City open talks with Milan over Kaka transfer

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by 51BLU, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I can just picture the conversation between Kaka and Robinho in the next selecao training.

Robinho: How could you say no to all that money?
    Kaka: I'm already making more then I can spend. I'd rather win trophies.
    Robinho: Trophies or money. Difficult. I like money alot.
    Kaka: In 100 years no one will remember how much you earned, only how much you won.
    Robinho: We have the League Cup in England. Only other team that cares about that is Tottenham. Maybe we could win that some day and get some nice bonuses. I like bonuses.
    Kaka: I'd rather play in the Champions League.
    Robinho: Alot of money in that tournament. How many cars do you have?
    Kaka: Exposure. The more you're on TV the more likely people will appreciate your skills.
    Robinho: We've been on TV this season. When we play someone good that Sky channel sometimes shows up. I like cars.

2. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Unfair on Robinho.

It wouldn't surprise me if Kaka earned just as much or more than Robinho, and Robinho has been the one who has been challenging the team for their attitudes in regards to challenged the "top four".

3. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
  4. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Seems Robinho went AWOL from training. Guess he's not a happy camper these days.

5. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was just watching Sky Sports news and someone wrote in to say...

"If Robinho wants to leave, let him go to Chelsea. We'll take Drogba in a swap."

If that person posts here, would he or she please reveal him/herself so I can slap you with a trout? :p

6. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Quick question, how is Real Madrid your foe? Has City ever played them in a official game?

7. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I know Man City made a crazy offer ,but it aint like Milan are some downtrodden pauper team.
    They regularly buy up the best talent from the lesser italian teams. They have stayed at the top of italian football buy being rich.Lets not pretend otherwise.

Back in the 90s they would regularly go out and smash transfer records domestically and abroad.

8. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    From the OS:

"AC Milan bottled it"

Executive Garry Cook has reaffirmed the Club’s stance over last night’s decision to walk away from any deal involving AC Milan midfielder Kaka.

Speaking this morning at the City of Manchester Stadium, Cook told us: “It’s a mixture of disappointment and some frustration too.

“I think the intention from AC Milan was clearly to sell their player and Manchester City’s intention was clearly to bring him to the football club.

“I think there was some political pressure and definitely media space that they engaged in. To be honest, I think they bottled it, simple as that.”

“They live in a different space than we do as a football club and it’s been interesting to watch their behaviour.”

Despite numerous media reports in Italy and throughout the country, Garry continued to set the record straight: “We never met the player, we only met the representatives, we never actually made him an offer on personal terms.

“So it’s very difficult to turn down something that you’ve not been offered.

“We’ve heard everything and there’s been a bit of mudslinging, but we’re going to choose not to get into that, our objective is that we’re building a football club for the long term.

“It would have been great to have had Kaka at this football club, the Premier League would have benefitted, football would have benefitted and we were willing to make that investment on rational terms. Unfortunately, the behaviour that they showed was not what we had expected nor had we anticipated.”

Cook also cleared up reports surrounding the visit to Milan. He confirmed: “We’ve been to Milan four times and the delegation yesterday involved three lawyers that represent the legal counsel for Manchester City football club.

“It also involved a board member who had flown half way around the world from Abu Dhabi, myself and one other senior executive.

“We were confined to a room, with no food or drink, and we asked some questions of the football club and more importantly we asked some questions of the representatives of the player and they simple could not answer the questions.

“What they wanted to talk about was; ‘how much are you going to pay him?’We chose not to get into that and we didn’t make an offer to the player.

“Is he a great footballer? Yes. Does he represent all the values you would want to have as an ambassador of the sport global and were we looking for the opportunity to joint venture in areas that would take this club on to a different platform? Yes, but unfortunately the landscape changed and his representatives wanted to talk about how much we were going to pay him.

“Money was certainly the motive yesterday.”

--

Cook does not sound like a happy camper.

9. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tbh.... I don't think we've heard the last from man city this transfer window.. I can just see the headlines tomorrow.. "Man City in $200 million Messi bid..." ... ok, I'm exagerating a bit.. but I have a feeling that the owners want to bring in someone of that profile before the window closes - to encourage more players to join in the summer...

10. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sporting Life has an article up with a list of perhaps more realistic candidates (minus one or two, particularly Ronaldo) now that we have missed out on Kaka. To summarize, they list:

Iker Casilas (GK, Real Madrid) - "The Real Madrid and Spain goalkeeper is undoubtedly one of the best in the world in his position."

Lucio (DF, Bayern Munich) - "Lucio is widely considered to be one of the best defenders on the world stage."

Franck Ribery (Winger, Bayern Munich) - "The current Bayern Munich and France winger is one of the hottest players in Europe at the moment. Bayern say that if Kaka was worth a reported £100million to City, then Ribery would cost 150m euros (almost £140million)."

