City vs Chelsea [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by CityBlues, Sep 9, 2008.

1. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manchester City Football Club

vs

Chelsea Football Club

City of Manchester Stadium
    17:30 GMT
    12:30 Eastern

Thanks to Lynne for the info. In Canada the match will be shown live on Setanta

Canada
    *Setanta Canada - 12:15 pm LIVE Barclays Premier League - Man City vs Chelsea

United States
    Also, the match will be shown LIVE in the United States on FSC
    *Fox Soccer Channel - 12:30 pm LIVE barclays Premier League - Man City vs Chelsea

Hughes wants to keep academy
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7603683.stm
    http://tldorc.blogspot.com/2008/09/keeping-academy-players.html

More links closer to the match, thought we may as well get talking about it! Formations anyone?

2. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    The biggest concern is Jo, Robinho, and Elano. They're just back from international duties and if they are still 100% for this game, then we should have a chance to beat Chelsea. Our boys who played for European Countries will be slightly better off as the travel isn't that bad.

Essien is out for the remainder of the year and I think there's a few more injuries on the Chelsea side, can't remember.

3. pazzmore

pazzmore Member

Jun 17, 2000
    Tucson, AZ
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    odds that SWP will score?

4. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure, but if he did it would be storybook.

5. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Petrov is definately out, doubts on Micah and Johno.

Robinho will definately play some part though, how much they are not sure though.

Big game.

Too bad it starts at 2:30 in the morning in Aus, i'll have to set an alarm !

6. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injuries:

Micah (Probable) - Shoulder
    Petrov (Out) - Knee
    Johnson (Probable) - Groin

I don't like the looks of this reoccuring groin injury with Johnson. He missed a load of games last year and was operated on. They say it's just tightness. It was also encouraging to read that Petrov may be back for the portsmouth game.

7. Lynne_mcfc

Lynne_mcfc New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    GTA, Canada
    It will definitely be a new team out on the pitch and raring to go and win it. There's a few that will pull out all the stops to be on the wining side in this one, besides SWP. Reputations to solidify (and justify the amount of money that brought them to CoMS).

Does anyone foresee problem areas/weaknesses for us? Are Chelsea up to full strength, I heard that Essien was out. Mikel is fit as is Drogba (but Drogba may only be fit enough for 45 mins – unless this is just a ‘spin’ by Chelsea and he’s really match fit!).

Come on City

8. thecitizen

thecitizen Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am interested in seeing Zaba, from what I hear he is just as good as Corluka, if not better. (I don't get to watch many Argentina games)

9. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hart
    Zaba------Richards--------Dunne--------Ball/Berti
    -------------Kompany---------------
    SWP------------------------------Ireland
    ---------Elano-----------
    ------------Robinho------Jo-------------

3 Brazilians up front since Johnson is injured? Or play Hamann Back with Kompany.

Hart
    Zaba------Richards--------Dunne--------Ball/Berti
    -------------Kompany--Hamann-------------
    SWP------------------------------Ireland
    ---------Robinho-----------
    --------------Jo-------------​

10. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    I like the diamond 4-4-2 better. More versatile, plus it leaves more options for subs. If City's ahead, late in the match, you can sub Didi for one of the front five, to solidify the D. If they're tied, or behind, you sub in Sturridge, Evans, or Boljinov (is he available?) for Elano, and go with a 4-3-3.

11. Lynne_mcfc

Lynne_mcfc New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    GTA, Canada
    I like the 2nd option the best. Take control of the mid-field - a better chance to stop the attacks, help defend and help the forwards. It can be changed to option 1 at the start of the 2nd half if we need to apply pressure to secure a home win. MH's pick/formation will be interesting.

Come on City

12. Lynne_mcfc

Lynne_mcfc New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    GTA, Canada
    MH on the Chelsea match:

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=6618125

I love this quote:

"The 5.30pm kick off is a complete sell-out, and the world’s media have also taken a huge interest in the game, even possibly at the expense of the Liverpool-Man United game on Saturday lunchtime.

I know that there’s huge interest in this game, and by all accounts there’s another quite large game going on the same day that this one has possibly superceded!” Hughes laughs."

Love it, love it. A Man City relative of mine (and a season ticket holder) said that there's a lot more about City in the media than United. The City store is packed out and it takes two hours to get through the check-out - he's going to the match early! :)

On SWP's homecoming:
    “He is going to get a fantastic reception, his homecoming in the media has possibly been overshadowed a little bit by the Robinho transfer, but come Saturday I think you will see Shaun get an outstanding reception."

Can't wait to hear it, see it. Not a dry eye in the stadium, nor here. :D

13. Lynne_mcfc

Lynne_mcfc New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    GTA, Canada
    Richards may be fit for the match:

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?p...ommonth=7&fromyear=2008&tomonth=9&toyear=2008

"Hughes says: “Micah’s had the shoulder looked at, he has had treatment and we will look at it again nearer the day – but we are hopeful . He will be a little sore for a while, he has damaged the cup of the shoulder but if the pain is manageable then he will be able to take part."

Let's hope so, hate for him to miss this mega match.

14. Lynne_mcfc

Lynne_mcfc New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    GTA, Canada
    MH had his eye on Zaba before coming to City, but was a bit out of his range in his previous job. :D (Money talks!)

Here's the link:

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?p...ommonth=7&fromyear=2008&tomonth=9&toyear=2008

“I’m delighted that we brought him here, people are going to see that he’s a high-energy player, he has a real desire to win and he’s very dynamic."

15. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I am worried that Zaba, Elano, Robinho, and Richard Dunn won't be rested enough for this game. All of them played 90 minutes yesterday. Then again, most of the Chelsea players played on international duties as well, so we'll see.

16. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Do any of you guys have any news on Nery Castillo. Is he even considered to be on the bench? Any news will help, thanks guys.

17. suckafree8990

suckafree8990 Member

Aug 6, 2006
    houston
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    wow...i remember that guy, has he even done anything significant since that great performance against brasil in the CA opening match??

18. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    wow, thanks for the info.

19. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I doubt he will start FutGod, i don't think he is even in the squad.

The premier league doesn't really suit him at all, he probably hasn't been given a fair go, but that's life.

He almost left on another loan to Spain, but that got cut down so we may see him sometime this year. I wouldn't hold your breath though, doesn't seem he is in Mark Hughes plans.

20. Shamrock Rovers

Oct 4, 2007
    Lima, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Futgod the club being sold recently hurt Castillo with the addition of Robinho. I am postive he would have gotten playing time if the club had not been sold. I was looking forward to it. At the end of the last season, which ended horribly, he was beginning to link up with Benjani. But at current time it will take injuries for Castillo to get in. As far as him not fitting in he needed to be able to start this season as a starter and I believe he would have contributed.:rolleyes:

21. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Games starting in 20 minutes.

I'm getting excited.

These are the teams
    Teams

City: Hart, Zabaleta, Dunne (c), Richards, Ball, Kompany, Hamann, Ireland, Wright-Phillips, Robinho, Jo.

unused subs: Schmeichel, Ben Haim, Elano, Garrido, Fernandes, Evans, Sturridge.

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Carvalho, Terry (c), A Cole, Malouda, Mikel Obi, J Cole, Deco, Anelka.

unused subs: Hilario, Ivanovic, Bridge, Kalou, Alex, Belletti, Drogba.

22. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cmmmmooonnnn Abu Dh.... I mean Manchester City!

:D

Robinho looks great in a sky blues kit.. although I can hardly believe it.

Good luck guys. A win here would be a statement of intent.

23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Avram Grant and Thaksin sitting next to each other in the city stands. :eek:

24. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazilliant!

25. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007