others? The public needs to know.

12. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Veal Parm hero, Cherry Coke.

I have not tracked the success of individual meals, but you can be my statistician for this.

The PBP should be above average for this season. It's always easier to do the UEFA games. More and better source material.