Christian Gomez

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by markspence02, Jan 24, 2008.

1. markspence02

markspence02 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    Fort Worth
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would you give up to DC to get Christian Gomez? It seems like we gave up our best bargaining chip to LA in Ruiz. What do we have to offer? Toja? Alvarez?

Also, would Gomez be worth a DP spot?

2. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2008/01/gomez_moreno_ej_and_supplement.html

Not interested. According to Soccer Insider, he wants 500,000K over 2 years and felt unappreciated at the end of the DCU season . . . sounds like a "high-maintenance" player . . . but I could be wrong. Maybe he'd fit with FCD and be worth the DP price . . .

But would you SERIOUSLY trade Toja or Alvarez for Gomez . . .??

3. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Gomez's price has gone way down now that everyone knows he's not going back to DC.

I doubt he would cost much more than Ruiz did. Is he worth our DP though?

I think I remember Dario saying he's friends with Gomez.

4. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Gomez would be perfect if you guys are going 3-5-2 next year, as rumored.

A midfield of:

Alvarez-----Gomez------Ricardinho
    -------Toja-------Ricchetti--------

WOW

Add CAP's Rocha on loan up top with Kenny and then you'd have a damn strong team.

5. markspence02

markspence02 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    Fort Worth
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alvarez? yes Toja? No

I would like to see Gomez in a FCD uni, but I would not sign him as a DP. Could we use "allocation" money to lower his cap hit so he would not be counted as a DP - similar to what the Crew do with Guillermo Barros Schelotto?

But who do we have to offer?

6. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Mark Spence. I'd trade Alvarez. But, I don't know about using a DP spot for him. That said, better to give it to him than not use it or gamble it; he's a proven commodity.

7. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I would think the only way to get Gomez would be to trade him for allocation money..if DC is adding all these players they are rumored to be, that would help differ costs for them, while ridding themselves of a player who doesnt fit into their plans. win-win, ya? now, does dallas trade for him using allocation dollars, then use more on him to lower his cap hit? that seems like a lot of allocation bucks on one player. maybe we can trade a 2010 pick...i kid dc fans...i kid.

8. markspence02

markspence02 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    Fort Worth
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah - how about our 2nd round and 3rd round in 2010 from the Crew? :)

9. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Gomez would get us any closer to winning the MLS Cup.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is taking a big chance when midfielders get 32 and above. It could work out but a lot of them start running out of steam about then. Sure is a big gamble to give big money for several years. The idea is to find the next Gomez at the age he was when he first came to MLS or even younger like Toja.

11. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    Gomez has been a great player for DC. They are looking to trade him for a reason. Statistically, he struggled the second part of the year. Part of that, though, is the change in their tactics - he used to play as an attacking central mid, and in the current scheme, their central midfielder is more of a true central mid.

put him back in the 3-5-2, though, and I think he would excell again. I think he can be had for the same stuff LA gave us for Ruiz. He would be a great fit in a 3-5-2, and would fill a need we dont have. Toja CAN play that attacking mid spot, but his strength is not vision and passing, he is not a natural fit. He is better on the outside of the 3-5-2 or as a two way player behind the attacking mid.

Probably worth a move.

12. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always find it funny how people use the word rumor.

13. UncleHulka

UncleHulka Member

Jan 14, 2005
    This is Morrow, afterall. Two strikers? Would be nice, but I doubt it. Another year of a 4-5-1 hybrid.

14. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what does that have to do with the misuse of the word rumor?

15. UncleHulka

UncleHulka Member

Jan 14, 2005
    A "misuse" on my part, as I thought you were disputing the formation. I concede the fact that I'm a bit of a cynic, very much hoping to be converted.

16. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wasn't saying anything about the formation.

Many a BS poster says something is "rumor" after it was either said they the coach or reported by some normally reliable media person.

17. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    I haven't seen anything from TLo or Steve Davis about going to a 3-5-2:)

18. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Agreed. I will go even a step further. Once Gomez dons a FC Dallas Uniform, he will immediately become a non-performer. Stay away from this guy. I would rather FC Dallas find its own talent from South America than to trade for an unhappy older Argentine. This guy will become a problem if FC Dallas takes him.

19. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    Gomez has been nothing but professional with DCU. There are no indications that he would just quit or not try as hard if traded here.

20. Foousic

Foousic New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Washington/Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you guys were to make a play for Gomez, I think it's fair to say you would have to offer up a decent player (most likely a winger) like Alvarez plus a draft pick, or allocation money. Gomez has been the heart of our team for a while now, I don't think anyone wants to loose him but it seems that there's no way he'll stay. He'd be a great pick up for most teams, and his play in my opinion has most certainly not declined (see the 2nd leg of the Chicago series). Personally I'd rather be in you're shoes right now as Gallardo is an un-proven talent in our league, and I have a sneaking suspicion that he might be Denilson 2.0.

21. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    No offense, but Gomez has said he's not going to come back to play for DC and he likely wouldn't come back to MLS if he left this season so his rights are nearly useless. I highly doubt he would cost any more than Ruiz did(some allocation money and draft pick or two)

22. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock New Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Actually it seems Gomez's value to DC as trade bait is quite a bit less than his value to some team as a player. Meaning, DC will be lucky to get a draft pick and some allocation money for him now. Every team in the league knows that if DC doesn't trade him, he goes to another league on a free transfer and DC ends up with nothing.

23. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Gomez does not seem the "FCD type" the FO would fall for head over heals for, does he? FCD is all about South America right now. If he had been playing with Boca/Chivas/River/CA the past few years he'd probably be worth a DP slot with us. :rolleyes:

Actually, since his situation sounds somewhat similar to Ruiz's with us, makes you wonder if there could have been a deal worked out here. Then again, maybe such a move would have prevented the Davino signing plus the others coming down the pike. I believe Gomez scored 7 goals last year, same as Ruiz.

24. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Christian Gomez actually scored 10 goals and had 9 assists. But, then again, he wasn't partnered w/ Abe Thompson and Dom Oduro. This is exactly the kind of player we need. Someone who can QB the attack and add the nuances of changes of pace to the game that only the international veteran types seem to bring. Folks, I hate to say it, but this may be as good of a chance at an impact player we get all year.

As for his style meshing w/ the coaching style... we must find guys who can create and dictate tempo w/o relying on the dribble. We will lay in the scorched ruins of summer if we intend on fielding another run-forest-run type of team.

Potential drawbacks? DC probably plays a better hand of poker than do we. They may try to stick it to us. Also, could Dax emerge into this type of player? This might delay getting an answer to that question. Age is also a concern. We've parted with two really great players that were in their 20's. If we added Gomez, we would have instead added two players in their 30's.

Those of you paying attention know that we have some huge holes to fill. While AA and KC would be ok and even good 2nd forwards in this league, we still lack a decent #1 target striker. This is going to take a hefty amount of green to fill. KC thrives off of supporting an attention drawing target man. He struggled terribly when asked to play that role. No way is AA or any other roster option equipped to play that way.

We don't have anything close to a starting quality left back, if the kid is going to be a midfielder and not a full back.

If Drew is put in the middle, (God help us), we will have 4 inside backs and no right outside back, put one of those on your shopping list. (Murilo Do Santos?)

We don't have a right midfielder who can cross the ball. Put that on the shopping list. (Rocha?).

So yes. We need a lot of help. But, starting w/ a proven attacking playmaker would be a good start. I'd say if you can make it happen w/o giving away the ranch, then do it.

25. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    see, now this is the kind of terrific post Theo is capable of that really ads to the discussion. Good stuff.