Christian Pulisic Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think fatigue is a problem for Pulisic especially if he starts more than once a week. Don't know if there's anything he can do but he does seem to drag when played too much.

dspence2311 repped this.
  2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I tend to think it’s just his streaky nature more than fatigue. The season is young and we’re talking two friendlies that weren’t extremely taxing or hard fought (and one he only played half). Plus he wasn’t great in them so if it’s fatigue to blame then that set in prior to the international break.

NorcalHockeyhooligan repped this.
  3. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    He isnt fatigued. If he was tired by the end of the game it is because he pressed a lot and worked hard defensively.

Milans set up when in possession was interesting Florenzi coming inside to be next to Krunic. Pulisic was often inside with Reijnders in the next line or up a little higher then Musah just up and down that right flank.

Marko72 and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  4. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The talk of Puli struggling he still was credited with creating 3 chances for Milan vs Verona

RefIADad repped this.
  5. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    He didn't struggle. It is fake news.

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was also the first time the team played that formation which they rolled out because their two outside backs were injured right?

7. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    They realized a few days before the match that both Hernandez and Calabria wouldn't be able to go. Plus Kalulu has been out a few weeks. So they improvised. And brought in a 17-year-old off the bench in the second half to play left back.

Pulisic is not their best player. But I would say he is in the upper half.

Their best players are Leao, Hernandez and Tomori. Among their outfield players Pulisic is probably next. He's definitely better than Chukwueze, who is his main competition for playing time. I also think Pulisic could be used in midfield at some point. As we saw on Saturday, Pioli can improvise.

8. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree with this take, defending is hard work and he took it seriously. all that extra running takes a toll. I still think there was very little to be upset about. He played the spot well, and I believe Pioli was pleased. He can and he will do better if given more chances with that type of assignment. I also believe he gets some credit for creating that goal from his defense.

I don't believe it can be overstated how big a change this was for him. My unofficial diagnosis is he got PTSD over being assigned to play fullback and wingback a couple of times at BVB and CFC and that was pretty much the end of him defending with any degree of commitment, excluding chasing his own turnovers.

He can offer an alternative to praying for a Leao moment of brilliance. If the defense commits to marking him then that is one less guy Leao has to beat. If they don't mark him, well go ahead and give him space near your box at your own risk. There is a really good chance Chaos is likely to ensue.

I would not be surprised to someday find out that part of the reason he signed for Milan is Pioli saw him playing the role we just saw. Playing more central. I have always wanted to see him in this role. Judging from how much effort he put into his shift he is pretty stoked about it too. It has been an interesting journey getting to this Italian finishing school, I am excited for the evolution, and think he may just become a total footballer that can influence a game even if he doesn't notch a G/A.

RunthePoint and RefIADad repped this.
  9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's having the learn to be counted 1-2x/week.

Assuming his body holds up he's never really had to do it at this level. This is a test and adaptation.

Pegasus repped this.
  10. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Dortmund 17-18?

11. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Is Chukueze not good? I am surprised there hasn’t been some platooning in the multi game weeks.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    They just did platoon him. Pulisic didn't start the mid-week game against Newcastle.

Christian will be fine. If Christian was fire every game, then he'd be at a different level in the game than he is. That sounds harsh, but its reality.

Ya know...........statistically, this is Christian Pulisic the last 3 years in the Premier League.

22/23: 1 goal 1 assist
    21/22: 6 goals 2 assist
    20/21: 4 goals 2 assists

There are a bunch of reasons for that. Injuries, squad rotation, and whatnot.
    But the fact is...............he's not some sort of stat machine.

On these boards people get concerned when he goes a game or two without a goal. Well? The most league goals he's scored in a league season has been 9. He's on pace for more than that right now this season. 10-15 would be a really nice season for him in terms of goalscoring.

Burr repped this.
  13. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    RunthePoint and schrutebuck repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cagliari Milan 1-3, le pagelle della partita di Serie A | Sky Sport

[​IMG]
    • PULISIC voto 6,5

Cagliari-Milan, le pagelle di CM: Adli dipinge calcio, Okafor non delude. Che partita di Tomori | Serie A | Calciomercato.com

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was just wondering how is Pulisic's language skills? I have noticed a few times that he seemed to wait for a clarification of a statement by a teammate. He always seems to be fine with coach instructions but he does sometimes seem a little hesitant with conversations with some teammates.
    Of course there is a very diverse set of languages on Milan and sometimes i know my ears can anticipate on language and the have problems understanding a different language if heard unexpectedly.
    It could also be accents. I speak German and French pretty well but I have a lot of problems understanding French spoken with a German accent and I find it nearly impossible to understand Japanese spoken with an even moderately severe French accent.

Of course it "could" be just situations where someone is saying something that Pulisic does not want to hear. It never seems to happen during actual play.

17. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Theo not good today

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For those who didn't see it the Yanks abroad thread....

Christian Pulisic made it look easy....

Here is my best translation of his player rating...

Milan-Lazio, le pagelle: Leao mister assist, Reijnders croce ...

Pagelle di Milan-Lazio: è Leao il migliore in campo Sky Sport

• PULISIC voto 7

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

schrutebuck, theboogeyman and superdave repped this.
  19. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Chukwueze is excellent. Pulisic is playing better. I think part of the reason Pioli is having them work on a 4-2-3-1 in practice is to have the option of playing both of them.

20. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
  21. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I think that Pulisic is superior to Hernandez, and in their top 5.

Pulisic's superpower just so happens to be the most valuable and rare superpower in soccer. And he does it extremely well.

22. Kirium

Kirium Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    Not the best match for Pulisic vs Dortmund. So far the only rating I've seen had him at a 5 and criticized him for not passing the ball to Leao on his chance

23. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could have laid it off but I can see shooting there.

Mid game from mostly everyone involved in this match.

24. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kicker 5 or Rest of the World 5?