Christmas Wish List for the Rapids

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Riccardo55, Dec 4, 2004.

1. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I completely agree with you greenie, but, since we do have Cannon, I don't see a need for a dominant, experienced central defender. If we can boost up our midfield so we can hold a bit of possession, it will take some of the pressure off the defense. Our defense isn't outstanding, but if we assume that Cannon can keep playing the way he has, then I would have no worries if we can figure out what we're doing in the midfield.

Unfortunately, thanks to Chung's and Hendo's age, I don't see them playing at high levels all throughout the season. Our midfield next year is going to go to utter $hit at the rate we're going unless coach TBA brings someone in or can get Beckerman to play at the level we all wish he would play at.

Along the lines of the Christmas wish list... any ideas who we should take in the Superdraft? Has anyone here been paying attention to college / youth soccer? I haven't checked out 3rd Degree's website recently to see his draft preview.

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been watching the college game as close as I can without going to games. There is going to be some good talent in the draft.
    Here is a thread where a few of us have been following specific players all year long: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3748899#post3748899
    Here is a website with similar information but easier to read: http://www.huntparkinsider.com/news/2004_college_stars_list.html

I'm really hoping the Rapids can get a senior out of CC in the Springs into camp this spring. Patrick McGinnis isn't in the combine so he should fly under the radar of many MLS teams. He's listed as a midfielder and scored 84 points this season on 34 goals and 8 assists. Yes, CC is a D III School but those are impressive numbers. A guy who can find the net like that should get a chance to strut his stuff.

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a good preview of the forwards coming into MLS this year.

http://revsnet.matchnight.com/rnindex.cfm?page=ARTICLE&show=344

Hopefully the Rapids can get one of the top 5.

There should also be some interesting forwards in the P-40 crop. If you saw the NCAA tourney yesterday, Jacob Peterson's speed is very nice.

I think the Rapids should be able to get someone who comes in and get's some solid playing time and goals.

4. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    I see both your points ... and you mention that we need a dominate central defender ... but I think we have one.

But your first point is the problem ... he doesn't want to be that player.

I think that if Pablo doesn't develop this next season under a new coach, it's time to ship him out while he's got a ton of value.

I personally, and I know we've discussed this already, think he's of no value in the midfield in MLS (with the way things are currently) ... and if he refuses to play central defense ... HE'S DEAD TO ME! :rolleyes:

5. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he is worthless in midfield. A good defensive midfielder is a strong asset and as we've seen with the Nats, he is a good defensive midfielder. He can sit infront of the defense and win balls so that the back line isn't stretched. I'd love it if next season we can get a guy in central midfield to run and stretch defenses in the attack, while having Hendo and Chung doing the same. With Pablo in the D-Mid role we could become very offensive. That is a big could. However, no one else on the Rapids could fill this role. There aren't many people in the league who can. Beckerman gives away the ball too much. Trembly is too much of a twit. I like Pablo in the midfield and I think it is one part of the reason we had such a successful defense this past season.

6. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I see it as the other way around: we need a dominant, experienced defender to partner with Borchers in order to take defensive pressure off the midfield. Our d-mids shouldn't be shouldered with the responsibility of marking opposing forwards, but that's exactly what wound up happening far too often in 2004.

The Rapids did well defensively (mostly at home) in 2004, but again it is largely because we had two midfielders playing D all the time. A more competent back line, combined with a single defensive mid and Cannon in the net, should be able to defend just as well -- if not better -- while giving us back a central midfielder that isn't afraid to get within 35 yards of the opponent's goal.

7. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holysh!t, I can't believe anyone worth their salt would claim that Pablo is worthless in the midfield, musta been me or my lying eyes that saw him play on a whole other level in World Cup 2002... Not only that, but do a better job replacing a stalwart player for the US National team in Chris Armas, than the player himself.

No one should want Pablo in Central defense. I don't usually buy "good in MLS equals good in International play" (see Twellman, Kreis, Lassiter...etc) but I will buy "good in International play = good in MLS" You're stating that Pablo Mastroeni is the lone exception the whole world around? I simply cannot think of a player that can excell at a position for their national team, and be worthless at the club level...

8. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the next logical question is, where do we find a central midfielder that isn't afraid to get within 35 yards of the opponent's goal? Do you think Becks is up to the task if he is told to play that way? I'm affraid he isn't and we aren't going to be able to find someone before the 2005 season.

9. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    :) Man ... "worthless in the midfield" wasn't really what I meant to say ... I should have said "wasted"

I meant to say that his worth is in Central defense. In MLS, you don't need to have someone as defensively gifted as Pablo in your midfield. The days of needing to stop someone in the center of the midfield in MLS are gone!

There is no player that is dominate in the midfield (now that Landon is leaving - though he played forward quite a bit too) the way it used to be ... with Etcheverry and Valderamma and others that in the past have dominated.

I hope I'm getting my point across (not that you agree ... just you understand what I'm saying) ... we don't need someone that can stop anyone in the midfield ... because MLS's depth in central midfield sucks.

While Beckerman gave the ball away too often ... he did a "C" job of it. And Beckerman isn't exactly considered even average in MLS.

What I'm trying to say is, keep the backline strong, remove the defensive midfielder, and go with two strong two way central midfielders. MLS doesn't require a Pablo in the midfield at the moment.

MLS requires people who can create chances from the midfield.

Okay ... time to pile on again :)

10. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So maybe we are getting somewhere?

We all like Cannon.

Option #1: Mastroeni and the returning defenders will improve as a unit, so add a key offensive player (I'd go for the playmaker). The assumption here is that Chung/CH and the forwards need a better system and better balls :eek: . Since all of our forwards are relatively new, with a handful of actual games each, trading them all out fails to allow them time to develop into the team. We've been turning over forwards for years with no net gain, eh? I'd give'em a chance with a new coach. As the roster expands, my sense is teams will add developmental players, not big ticket players, so this option allows us to add one BIG key player.

Option #2: Pablo plays midfield....then we need to plug in a central defender/sweeper. We still need to add that offensive player to try and improve the leagues worst offense. My own complaint wasn't as much the number of goals, but the inept and unimaginative offense. I think we have lots of 'let me try and score' guys and not enough 'assist' guys among the front five or six. Fix that, and we are adding two bigger ticket players to effectively get much better. Can be done, too. Can we find afford two without just getting something that is "equal talent" to what we already have?

Option #3: Trade out some salary for youth, and hope that the "Kansas City Model" (or Oaklnad A's) of finding cheap AND good players can win the MLS Cup with our current roster (minus a higher salaried player or two). KC has Meola, we have Cannon, thus both teams can use less expensive defenders. This means adding no bigtime central defender nor a playmaker in the attack. I think this fails as even if you do OK, you don't win the Cup. We are already OK. Another 50-50 season and an early playoff exit.

Option #4: Add a BIG time forward, leave everything else the same. Hmm. We've like done this, like, every year, like haven't we? JDV and Spencer were the only ones that stand out as helpful. Sigh. Maybe this is a good idea but can we please just try something else for variety!? I doubt we can get the difference maker due to salary.

All option may include some mid-level trades or additions that if lucky, could incrementally help the team. We may also pick up someone in the draft that starts. Like Borchers. Perhaps to really win the Cup, we need to succeed with #1 or #2, and luck out with one of our frowards breaking out into a big-time scorer. Let's hope.

RLH

11. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that MLS is weak in the midfield. However, I don't think that fact is a license to give away a strong defensive, holding midfielder. The only way I like trading Pablo is if we get two strong players in return, because we have zero depth at any position on the field.

If we can get Clark and Pope, or Clark and Vaca, or Pope and Vaca, or all three, I'm happy. I don't want to see Pablo traded one for one on the basis that MLS is weak in midfield.

12. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Box under I-25/ I-70
    Please give me rep points. KC people ripped me for telling them I was glad to see their team move to another city. Some guy from there is trying to get me banned from this site. Is this America or North Korea?

13. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe that will teach you not to go trolling around spouting off. :)

So is this your Christmas wish?

14. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VACA????? VACA????? Are you kidding me???? C'mon, this guy was let go by the lowly Burn. He's OVERRATED, UNDERSIZED, and useless...

Even if this guy was thrown in with Clark and Pope, it would lessen the deal.

15. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Box under I-25/ I-70
    Vaca isn't as bad as you think. Just ask the Rapids defense who played against him and Chivas Martinez when they played for Dallas. Do the deal if we get Pope and Ricardo Clark. Otherwise Lisi has bad ankles and Vaca is a foreigner I believe.

16. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    I'd take a chance on Vaca ... but only if we do so by giving up pretty much nothing. His defensive liabilities are serious.

And his Up side is getting smaller all the time.

17. as roma

as roma New Member

Dec 15, 2004