Diego (MF, Werder Bremen) - "The tricky Brazilian midfielder, currently playing for Werder Bremen in Germany, has been touted as one of the top stars for the future."

Zlatan Ibrahimovic (FW, Inter) - "His combination of strength, power and a superb eye for goal make him a good fit, on paper at least, to play in the Premier League."

David Villa (FW, Valencia) - "The Valencia and Spain striker is one of the most wanted men in Europe at the moment. He won the Golden Boot award at Euro 2008 and recently agreed a new six-year contract with his Spanish club. However, with Valencia needing the money, a massive offer may tempt them to sell their star asset."

Cristiano Ronaldo (Winger, Man U) - "Ronaldo currently plays for City's biggest rivals, but the Blues may take the view that every player has his price - even Manchester United's star asset."

Any thoughts? From this list, Ribery and Lucio (maybe in a double package with Jo and Elano plus lots of money going the other way?) and Villa sound tempting and possible good fits.

11. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad it's over, and given the team's needs, I'm not exactly in despair about not getting him.

A major downside is that we're going to be hearing an awful lot of variations on this theme in the future.

12. Kulspruta

Kulspruta New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    BH, Brazil
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So basically Cook went all the way to Milan, was never given food or water and didn't want to speak about Kaka's wages? Does this make any sense? Wasn't this supposed to be a gigantic deal? Why the heck wouldn't he talk about the player's wages? Isn't that an important part of negotiations?

13. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless the deal was contingent on City and Kaka agreeing on wages, which it doesn't sound like it ever was, what would City gain by talking wages when there definitely was not a deal in place?

14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I hate to say this... and I know this may have been addressed many times before but I'm really starting to worry for Mr. Mark Hughes... I think he's a dead man walking and has been since the day the takeover went down. Don't get me wrong, I truly admire the coach but the more and more I think about it he just may not be the man for 'project Manchester City' as he just doesn't have experience working with players of this calibre or any trophies to his credit.

I think if City had a coach like Mourinho/Hiddink, etc... I think a player of Kaka's profile would be more easily persuaded to work under a manager of that prestige... Hughes just doesn't have that CV on him - and it's not like he can point to the results/performances he's achieved this season to argue otherwise. I'm not saying the Mourinho or Hiddink is definitely on his way and I'm not directly blaming Hughes for this deal not going through.... I'm just saying that world class players want to work under world class coaches and Hughes just doesn't quite fit that bill, yet. With Hughes at the helm I think you're definitely going to see 'more Bellamey / less Kaka' - type players - good enough to battle for a top half finish but not quite what is needed to build a champions league challenge.

Anyhoo.. just my two cents.

15. Kulspruta

Kulspruta New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    BH, Brazil
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ok, just follow the line of thought: you are the representative of a club that's trying to sign a player for the sum of 100 million euros, more than twice the previous world record. You go all the way to his club to hold talks and try to convince the player and his club to agree to a deal. They ask about the wages. What do you do?

16. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "Will this be sufficient, sir?"

[​IMG]

17. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that a lot will depend on how the rest of this season goes. If Hughes is able to continue to lead City on this upward trend on the league table and finish in an UEFA Cup spot I think that will help. It would help even more if Hughes is able to get this team deep into the UEFA Cup. Get more exposure across Europe (for results on the field rather than transfer rumors).

18. ★ ☆ ★

★ ☆ ★ New Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Republic of Vanuatu
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    You'll have more luck buying the Bayern stadium toilet cleaner for 10million euro.

The elite clubs in Europe don't need your money, hasn't this Kaka ordeal taught you anything?

19. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The elite clubs, so called, in Europe need money more than anybody else, it's how they stay in the elite.

It's not a lesson that should have been necessary, but I'm afraid that the only lesson that will come out of this is that flashing stupid money is a very effective route to overspending for everything.

20. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's funny, Milan WANTED our money and were ready to sell their beloved child until late circumstances caused them to pull the plug.

And Bayern Munich are not Milan.

21. ★ ☆ ★

★ ☆ ★ New Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Republic of Vanuatu
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Bayern have never been in the business of selling its top players just to make a profit unless they are deemed surplus. I can't speak for the rest but it doesn't seem like the elite clubs are lining up trying to sell their star players to this golden turd of a club called Manchester City unless you're looking for overpriced garbage like Bellamy and De Jong.

22. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you think they've financed their decades old habit of cherry picking the rest of the Bundesliga?

23. Golasso

Golasso New Member

May 6, 2003
    Somewhere in Texas
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't feed the trolls

24. ★ ☆ ★

★ ☆ ★ New Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Republic of Vanuatu
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Enlighten me oh wise one...

25. TheGrimSweeper

Jul 16, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bayern is a more prestigious club then Man City, I highly doubt Ribery would move.