CJ Sapong KC BBQ Tour

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by szazzy, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the Crown Prime Beef Short Rib from Jack Stack again this weekend. Its my favorite beef item I have ever had, any type of food in any way. Its on a whole other level. Im not even a beef fan really.

2. kafka

kafka New Member

May 31, 2010
    Olathe
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a slow cooking process that involves smoking the meat so that it has a unique flavor. How things are cooked makes a difference (at least for me). It's like the guys that try to deep fat fry everything...creates a distinct flavor and texture. But if you are not a BBQ fan, it doesn't make you a bad person or even a bad evaluator of food, it just means you don't like BBQ that well. I think everything tastes better if it is smoked...

3. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Crown Rib is a most wonderous thing. I usually get Jack's Best which has one of them, but have oft considered to get the three and go with them alone. Problem is I also like the burnt ends and baby-back ribs.

I generally dislike beef ribs for the most part, but that Crown Rib is something else. I also feel like I'm probably going to die from a heart attack every time I have it, but after the first bite I resign myself to the fact that it's probably worth it...

4. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wanted to say I hate you all right now. I haven't had good BBQ* in ages. It's like it doesn't exist up here and I can't really make any myself because there is some stupid law saying we can't have grills on apartment patios.

*I did make a Bacon Explosion in the oven last winter at least. Had to get good sauce when I was down that way.

5. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Lot of BBQ places being thrown around, last I had was Smokehouse BBQ in Zona Rosa, it was excellent.

6. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a fan of Smokehouse - particularly the one on N Oak, though now that I'm down South I only ever get to the one at Metcalf and 135th.

7. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I know quite a few people like that, actually. I'm extremely not like that. My favorite meals are hot wings, ribs, and steak.

8. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sometimes i'm ashamed that i even know you.;)

it may not make them a bad person, but it does give the doctors a justifiable reason to keep them in the looney bin.

no grills, but that's no problem. just get a smoker. that's what you need anyway.

smokehouse is often overlooked, i find, on the local scene. it really is quite good. i hit up the one on 39th street in independence about once a month or so. love the pork loin smokehouse special, love the "porker" sandwich, love the cheesy corn, love the fries too.

about the fries... i know i've said this before (i think in the kc restaurant thread), but the best fries i've ever had was at benny's bbq at 40hwy and sterling in indep. the bbq is above average, but it'd be entirely worth it to just go there and order nothing but fries.

9. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer foods with lots of ingredients and vegetables are almost a necessity for something to be considered great in my book. I will take a loaded sub sandwich over just about everything. I like meals where it is just a pile of different stuff. That is why I like Mexican and Italian better than almost all American dishes.

When it comes to a meat, we get a part of a cow that is raised on a friend of the families farm in Kansas that is completely grain fed each year. The meat I grill in my backyard is better than anything I have ever had in a restaurant. Most of the time, I marinate with nothing other than olive oil.

10. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Ah, yeah, I know exactly what you mean. One of my wife's really good college friends grew up on a cow farm and she absolutely can't stand any other meat. That kind of meat is so damn good it's hard to go anywhere else and be able to appreciate it.

11. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Grain fed, and marinated steak? I don't get it? What cut is it ?Is it aged? What temp do you cook it too? What are you cooking it on, coals. regular, matchlight, gas, wood(what type)

Just the olive oil I will give ya but. Is it the sense of providing and accomplishment affecting your taste buds. I know when I make something I tend to cook it to my tastes, and it tastes better to me.

In the end it is all about subjectivity. If you like it, it is good.

12. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What dont you get?

We get a little bit of everything. Sirloin, T-Bone, Round, Minute, and everything else.

No

Nothing but a standard gas grill

No, the meat is just really damn good. My in-laws get the other portion of the steak and it taste just as good when we eat some at their house.

The meat is so lean that every piece of meat comes off the grill the same size as it went on.

13. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i havent had meat since that meal, got to balance out that intake... it was well worth it (though I dont mind veggie meals either, i got some chops in the kitchen if I do say so, vegetable yellow curry tonight)

14. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    hmm.. Just seems to go against the laws of good steaks

grass fed, minimum 2 week age, coal/hickory, m arbled, salt and pepper. For me Med rare on strips and filets (warm red center), Med on rib eyes (pink center)

different strokes for different folks

15. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must spread rep...

Grass-fed has a completely different flavor and texture than grain-fed, and to me it tastes better.

I've actually been exploring Sous Vide cooking lately, and have really been enjoying it. You can get a great medium-rare throughout but still have the browned crust that makes a steak great.

16. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just realized that I typed grain fed. I meant grass fed.

I prefer rare. The bloodier, the better.

17. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still illegal. All we can get is one of those propane camp stoves. Like, the single burner kind. It's stooooopid.

18. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you can use a propane camp stove on your balcony, you can absolutely make that a small smoker.

Or you could try something like this.

19. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alton Brown/Good Eats is awesome.