CL day 1; Madrid vs Marseille [R]

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Oscar, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Why the Hell did nobody make a thread for this one yet? The game is today already! :D

LINK

Cambiasso will be able to play tonight, it looks like he has recuperated enough after the injury he received during the game against Valladolid.

Also noteworthy in the selected group for today's game, is another homemade player: Jordi.

Full list:

Casillas y César;
    Salgado, Pavón, Rubén, Raúl Bravo y Roberto Carlos;
    Borja, Beckham, Cambiasso, Guti, Figo, Solari, Núñez, Jordi y Zidane;
    Raúl, Ronaldo y Portillo.

I have good hopes.

2. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Who is Jordi? Is he from Real Madrid B?

I think this could be a really entertaining match (not least because it's the first official match we'll actually get to see in the states!). Both teams are coming off big wins. Zidane is facing his hometown squad.
    It's good that Cambiasso is fit, although I have to admit I was kind of hoping to see what would happen if they played Guti-Beckham in midfield.

3. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's the first time I've heard of Jordi, but yeah he's probably from their B squad.

Marca had their probable line-ups listed yesterday for the game:

Real Madrid: Iker Casillas; Michel Salgado, Pavón, Raúl Bravo, Roberto Carlos; Figo, Beckham, Guti, Zidane; Raúl y Ronaldo.

Olympique de Marsella: Runje; Beye, Van Buyten, Meité, Ecker; Hemdani, Celestini, Meriem, Johansen; Marlet y Sytchev o Mido

Exchange Guti for Cambiasso, and Mido will probably start as well (wouldn't he? I thought he was a regular over there) and there you have the most likely teams for tonight.

It will be nice to see how Madrid's young defense will perform against a bigger and better rival than they've faced so far.

4. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm actually a bit nervous about that - has Raul Bravo ever even played central defense before?

I'm counting on the fact that l'OM's midfield isn't exactly going to give Mido and Marlet a whole lot of chances (Meriem's good, but their only ball winner is Celestini and he's not quite Champions' League caliber).

5. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    1-0 Marseille.....uh-ohh....defenders have looked HORRIBLE....

6. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    fluke goal i must say but MIdo its outstanding!

7. TravisMinor_23

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    WOW....wonder goal from Carlos....1-1

8. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    1-1 RC rocket shot

9. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    van Buyten is really good, first time I see him play

10. TravisMinor_23

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    Was far from a rocket....took a volley and pounded it into the ground from the left side of the box....and hung in the air dropping into the top right corner...
    Ronaldo just shot at the keeper....
    Now puts in a goal from Salgado to an open net...
    2-1 RM

11. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    2-1 Ronaldo

12. whereischarlie

Apr 20, 2003
    Annapolis, MD
    Unbelievable goal by roberto carlos, and now a goal by ronaldo, 2-1 madrid

13. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    hey, im watching the game you dont need to describe me what's going on, even Diego Balado said Beckham charged RC's bazooka with his service

jeeezzz

14. TravisMinor_23

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    Sorry, it wasn't for you, it was for people who might be reading this, a rocket sounds like a volley nailed right into the net, which that was far from. Wasn't trying to be a jerk, sorry. Beautiful goal though....

15. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    certainly it wasnt a volley, i guess its the difference between languages, my comment (ESPN LatAm) is in spanish, no worries :)

16. Papa Bouba Diop

Papa Bouba Diop New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    What's with the monkey sounds aimed at Didier Drogba? Is this common practise in Madrid?

17. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    those are Ultra Sur (RM hooligans) Balado is talking about them right now

18. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    No. There were 20 or 30 people and in only one play, there are 80,000 people in the stadium. I was in the stadium and i hardly listen the sound. IF you want to listen monkey sounds clearly you must go to the Barcelona stadium, where all the stadium frecuently make monkey sounds against Roberto Carlos. I think that with Ronaldinho, they will change his aptitude this year.

Speaking about the game. I think that very good game. The first goal of Roberto Carlos was a great goal.

