Christian Pulisic Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 21, 2015.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well his favorite player growing up was Figo. That's what his dad calls him. He watched a lot of Real Madrid. He trained at La Masia before his BVB days.

I think his blueprint does end up at either Madrid or Barca. Just a question of does he become quality enough to make it happen.

You would think the next time Madrid goes after a Hazard like target, they don't wait until he's past his prime and fat. So if Puli were to string along 3-4 dominant Hazard like seasons at Chelsea you might see that type of move when's he's around 25.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree.

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    With what money? Has anyone looked at La Liga finances recently? Barca are on the verge of bankruptcy - they’re doing player swaps that are mostly about their amortization and balance sheets than about long term prospects, while Real are mostly buying young Brazilians. The Hazard sale was very likely Real’s last hurrah for a while, especially because it was such a dumb idea.

y-lee-coyote and IndividualEleven repped this.
  4. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Midfield Magician" on a Topps card :)

That's a pretty cool (if retro) milestone.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s not a Figo type player. Figo was more of a Riquelme type magician, not an elite speedster/dribbler.

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had no idea Topps was still a thing.

tomásbernal repped this.
  7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unsurprising. You can’t say they don’t deserve it. They hogged the TV rights to the leagues detriment.

8. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they tried to fix it a few years back so it was set up similar to the EPL but the damage has been done.

9. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    madrid bought militao (50m), mendy (48m), rodrygo, hazard, kubo, jovic and diaz (undisclosed per espn).

barca bought griezmann (120m), de jong (75m), neto and firpo (@20m each), pjanic (60m) and 8 or 9 others.

real will buy mbappe in the next couple of years for >200m, barcelona will get martinez for around a hundred million any day now. athletico- a club that even has to consider finances- spent @300 million before this season.

i think yalls concerns for meager funds available in la liga are a little misguided...

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I keep reading stuff like this and wondering wtf is going on. We keep passing out the frequent flier miles to Mr. Covid
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/h...ing-training-course/ar-BB17blc6?ocid=msedgntp

The virus just keeps on mutating and we just keep on giving mutations a free ticket to travel anywhere. We could all be dead before this is over.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Another interesting aspect of the game is that it faces the two most in-form field players from CONCACAF: Jiménez vs. Pulisic. There's a marketing angle there.

12. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Isolated populations tend to make viruses more dangerous.

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Unfortunately, that is the inside dope, from what I can tell. Ofc, I disagree whole-heartedly. Having said that, the strategy is medieval, there will be a big re-think on defense, globalism, virii, when we are thru this and that will be a good thing.

One thing I have not understood is why one could not devise a film that can be optically scanned and used as a cartridge in an instrument hooked up to the web which reads the content of the cartridge and gets a yes/no identification of virus in the film after a person coughs into it as a matter of course at home. It's not like the virus is small by today's standards. 1/800th of a hair, is that really small with the kind of detection devices we could mass produce today?

Maybe I'm all wet. You tell me.

14. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    PC&E is somewhere other than here, please stay focused.

appwrangler repped this.
  15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Are those teams good? Good enough?

16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    No, Figo was definitely much more of a winger than Riquelme. He played with Zidane at Real!

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    This looks at headline numbers and ignores outgoings and the time period. For example, you list Pjanic - but that’s only a 60mm purchase on paper. In fact, it was a swap for Arthur that Barca and Juve called “sales” for amortization purposes. Also, those prior Barca sales were with the Neymar money - that’s now gone. There’s a reason Barca have desperately been trying to flog Coutinho - they need the money. They also owe most of the Coutinho fee to Liverpool still (oops).
    As for Atletico - again - look at the players going out. They have to sell to buy (Griezmann, two defenders to Bayern, etc).
    Real are in the best shape, but even they have been staying away from Galacticos other than Hazard. Their other big purchase was Jovic. They’re being quite open that Mbappe won’t happen in the near future.

18. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It won't show up in the stat sheet, but Pulisic plays a big part in Chelsea's second goal. He draws two defenders and gets fouled, but as he's fouled the ball gets to Mount who feeds Giroud for the second goal.

It's pretty obvious Wolves wants anyone other than Pulisic to beat them today. They have two guys close to him every time he touches the ball.

Burr, gogorath, glutton4Bolts and 2 others repped this.
  19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Yanks Abroad Thread is a mire of negativity about CP's play today... The overreaction is nauseating. It wasn't CP's best game... especially in the 1st half. But he was being keyed on by Wolves... he was an integral part of the 2nd goal... and after making run after run at the CBs he was rewarded with a single ball over the top and he took his player one-on-one and won a FK about a foot out of the box. Alonso, in particular, just refused to pass it over the top to him today. Now, I won't give him a free-pass for his performance. It was his worst since the restart... but so what? How great has he been? How can anyone expect him to play that well every game? It just isn't realistic. So many CP fans have gotten too spoiled by his fantastic play. He has one game where he isn't electric and now his future as a starter is in question. Pathetic.

ebbro, rgli13, SteelyTom and 2 others repped this.
  20. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don’t get the people who think Pulisic should get 2 goals and an assist every single game. It’s nauseating.

It wasn’t his best game, but Wolves had a lot to do with it. From the opening whistle, they basically had someone man-marking him. When he got the ball, a second player closed down.

Sometimes, you have to not force the game and rely on your teammates.

21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word. And as people have deftly pointed out... when Werner, Ziyech and likely Kai are all on the field they really won't be able to do that. Today Wolves clearly went out there saying "We are not going to get beaten by CP"... After a relatively poor 30 minutes or so, I thought he changed up his game appropriately and played better. I wish they had a better left-wing-back that could help in transition and attempt a few balls over the top for him. You could see him making several runs in the 2nd half and Alonso just wouldn't pull the trigger. All that being said... My expectations for CP are now quite substantial but even with the additional fire power coming in I expect him to have a down game every once in a while. Just unrealistic to expect him to be fantastic every game.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    he seemed to have a kink in his leg or something. He was overhitting the ball.

Wolves were playing very narrow and Willian didnt play so there wasn't a lot of stretching the pitch on the right. Pulisic missed one great opportunity when he failed to put the jets on as James got to the endline and passed to nobody because Pulisic had not arrived in time. Mount had a good game along with Giroud and James. I could defnitely see Dest on that right side if Willian is leaving which I believe to be the case.

23. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CP blows a tire again after scoring and might be out for an extended time period. All of the new players coming in and CP likely won't be there. Gotta hope it is just a tweak but it look pretty bad. Fugg. Finally a world-class player and he goes down right when he is dominating.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on what happened. If it’s just pull he will be fine. If he tore it he will be out for a while.

25. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having had that injury that looked more like a tear the way he went down and the pain he was in. Sure hope not. Feel so bad for the guy and its clear Chelsea is much better with him on the field than without.