Cigar

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by MikeLastort2, Sep 10, 2003.

1. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Not exactly food, not exactly travel.

But it is something people consume. I love cigars. Anyone else?

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Not food, but almost as important.

I'm not into the real fancy cigars. Usually a Don Diego, Dunhill or Macanudo will do just fine. Even some of J&R Tobacco's are pretty good. Great after grilling a nice steak, sitting out on the deck in the early evening.

You'll be surprised how many "closet" cigar smokers there are. If I meet up with the gang at a bar or to play pool, most will invariably ask me if I have one for them. But they'd never go out & buy their own.

3. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I have a humidor full of real Cubans.

neener neener neener

4. javaj

javaj New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Creve Coeur
    I smoke mostly thompsons from their mail order catalog. While most cigar "afficianados" dismiss them as cheap cigars, many of the handmade boxes and bundles i have purchased have been rather tasty. I'm currently getting through a box of their Navaros. Good medium strength cigar. Warning: do not buy any of their humidors. Those don't work at all.

I love cigars with either a heavy beer (guinness or schlafly's cream stout) or coffee.

I also own close to ten pipes and i must say they are the best things i've ever smoked. So many varieties of tobacco. Plus you can smoke as much or as little tobacco as you want. Also, you can set down a pipe for an hour and come back and it's just as good. I don't recommend that with cigars :).

Oh, and with my experiences, cubans are overrated. I'll take a well-made cigar from the domincian republic anyday.

As for the "big" brands, i recommend Romeo and Julieta and almost anything in a candella wrapper (if you like mild cigars).

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Who doesn't?

Neener neener neener right back atcha.

:)

6. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    I'll admit. When I go to Mexico I do indulge.

Yeah how much did you pay for them?

Ever smoked one on a beach at sunset with a very nice cognac in the other hand?

7. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Phillies Blunts!! (no, I don't replace the tobacco with something else, I honestly like them)

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "And a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a Smoke."-R.Kipling

Had my first cigar when I was 17 and have been hooked ever since. I now have three humidors (two of which are used) filled some of my favorite stogs. OpusX, a number of Ashtons (including my favorite, the VSG), Davidoffs, Padron Aniversarios, Hoyo de Monterreys...and a few misc. If you know your cigars you'll realize that those are some expensive smokes, but just as oenophiles can tell the difference between a good wine and a great wine, a cigar afficionado (of which I am somewhat of and I have subscribed to for years) can tell the difference between a good smoke and a great smoke.

PS, to "neener neener neener" Tex: Curious to know what they are.

Javaj: To each his own. I have had some great cheap cigars and some horrendous expensive ones. Cigars are like wine, you must try different ones and aquire your own tastes.

Anyone out there care to list their favorites?

9. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Cubans I have are:

- Cohiba Esplendidos (only have about 3 left from a box I bought about 4 years ago :( )
    - Bolivar Belicoso Fino
    - Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure #1
    - Punch Punch
    - Montecristo #2 (only about a half dozen left)
    - Romeo Y Julieta Coronas
    - Sancho Panza Belicosos

I probably have about a total of 75-100 Cubans left. I have lots of other non-Cubans as well.

10. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    Can you roll up some herbs in a Cuban?

12. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bite your tounge.

Actually some of the Cubans the last few years have been of such poor quality that you might be better off doing so.

And to answer your question in one word: NO.

13. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoy a cigar from time to time, had one last night in fact.Really just started getting serious about smoking them.

I don't know a lot about them,though.The one had last night was Dominican,I believe.Casa Blanca.

I'd like to know more about quality,etc.I don't have enough money to buy real good ones though.

Let's keep this going!Cigar smokers step up!

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicest cigar smoked?

Most expensive cigar smoked?

Worst cigar smoked?

Favorite cigar?

Cigar you most want to try?

15. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    I quit smoking cigarettes about a year ago but found I really missed smoking while I was drinking. The rest of the time I don't even think about smoking.

So I figured smoking a cigar wouldn't be so bad. Bought some cheap ones, Dutch Masters and found them quite pleasent. I don't actually inhale them at all. Are you supposed to? Some people do some don't, depends what kind/quality you smoke I suppose.

Went to Mexico for vacation and bought some nice cubans. Good but expensive. I couldn't afford to smoke them all th time. A pack of cheap cigars for $3 will see me through a week easily.

I have a Montecristo saved for NYE though.

If someone who knows alot about them could comment on what is good in the $5 to $8 range that would be cool.

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread apparently doesn't have the appeal to hang tough, but what started as a joke here will hang around and hopefully attract some attention.

-B