The Real Madrid begining wan't very good, But after the Olimpic goal, the Real made 20 or 25 minutes of great soccer and it made many goal chances and scored two goals. In the second half the team began playing very good and score the third and fourth. Then the team played more relaxed, because the game was "ended". In these minutes the Olimpic score its second goal.

Salgado played a extraordinay game, he was in all the places attacking and defending. He is in a great moment.

Cambiasso also played very good. Helping in the middle and in defense to recover the ball.

Beckham is improving every game, and he is playing also in a great level. Helping the team in defending and attacking. His first pass to RC in the first goal was great and the shot of Roberto Carlos even better. We are seeing great goal in the last games. 11 goals in the last two games, i am very happy with that. And the Olimpic is a very good team - first in the french league -, and the Valladolid had tied with the Valencia in Valencia's home.

Zidane like always played very good. He moved the team very good, with great details of quality. His play in the second Ronaldo goal was great.

I think that these players were the best of the game, Although Roberto Carlos, Pavon, Raul, Ronaldo also played very good.

Figo was the worse player today. He made too many errors in the pass.

I think that the referee wasn't very good. I have to watch the plays in the TV. But in the stadium, it seems that in the Olimpic first goal the ball touch in the hand of one player, and I saw a clear pk to Ronaldo and repeat the pk of figo was a joke, and i think that in the RC pk he must show the Red card to the Olimpic GK.

Anyway, even with that the Real Madrid won clearly the game. And we are the first of the group. It is very important to win the first game. The next game is against the Oporto in Portugal.

19. Papa Bouba Diop

Papa Bouba Diop New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    Thanks for your answers guys.

20. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The noises came from the Fondo Sur end of the stadium, which leads me to believe it was the Ultras Sur or (much more likely) Orgullo Vikingo. Neither group is looked on particularly favorably by the majority of Real Madrid fans.

21. Merengue

Merengue New Member

Nov 4, 1999
    San Diego
    Those fans were only getting on Drogba for 10 minutes or so after a foul he made against Beckham.

Overall an entertaining game. Marseille is a pretty good team and they tested Madrid early on. But Madrid kicked it into gear and they' re difficult to stop when they attack like they did today. Overall a solid game from most of Madrid's players. I'd say the weakest links were Raul Bravo and Figo but I was very impressed with Beckham, Roberto Carlos,Zidane, Ronaldo and Cambiasso.

A good start for Madrid in the Champions League.

22. anirbanblah

anirbanblah New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    India
    Cambiasso played like Makalele, and raul Bravo played like Hierro last year. Hope Helguera gets through the season without major injuries.

Beckham is still not the hottest tackler but his defensive work-rate is impressive. his passing is genius

Offensively, this year's team is even better than last year, that much is clear by now.
    Defensively, I still don't know how much worse. I think yesterday was not too bad because we controlled most of the game. But I wondr how we will play against a Juve or a Bayern that will push us hard in midfield or against a Man U that will try and exploit every hint of space, every imaginable chink in our defence.

23. anirbanblah

anirbanblah New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    India
    Oh but Salgado has become a monster going forward... yesterday he was much more dangerous in the marseille third than Figo!

24. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Salgado has been playing fantastic for a couple of weeks now, hopefully he can keep this form throughout the season.

The first time Ronaldo fell down in the penalty area, wasn't a penalty in my opinion. The second time the ref could have given it, because the defender doesn't touch the ball with his tackle, but he does touch Ronaldo.

Taking the Figo penalty kick over didn't make sense at all, it was a couple of Marseille players that were just over the line, so he should have given 'advantage' to Madrid and let the goal count. If Figo would have missed the second attempt, Marseille would have benefitted from their own 'foul' (walking inside the area too soon)

I think yellow was enough for the goalie though, besides you wouldn't want to make it too easy for Madrid. ;)

25. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes, with the best two right wingers in the world, Salgado is the most dangeriouslast night. That summarized his performance.

Bravo picked up a dumb yellow card in the end!!! It might cost him later on.