Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pioli to be convinced by Pulisic to coach the US in the next cycle!

adi21, Centennial, ChicagoVT and 5 others repped this.
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It also depends on what you mean by "good" and "harder." We've seen enough of bottom EPL clubs up close and personal to know that they can make a sow's ear out of a silk purse with the best of them. It changes season to season and even week to week, but the top half of the top 4 leagues are generally in the same ballpark level-wise. If we just look at players we know really well who have played across 2 or 3 or 4 of the leagues, it's pretty clear that it's not very clear that one is "easier." More like different types of players thrive a bit more (or less) in the various leagues - and on various types of teams, even.

Allende72, MayaDempsey and superdave repped this.
  3. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    In "The Italian Job" by Vialli, he compares and contrasts managers from the UK and Italy. One of the things he talks about is the difference of how coaches talk about tactics. I'm guessing Pulisic is used to the English coaching style and has found Pioli to be a breath of fresh air.

russ repped this.
  4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Also, everybody hates Tuchel. He is reputed to be a real ahole.

jmplautz repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Tho, TBF, Pulisic's only real British "manager" was Lampard (and Potter, I guess). Now, how much of the Chelsea behind the scenes "coaching" is done in a British style is a different question, but most of CP's club coaches have been non-Anglo.

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seems like a weirdo soccer autist. He would fit in well here.

nbarbour and DCU1984 repped this.
  7. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    English coaches are terrible.
    Which is why one still hasn't won the pl.

Imagine a German manager never winning Bundesliga.

Heck, a few italians have won pl including the gentleman ranieri

nbarbour, Excellency, jmplautz and 2 others repped this.
  8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    You can say the same about English players.

When was the last time England won an International trophy?

Once, in 1966 World Cup.

Never won the Euro.

nbarbour, uniteo, Dervos and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Rossonero23

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Surprised you weren't banned for that lol

jmplautz repped this.
  10. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Free Speech brother!

11. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Insane that this is true! Alex Ferguson being Scottish is critical to this of course.

nbarbour, Rossonero23, russ and 3 others repped this.
  12. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was just about to say that. Not sure I give Scottish soccer much of a leg-up vs. English, but point well taken regardless.

13. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    In the past 25 years, by my count there have been 24 different managers (representing 14 different nations) who have finished top 3 in the Premier League. From what I call tell, the only English manager on that list is Bobby Robson, who led Newcastle to a 3rd place finish in 2003. Outside of that one season, all of the other managers to finish top 3 in that period were non-English.

(There have been a few other English managers that have finished top 4, however, including Harry Redknapp, Eddie Howe, and the aforementioned Frank Lampard. And, obviously, Alex Ferguson has a lot of appearances on that list if you want to count UK managers from outside of England. Brendan Rodgers also has a single top 3 finish to his name.)

14. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    upload_2024-4-11_13-47-22.png

Apparently official starting XI for Milan, including half of everyone's face for some reason. Musah and/or Adli likely subs in the midfield, Chukwueze available to come in for Pulisic if/when desired.

Winoman and smokarz repped this.
  15. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    BostonRed and Winoman repped this.
  16. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    If Cheek is not doing well, I can see Pioli bring in Chuk for the right wing and move CP to CAM.

17. Rossonero23

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Thiaw and gabbia.

Thiaw is due a good performance. Baby Nesta can't do it all

18. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough loss. Complete bunker from Roma after they scored.

Puli and Reijnders tried but the rest of the attack was just poor. Can't believe Giroud missed that sitter.

Would have liked to have seen Chuk on for RLC with Puli moving central. We might see that in the second leg to start.

nbarbour and TimB4Last repped this.
  19. Rossonero23

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Girouds miss was unbelievable.
    Great run by chuk

Pissed off but it is what it is

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    A couple of good saves in the Roma net as well. Tapping Adli's chip off the bar is not easy. Theo could have hit one off the corner as well. Milan's shooting radar was for sure out of calibration today.

21. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That ref had a howler. The early goal made the game state such that Pioli should have made some tactical adjustments.

Maybe different personnel changes, but there is no getting around Milan are a diff team when Rafa isn't up for it. I know it is heresy to suggest that they might be better off cashing in on Rafa and spend some money in other places but I am borderline heretic in this regard. When he is not working to find the game when in possession then he is useless. I guess you leave him out there in the hope that he might have some spectacular moment and win it in the end, but I can't handle the in between parts very well.

RLC...guy is an enigma to me...It doesn't appear that Pioli views him as an 8, but I don't like him much as a 10.

Reindjers, well there might be reason he had clear sight of goal several times from thirty yards out...is was almost as fi Roma wanted him to take those shots....Not a bad strategy on the day. # goals in 30 games doesn't exactly strike fear into opposing teams.

Pulisic nothing special, but put in a hard working shift. Needed some help.

nbarbour repped this.
  22. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
  23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Jovan Kirovski coming over to take over Milan U23 team.

Won't be long until we see a bunch of American kids in Milan's youth academy.

russ and ChicagoVT repped this.
  24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    We’ll know soon, but the speculation is that Pioli will rotate heavily today at Sassuolo and save Pulisic (and others) for Roma on Thursday.

“That means Milan will be able to call upon the likes of Tijjani Reijnders, Ismael Bennacer, Christian Pulisic, Olivier Giroud and Noah Okafor off the bench.”

Predicted Milan XI (4-2-3-1): Sportiello; Florenzi, Kjaer, Thiaw, Theo; Musah, Adli; Chukwueze, Loftus-Cheek, Leao; Jovic.

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Pulisic is on the bench (Musah starting) at next-to-last Sassuolo.