Christopher Divsalar at Atlas

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by numerista, Jul 11, 2006.

1. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
  2. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Divsalar's nationality is listed by Atlas as "Nacionalidad Mexicana". Is he a US citizen or Mexican?

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If his "Lugar de nacimiento" is in the States, then he's a U.S. citizen.

4. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Just to add, that site lists everyone with a Mexican passport as Mexican, even if he represents a different country internationally (e.g. Sammy Ochoa).

5. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Looks like Divsalar isn't alone at Atlas ... Alan Ponce from LA is there too:
    http://www.femexfut.org.mx/portal/indexcontenido.php?Obj=100032&IdJug=51482

While I'm writing, 19-year-old Cesar Rivera is with Union de Curtidores of the Third Division and 16-year-old Cesar Magadan is a registered pro but has no listed club:
    http://www.femexfut.org.mx/portal/indexcontenido.php?Obj=100032&IdJug=51725
    http://www.femexfut.org.mx/portal/indexcontenido.php?Obj=100032&IdJug=50088

EDIT to add: Rivera began appearing for Curtidores towards the end of the season and scored 7 goals in 9 games ... not a bad start.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is just the beginning, but eventually there's gonna be a rich pipeline of Mexican-American talent flowing from the US to the Mexican leagues.

Serves MLS and US Soccer right for not being proactive in signing these types of players.

7. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's related information, but it does not answer the question. Yanqui o Mexicano?

8. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I don't see why failing to sign them is a bad thing, assuming that some of the players eventually decide to represent the US. Why spend American resources training and developing a player if someone else is willing to foot the bill?

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The link in the original post lists his place of birth as California, making him a U.S. citizen. He could also have Mexican citizenship. What part of your question hasn't been answered?

10. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    Ghana is thinking the exact same thing concerning Freddy Adu. Concerning your comment, sometimes the people that show the most care for a player get the rewards. For example, in college athletics recruitment, a big reason many kids sign with schools is because they showed them attention from day one. This is how many diamonds in the rough are found and refined. Not saying that these Mexican-Americans are going to become superstars for the Mexican national team, but even if one does when MLS had the opportunity to create a loyalty to the United States, it will be regretted.

11. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    What "types of players" do you mean?
    Americans with Mexican heritage?
    {edited to add a line I apparently deleted by mistake}Or players with potential but may not be ready yet?

What if MLS just didn't think they were that talented? There are only so many MLS teams.

12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Also, we just got a half baked reserve league last year and have no real youth set up.

Easy to sign players and give them chances when the set ups are there, and you can afford to wait.

Frustrating, but it's going to continue.

13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    When Christopher Divsalar at Atlas or Cesar Rivera with Union de Curtidores start to score goals that knock MLS sides out of the Concacaf Champions League, then I'll start to worry that MLS isn't doing it's job with regards to finding and signing these types of players, whatever these types of players are.

14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    great points.

15. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Exactly....

16. texasoccer

texasoccer New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    I think the question "yanqui o mexicano"? is directed at determining to which he orients, see, for example, Rossi, rather than determining the nature of his citizenship.

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    You could be right. I was simply basing my response on the question that he actually asked.

18. texasoccer

texasoccer New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas

True enough. His ambiguity, not yours.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Divsalar is still listed on Atlas' web page.

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Rivera was still at, and appearing for, Curtidores at least as recently as October.

Magadan I'm not sure about. Also still looking for Ponce. There is another Ponce, Miguel, at Chivas San Rafael who is a YA.

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Too smart for soccer:

At just 19 years old, Chris Divsalar took a big step from professional soccer clubs to the research bench, and has never looked back.

Chris moved from the U.S. to Mexico by himself at age 14, to try out for professional soccer leagues. After spending five years as a professional athlete, he made a decision to change his career path and moved back to the U.S. Not wanting to abandon soccer completely, Chris enrolled in community college where he continued to play for a few years prior to transferring to UC Berkeley. It’s there where he discovered a passion for science, including biomedical devices and bio-molecular detection technologies.​

http://3blmedia.com/News/Meet-Amgen-Scholar-Christopher-Divsalar#sthash.TwG69mOI.dpuf

Pl@ymaker, Testudo and Winoman repped this.