Chris Leitch, now is your time to shine

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Quakes05, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    "silly one off stuff" like a key signing right at the buzzer, at a critical point in the season, with the potential to change our fortunes, even somewhat? nothing much about that impresses you? or makes you feel even a little better about him assuming the role permanently?

2. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    we'll have our hands full Sunday, it would be beyond amazing if Ebobisse made his debut and scored for a tie or a win but realistically he's going to need time to settle in. losing Flo leaves us weaker defensively, Rossi and Vela are going to be tough to shut down, but that doesn't take much away from what CL was able to get done here.

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    :ROFLMAO:

4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #254 Quakes05, Aug 7, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    again, Ebobisse is likely to need some games to settle in and adjust. the team will also be adjusting to the loss of Flo. the team might struggle for the next game or two as they settle in but overall I see this as an important step in the right direction.

5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    This deal was a feather in the cap of Leitch. It was complicated math and it looks like Leitch had to work the Jungwirth deal simultaneously. I hope this gives Fisher the confidence in Leitch to make him the CSO in September.

Leitch said an interesting thing in the Ebobisse introductory news conference. He said that Jeremy is the type of player that the Quakes are looking for going forward with their project. He didn’t exactly say that Jungwirth was traded because he’s getting older, but it was implied that Ebobisse was rising in value while Jungwirth was decreasing.

So if Chris does get the job, I expect veterans to be moved out and the team to target younger players. I expect more like Chofis/Fierro as opposed to Rios/Vega.

Leitch made it sound like Almeyda agreed going in that direction and the roster changes were a collaboration between the front office and coaching staff. Character was an important trait that Leitch emphasized. If Leitch stays in charge then the “selling team project” will continue but likely with more of a domestic and less international bent.

I think Jesse lost some credibility in Fisher’s eyes when he said he’d attract players like Vako and sell them on for big profits. Cowell and Ebobisse will be where the actual money is made.

Quakes05 repped this.
  6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003

7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

8. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #258 Quakes05, Aug 7, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    sometimes @JazzyJ, two things can be true at once, as in this case; great move by Chris, strengthens his case for GM. and, at the same time, big loss for the team losing Flo, weakens our defense, but hopefully others can pick up the slack.

9. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS

hopefully the great Chivas USA part duex experiment is nearing it's conclusion and we're going to see a more balanced player acquisition strategy. this move suggests that. I'm skeptical we'll be a successful selling team until we get the culture of the club turned around and get on a more successful path, build up our facilities and generally look more attractive to the brightest young talent.

but this move seems like an important step in the right direction and all credit to Chris for getting it done.

10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    In life, Q05, as much as we'd like to sometimes, we cannot have it both ways. We can't praise the move as "great" while at the same time saying that it "blows a big hole in Quakes defensive capability, creates a leadership vacuum and probably diminishes our overall fight/compete factor significantly."

11. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    it's not "the move" though. these were two separate moves, each with their own unique impact. not complicated really.

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Come on - it was essentially a trade - Flo for Jebo. No Jebo, no Flo trade. They were completely related. Leitch even characterized it as such, but said it had to be done in 2 parts, i.e. could not be done with one team (probably lack of significnat interest in Flo from Portland).

13. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    you're kind of being obstinate again and it's too early, still on my first cup of coffee over here, but alright, if we must...two players = two potentially different impacts. Jebo coming in looks like a brilliant move, just what we needed, very exciting, looking forward to his debut! Flo leaving is disappointing, I know you agree, sad to see him go, his departure will likely set us back a little (one obviously hopes not) given his tenacity, bravery, leadership and all around competitiveness. doesn't matter if the deal was related, the coming and going of these players impact the team in different ways, you should be able to grasp that. :)

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm not being "obstinate". The truth is not "obstinate", it just is. :)

We got something of value, we gave up something of value. You see the "giving up" part as a big hit ("blows a big hole in Quakes defensive capability, creates a leadership vacuum and probably diminishes our overall fight/compete factor significantly"). You are trying to walk that way, way back now as "sets us back a little" :ROFLMAO:) to retrofit to your thesis. But the damage is done. You're not sure if it's a net positive, and so you can't at the same time call it "great".

15. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    losing Flo is a big hit. not walking anything back and we're going to find out together if it's a net positive, I'm optimistic that it will be (over time) given what I've heard so far from and about our new #9.

and, I'm impressed that Chris was able to get this done, it's incredibly rare to see a move like this in SJ even though it comes at the expense of one of our favorites players.

my last word with you on the subject.

16. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Promise?

17. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    that @JazzyJ and I are done on this subject? yup.

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Haha, Q5, this thread was dead - had run its course, and then last night you suddenly decided it would be a good idea to revive it by digging up a bunch of quotes by multiple people in order to try to dunk. Unfortunately sometimes when you choose to try to dunk, the ball winds up back in your face. That’s the risk you choose to take when you try to go up for a dunk :). You buy the ticket, you take the ride!

19. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    9B6F603C-48FE-4D1B-8B43-D04F8C2E828A.jpeg

You a big Hunter S Thompson fan? Fascinating guy, well played by Johnny Depp I thought.

JazzyJ repped this.
  20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Not necessariliy a big fan mainly because I'm not that familiar with his work, but a really interesting guy, for sure. I got that phrase in my head from a kind of over-the-top guy in the political sphere, who probably in turn got it from Hunter.

21. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    The Atlantic just posted an article about the 3 GM openings in MLS and the top qualified candidates. Since it's behind a paywall I won't link it, but here are some interesting things in the article about Chris Leitch.

"What has become clear, though, is that Leitch has the experience to qualify as a viable candidate for openings in San Jose and beyond. If San Jose ultimately looks elsewhere for their appointment, don’t be surprised if Leitch is in the running for other clubs’ vacancies."

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Actually he was about 20% more successful than Almeyda (41% is over 20% higher than 34%).

23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #274 JazzyJ, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    If it helps you, bs, 41 is 20% higher 34. Better?

Put another way, if one coach won 40% of the time and another 20% of the time, the former won 2x the number that the latter did (100% more), not 20% more!

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sample size.

Scott Rohde repped this.