Chris Bergin: San Diego Chivas will follow MLS rules according to Trey Fitz-Gerald

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by pc4th, Sep 18, 2003.

1. deg2k

deg2k New Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Austin, Tx
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chris Bergin: San Diego Chivas will follow MLS rules according to Trey Fitz-Ger

Fine you prove to me he gives a **** about the league and players other than Mexican for creating the Chivas USA club. All of his press interviews been completely negative towards more american players getting the opportunity to play for a new *american club* which it won't be. I don't know why some of have blinders on concerning this. Your only answer to how it helps is 10 million dollars. 10 million only goes so far in professional sports. We shall see. Tell you what, if what you say comes true including the opportunity for americans(not just mexican americans) to play then I will be HAPPY to post on this board how I was completely wrong about the man however if not then I would respectfully like to see the same response from you.

this thread is dead till the results on this man come in.

2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Chris Bergin: San Diego Chivas will follow MLS rules according to Trey Fitz-Gerald

You do realize that this assumes the other GM's in the league are going to say, "Well, he's Mexican, so therefore I'm not gonna try to pick him up because the goat guy wants all the Mexicans."

3. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    okay, as Kenn used to say
    GIVE ME A LINK. PROVIDE US A LINK to where Vergera says that he will inject non-American players into the league? If i remember correctly, he says he wants Chivas to have a Hispanic-Americans flavor. Last time I check, Hispanic-Amerians are Americans.

4. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chris Bergin: San Diego Chivas will follow MLS rules according to Trey Fitz

If you believe, as some do, that at least some Mexican-Americans are so far outside the usual US circuit for talent-scouting that we're missing out on them, then this new American club will indeed by providing more opportunities for Americans if it finds them.

5. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comments by Vergara and other Chivas officials in print and radio interviews haven't been nearly as consistent or extreme as some of the fretting and hand-wringing here assumes. Vergara and his minions have made a pretty wide variety of comments about how they intend to build and market this team.

There's simply no way to reach a reasonable conclusion at this point about the composition of its roster or its target market. If you really must jump to unwarranted conclusions anyway, at least don't assume the worst scenario in every case.

6. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Certainly !!! ...was just thinking of this while watching LA-DCU game, with the expansion each MLS team will have to provide a list of protected players, and the new Chivas will be built from the available players + 3 foreigners and developmental players and so on. Vergera will have to play by the MLS rules, but he can pick a team of all hispanic sounding names if he so desires and MLS has pleanty of them, so why not its very possible that is what he has in mind.

7. deg2k

deg2k New Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Austin, Tx
    Re: Re: Chris Bergin: San Diego Chivas will follow MLS rules according to Trey Fitz-Gerald

Don't forget he has to give ALL americans the opportunity not just mexican americans. It's highly likely TI & SI slots will be used. I seem to recall that MLS HQ may raise the SI slots to 4 yes? Oh and I am sure Chivas can find several green card holding players as well living in cali.

Yes can't wait to see the flavor of this team. ;-)

8. deg2k

deg2k New Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Austin, Tx
    So you think the club will consist of all Hispanic Americans? Only if he absolutely has no choice then maybe but that would be inconsistant with the makeup of the others MLS clubs which will ignite negative reactions from other fans, press, and possibly some clubs as well.

If you want links then do a GOOGLE search. They are not hard to find. I NEVER said Hispanic-Americans were not Americans.

9. Let's hope Garber will announce San Diego as well tomorrow (in addition to Colorado) and then we'll know for sure.

10. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Re: Re: Chris Bergin: San Diego Chivas will follow MLS rules according to Trey Fitz-Gerald

I vaguely remember that the U.S. Government has laws against discriminating on the basis of race, religion, or ethnicity. You must be the 100th bozo who's conveniently forgotten that fact during this debate.

Sorry, but you're not livin' in the real world, dude.

11. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Chris Bergin: San Diego Chivas will follow MLS rules according to Trey Fitz-Gerald

dude you need to wake up and get your head out from under the law books and look around you ,in the Real World . Laws are one thing and facts of life are another. Besides i was just trying to figure out what Vergenas thinking was and never advocating he do that, besides once your an american no one can say *#*#*#*#. Listen if i was lets say polish in a heavely populated polish area i would definetly try my best to get as many polish players on my team, but withing ethical limits of course. One would hope there are still ethics out there and common sense. Like it or not Chivas San Diego will have lots of hispanic players, and as long as they are americans and the club follows MLS rules no one can do *#*#*#*# about it, but you have a right to bitch as much as you like.

12. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Let's return to the "real world", then. In the real world that is soccer in the US, we desperately need to nurture the inner-city in order to expand the talent pool for USMNT. We've minted the suburbs and will continue to do so. But where are the barrio kids?

In the "real world", Telemundo paid 3 times as much $$ as ESPN b/c Latinos actually watch footie, and it doesn't compete w/ 4 other major sports for attention. The fact that Telemundo would spend so much money is indicative of the buying power of a sector of society that is COMPLETELY IGNORED by the Anglophone sports media. The LA Times (which serves as area that is about 35% Mexican) rarely publishes anything about MFL, which makes a significant amount of money from US Latinos. THIS IS THE REASON WHY VERGARA IS COMING, b/c he recognizes the potential of 20 million Mexicans residing in the US plus another 19 million Latinos plus a ton of non-Spanish speaking immigrants that are soccer savvy plus a ton of "Anglos" that are waiting for a top-flight league.

In sum, what Vergara will try to do is bring a brand name that instantly has an appeal amongst a huge group. Many US-Mexicans will instantly HATE Chivas SD. Great! They'll call their family in Mexico and bag on 'em. Oh, and the Mexican press will actually cover this team, which will build MLS's name in Mexico.

Ppl, the world will not come to an end. This is good for US Soccer. This is amazing for the USMNT. The $$ is great for MLS. Remember, this "American" league is LOSING MONEY. What is so bad about a soccer savvy and passionate foreigner trying to help out so that the league can start making everybody money and putting on a top-flight league?