Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    He didn't change the formation searching for answers to a midfield problem. He changed it because Calabria and Hernandez were injured.

2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was fortunate to catch the Newcastle game there at San Siro (constantly trying to peek through the unfortunately located railing in the second deck, second row) and it was similar to what you are saying. When he came on for Chuk there was a definite spark for the team which came with it. Milan as a team were so wasteful on offense that game and should have won it easily. But, that is soccer.

Pulisic was not just plugging up the middle on D as some here said. He definitely was helping a lot on D but he was then getting out wide right often when Milan had possession. It's pretty obvious this is not Pulisic just doing whatever he feels like but rather he is following the coaches tactics. It reminded me of a clip of Klinsmann I saw once where he closes his fist and opens and spreads out his fingers while explaining defense is "tight closed fist" and offense is "spread out fingers wide" to create space.

4. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    I think Milan missed Theo. What a player he is. Takes so much of the pressure off the front line and makes the midfielders' jobs much easier.

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Since you seem to understand a lot, can you let us know what are Pioli's instructions to CP?

6. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I have no idea what his instructions are to Pulisic or the rest of the team. There have been some comments in the press about him wanting the attack to be more balanced and less reliant on hero ball from Leao, but I haven't seen that turn into a reality this season. It may be that what the manager wants from his players and what the manager gets from his players is not the same thing.

As I mentioned before, I think the biggest thing holding back the attack is the midfield. It's pretty unremarkable for a team like AC Milan. With the midfield doing very little to create opportunities for the attacking trio, the team's best bet to score is Leao playing hero ball. You sometimes get a spectacular goal from that. However, it's really inefficient. Leao would be so much more effective if he didn't have to rely upon his athleticism to get looks all on his own.

Pegasus repped this.
  7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it interesting Chukwueze started midweek and then didn't even get subbed on vs Verona.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    How high or low attackers play is often/usually a team tactic.

9. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    they were holding onto a 1-0 lead. Pioli must line Okafor’s pressing/defense more and for set pieces than chuk.

10. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Dude. Please keep this conversation in the FIFA 23 level.

New Hallmark mini series: Touched in the box, a Christian Pulisic story.

nbarbour and Scissorkick Collins repped this.
  11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And surprisingly the team and coach's solution appears to be Gio Reyna in the January window.

12. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Based on a twitter rumor from some french dortmund account?

Pegasus repped this.
  13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    That's good enough for me to imagine how nice it would be for someone with the ability to pass to a forward in a dangerous area playing in the Milan midfield.

RossD and russ repped this.
  14. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Yes, they will climb up a bit and end at mid table

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    "In attack, Olivier Giroud and Rafael Leao should rest, thus meaning a trio of Christian Pulisic, Noah Okafor and Samuel Chukwueze from left to right."

Probable Milan XI (4-3-3):
    Sportiello; Florenzi, Thiaw, Tomori, Theo; Loftus-Cheek, Adli, Reijnders; Pulisic, Okafor, Chukwueze.

https://sempremilan.com/gds-probable-xis-cagliari-ac-milan-2023

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  16. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    If that happens, I will be curious to see two things. First, what the absence of Leao means for opportunity creation. Second, whether a CP who is closely marked off the ball out on the wing can be more dynamic than he was last time that happened.

17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Pulisic starts! Milan visiting Cagliari.

[​IMG]

As projected earlier​

18. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    With so many matches coming up, rotation is necessary. If you're going to take out two of your 3 starting forwards, I guess now is as good a time as any. I hope CP plays well with this lineup. The past couple of games, he's moved inside more when nothing is happening on the wing. But now that he's on the left (I think), who knows?

RecLeague Super Sub repped this.
  19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    This is a good chance to work on the left with Hernandez and Reijnders.

Pegasus repped this.
  20. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Can someone please post his touches in the box stats post match. I’m away from a TV and the suspense is killing me

USA-Zebuel, ChicagoVT, acima and 6 others repped this.
  21. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I turned the match on in the 30th. Pulisic had 1 late in the first half, after which he disgracefully crossed to set up a goal, rather than adding to the count.

Pulisic made the same disastrous error in the middle of the 2nd half after another 4 touches. He wrecked the day for Milan by getting an assist, rather than concentrating on the stat that counts.

nbarbour, USA-Zebuel, Magikfute and 7 others repped this.
  22. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    The second one was particularly egregious. He had so much room to penetrate the box and get lots of dribbles, and selfishly passed it to Loftus-Cheek instead.

Also, can I say that?

USA-Zebuel, Zinkoff, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't watched yet but

24. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, his non-assist was better than his assist...

For the official assist, he gave ball to top of the box to RLC who hit a really great strike. Fine, fair enough, and all production is production... but that's really more about the strike. But his non-assist, he beat someone to the endline, pinged a cutback which the keeper fumbled, and the loose ball got buried. Real good move there, even if he doesn't get the full credit for "production".

Pretty good match from him, this is the way we want him trending. :thumbsup: