Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Pulisic and Musah both start!

[​IMG]

2. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    See if CP can overcome his "bad form." Because one poor game followed by one just kind of okay one is absolute proof that he's currently trending downward.

:D

3. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Just when I think we get to have nice things with Pulisic and Musah to start the game for the first time it’s Musah playing well and Pulisic playing worse. It’s as if one has to play poorly for something good to happen for the other.

Would love to see them combine for a goal at some point. The season is still young.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    CP was okay in the first half and played well (for him) defensively--the goal doesn't happen without his pressure. He didn't have a good second half and had problems with the wet conditions all night. It was frustrating that we couldn't see more out him.

Musah looked really nice in the first half and was more mixed in the second. I like what I'm seeing.

Winoman, DCU1984 and TimB4Last repped this.
  5. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    He’s had 4 mediocre games in at row dude.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Deeneaus repped this.
  7. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Couldn’t hold the player of the month title…always October though.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    AC was pretty mediocre 2nd half. Couldn’t really break the press, except a few fast breaks, and weren’t great in possession. Not terrible and still 2nd but they need to be more effective in front of the net. Grinding out 1-0 wins is not what they should be doing with that talent.

DCU1984 repped this.
  9. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Reijnders looked lost in this system, he was invisible. That's left Pulisic as the pretty much the only player getting touches in the middle of the field.

10. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the coach was satisified with Pulsiic's play judging from the warm embrace when he came off. Enjoyed the game. Enjoyed seeing CP more central and was thrilled with his commitment to defending. Very nice move in the box to shoot right at the keeper, but thats how it goes sometimes. It will be itneresting to see if Pioli continues with the tactical change. I like the setup and how it works for CP. Hope to see more of it.

Moishe repped this.
  11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was an improved performance but in a game where no one from Milan stood out, he didn’t either. Same for Musah.

12. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    I took the hug as more of an encouragement because Pulisic was clearly frustrated with his day. I do think Pioli trust him and he has a way longer leash than he did at Chelsea. Let’s hope he has a nice couple next games, because I think the last few, including usmnt duty, have been slightly lacking

zanderbz, mattjens and DCU1984 repped this.
  13. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I was at the game, seated very high up. So I didn’t see any of of the TV commentary. But I thought he looked bright and more dynamic than the last two performances. He was involved offensively, playing centrally behind the front line. He made a few runs that weren’t noticed, and he and Giroud had some combination ideas that they couldn’t quite execute. He dropped deep and defended well, and energetically, which isn’t always the case for him. I’m not sure I saw much reason for criticism other than that he had the ball taken off of a couple of times. But he also took it off other people a couple of times. He was much more of an overall contributor than Leao, but Leao finishes his chances, and that’s not nothing.

superdave, ChicagoVT, mace and 13 others repped this.
  14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Criticism probably comes from him having many opportunities to do something with the ball at his feet and it not resulting in much of anything. His energy was good... but with so many touches & ball collections, he needs to do more.

The turn and shot in the box was dangerous. But after having just watched I struggle to think of any more good attacking moments from him in the whole match.

DCU1984 repped this.
  15. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Yeah Leao is a tough player for me to root for. He is lazy on defense and gets dispossessed a good deal. The entire attack is most often funneling through him and he seems to kill off his fair share of them. But once or twice a game he is jaw dropping brilliant, and he puts the ball in the back of the net more often than not. That is massive in the game of soccer. Anybody who can do that is going to be considered a star.

Thx for the report from the game!

twoolley, TimB4Last and dspence2311 repped this.
  16. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I don’t know if they talked about the hail storm about a half an hour before the game, but it was something.

RecLeague Super Sub repped this.
  17. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    He didn't really rise above his team during those 4 matches, but he didn't really sink below them either. He didn't have a great overall offensive game today, but his defense was pretty good. It's not clear whether he's on a downward spiral, but there isn't a particularly strong indication that he is. He definitely can do better, and I hope he does. If the past 2 matches are the best he can do at Milan, I'll be very disappointed. Let's see.

NorcalHockeyhooligan repped this.
  18. Numero Dos

Numero Dos Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Houston, TX
    That’s how I saw it. I was surprised to come on here and see such relatively negative comments. I thought he had a pretty strong game and was influential. Musah had a good game, too. I’ll go look and see whether he got negative comments, too.

RunthePoint repped this.
  19. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only watched the second half but I thought he looked bad other than the one great chance he created. He was visibly frustrated and angry at himself. He needs to control his emotions when things aren’t going well.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Milan in general has a sync problem but it’s early days. Aside from inter no one I’ve seen so far looks quite settled yet. Pulisic needs to feed Giroud so he doesn’t look so hangry all the time. Thought he might bite Musha when he didn’t get him that goal line ball sooner(which, to be fair, Musah shoulda)

21. Catenaccio88

Catenaccio88 Member

Cavalry FC
    England
    Sep 23, 2023
    Christian best game still the opener against Bologna back in the 1st game of serie A, it's not a good sign

22. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Losing both of your starting outside backs can turn an easy game into a harder one - especially when one of them is a plausible selection for a world best XI.

That's not just bad luck, though. It seems like Milan doesn't have anywhere near the depth they would need to compete for the scudetto while also going far in the CL.

russ and freisland repped this.
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    And even with that, the attack just doesn’t seem to be meshing. 2 goals in 3 games… even the 4 in 4, is pretty slim, even given Inter and Newcastle. The AC attack has to be more productive than that.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fans are not happy with Pioli. Just not seeing many complaints about individual players in comparison to the manager.

The front 3 did not create nearly enough in the run of play. Leao's goal obviously came off a turnover. Most think it's ridiculous 37 yr old Giroud is being asked to start every game. Fans are blaming Pioli and the system. A knew formation today btw.

25. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    To be fair, Leao without the goal, was worse.